News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryM

I'm confused,

Does the current module work with 2.0 RC1's auto install method or not?

If not, will it ever or must it be hand installed always.

I can wait for an auto install version - no big deal.  However, if it will never work auto install then I will delete it and move on.

Thanks,
Perry

HR

Well, given there are usually drastic code changes between a beta and RC releases.. or even RC to RC (this is why the term final isnt in place yet then I would say if your having issues to look at your own code base and determine what the issues are if in fact its not reporting an error when you install the thing.

Personally I dont see a point in changing for every single RC for 2 reasons
1. RCs are commonly NOT recommended for a production environment
2. Why got from RC 1 to 2 etc. and have to redo every little thing

In my particular case the beta was out when I started. So that is where I went if I have to repeatedly do upgrades and redo everything then it will be to a final rev.

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.
If I do it and you implement it its a crap shoot.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: manicbe on February 11, 2009, 09:24:18 AM
hi snoopy_virtual

the issue is that I had to install manually because the installer didn't do the trick ... he told me that it was installed but didn't change the files
so I addapted the scripts myself

This answer will be good too for robinrobin (I think).

Let me try to explain these a little slower to see if it is more clear.

The installation of this mod is exactly the same one as any other mod I have ever seen in SMF (and I have seen a lot of them already).

With SMF 1.1.8 the installer for the mod version 2.1 do a few changes to some of the files inside the Sources folder.

You shouldn't have had any error message with any of these files. Have you?

Apart from that it also do a few changes to the files:

1 - ManageMembers.template.php

2 - Register.template.php

Inside the Themes/default folder.

And also to the file:

3 - Modifications.english.php

Inside the Themes/default/languages folder.

Of course, depending of what languages you have in your forum it will try to modify as well other Modifications.what_ever_other_language_you_have_here.php inside your Themes/default/languages folder, but if it cannot find any other, it will just skip these files. (You can see the full list of the languages actually supported in the mod's page)

When you install the mod you shouldn't have any error message with these files either.

If you get any error message here you should stop the installation and tell us what error you got.

Anyway, if you haven't got any error messages so far but you don't use the default theme, after the installation you need to look inside your Themes/custom_theme folder to see if it has any of the files marked above as 1 and 2 and also inside your Themes/custom_theme/languages folder to see if you have there any Modifications.what_ever_language_you_have_here.php

If you have any of these 3 kinds of files inside your custom theme then is when you need to do a few changes to them manually.

In any other case the installation script should be completely automatic and you shouldn't be making any changes to any file for the mod to work.

Just one little detail.

As any other mod installation for SMF with new images, this mod add 3 files:

• moreinfo.gif
  • spammer.gif
  • suspect.gif

And it puts them inside the Themes/default/images/icons folder.

If you have a custom theme you need to copy these 3 files inside your Themes/custom_theme/images/icons folder.

If you (I mean manicbe) have followed already these steps.

Did you get any error at all during installation?

What files did you have to modify?

Are you sure you modified them properly?

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: PerryM on February 11, 2009, 09:49:28 AM
I'm confused,

I can wait for an auto install version - no big deal.  However, if it will never work auto install then I will delete it and move on.

Thanks,

I am administrator in 10 different forums, but I have all of them in SMF 1.1.8

I am not going to upgrade any of them to SMF 2.0 until it goes stable. I never use betas or RCs installations in a production site and I always use the latest stable version.

That's why I am answering usually only the questions about SMF 1.1.8

Anyway, as I see here so many people asking questions about the mod's installation in SMF 2.0 I have done this morning a new forum with SMF 2.0 RC1

It's only a test forum and most of the users and posts inside it are only pretend ones. (Anyway any of you wanting to test new things are welcome there. Maybe we could have also a few real users and posts and maybe even attract a few spammers so we can practice with them  >:(  >:(  >:( )

As I was saying I installed there this morning SMF 2.0 RC1

It's the first time I see it working. I am completely new to SMF 2.0 but after I finished the installation and I played a little with the forum configuration I installed M-DVD's mod using the Package Manager inside the Admin section and everything went completely smooth and automatic.

It was installed in less than a second with no errors at all.

So if any of you are having problems to install it in a SMF 2.0 RC1 forum you are doing something wrong.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

PerryM

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on February 11, 2009, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: PerryM on February 11, 2009, 09:49:28 AM
I'm confused,

Thanks,

I am administrator in 10 different forums, but I have all of them in SMF 1.1.8

I am not going to upgrade any of them to SMF 2.0 until it goes stable. I never use betas or RCs installations in a production site and I always use the latest stable version.

That's why I am answering usually only the questions about SMF 1.1.8

Anyway, as I see here so many people asking questions about the mod's installation in SMF 2.0 I have done this morning a new forum with SMF 2.0 RC1

It's only a test forum and most of the users and posts inside it are only pretend ones. (Anyway any of you wanting to test new things are welcome there. Maybe we could have also a few real users and posts and maybe even attract a few spammers so we can practice with them  >:( >:( >:( )

As I was saying I installed there this morning SMF 2.0 RC1

It's the first time I see it working. I am completely new to SMF 2.0 but after I finished the installation and I played a little with the forum configuration I installed M-DVD's mod using the Package Manager inside the Admin section and everything went completely smooth and automatic.

It was installed in less than a second with no errors at all.

So if any of you are having problems to install it in a SMF 2.0 RC1 forum you are doing something wrong.

Well I just installed smf 2.0 RC1 and v 2.1 of this module and I get the error:

The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: is_spammer

The whole procedure took 2 minutes to do - nothing else done.

That's all I can report from a user's standpoint.

is_spammer field exists (tinyint(3)) in the smf_members record; it's empty.

Hopefully someday this module will work on smf 2.0 - good luck; I'm moving on to other developers who consider me worth the time....
Perry

HR

Empty as in a value of 0 or empty as in there is a space there?

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.

M-DVD

Quote from: PerryM on February 11, 2009, 02:26:40 PM
The whole procedure took 2 minutes to do - nothing else done.

This package uses the same XML than others. Uses the same packages manager as everyone else.

If it takes X time, it is because of how busy it is your host.

Furthermore, it is open source, you and everybody can see that this package does nothing unusual.

Well I just installed smf 2.0 RC1 and v 2.1 of this module and I get the error:

The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: is_spammer

is_spammer field exists (tinyint(3)) in the smf_members record; it's empty.

Hopefully someday this module will work on smf 2.0 - good luck; I'm moving on to other developers who consider me worth the time....

The package already installs this column. Anyone can see it checking the file install_2.php, and you could see it in your own DB.

What you want me to do?

Your problem is a bug already reported in RC1.

Is it uncomfortable? possibly yes. But is the risk it takes when it decides to have a Beta product.

If you haven't soul of tester and you want a product 100% functional, then use product stable

Sorry for not replying before, unfortunately I have a life to attend, and I can only give free support when I arrive at night.  :-[

Remember that access to this, is a priviledge, not a right.

I also say, good luck.

--

manicbe, Could you do me a summary of what you've done so far?

manicbe

review/summary:
- tried to install SFS with the installer, installer showed that the installation succeeded but there was nothing to see in the admin panel only in the mod panel it showed that it was installed
- tried to uninstall SFS by panel but message was the the uninstall failed
- review the php files of the forum and nothing seemed to have changed

** to be honest the installation of mods was always a problem, failed always **

As I wanted the mod i've addapted the SMF source files myself with the help of the manual installation files

** remark: there is an error in mySQL query that you see in this page - it is not complete - so addapted it and added the vars**

Everthing worked, all icons are showing only the check doesn't work
Error in admin panel:
"If the Connection Fail with DB Anti SPAM...:
Your host couldn't make connection to the DB, Try again later
If it continue see Topic of Support and search Known Issues"

Errorin the error log of SMF:
"2: curl_setopt() [<a href='function.curl-setopt'>function.curl-setopt</a>]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when in safe_mode or an open_basedir is set
Bestand: /home/httpd/vhosts/retabo.be/httpdocs/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Regel: 2152 "

Asked for help here

Installed cURL fetch_web_data
As the package installation failed again installed it manual with the help of the manual installition files

settings from phpinfo:

safe_mode Local Value: Off Master Value: On
safe_mode_exec_dir Local Value: no value Master Value: no value
safe_mode_gid Local Value: Off Master Value: Off
safe_mode_include_dir Local Value: no value Master Value: no value
safe_mode_allowed_env_vars Local Value: PHP_ Master Value: PHP_
safe_mode_protected_env_vars Local Value: LD_LIBRARY_PATH Master Value: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

CURL support  enabled 
CURL Information  libcurl/7.12.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.2.1.2 libidn/0.5.6 

I reviewed already several times the php scripts to see that I didn't make any error but everthing seems to be ok
Changed in the mean also the API-key
Also added the code in the "dutch" language files of the forum

addapted files:
ManageMembers.php
ManageMembers.template.php     ManageRegistration.php
Modifications.dutch-utf8.php   Modifications.dutch.php
Modifications.english.php      Register.php
Register.template.php          Subs-Members.php
Subs-Package.php               Subs.php

snoopy_virtual

To manicbe

As I said before, all the things I have done and the versions I'm using are the same as yours.

I also said that the values in my phpinfo are more or less the same as yours. But they are not exactly the same.

So I have been thinking that maybe the problem is just these small differences.

Yours:
safe_mode Local Value: Off Master Value: On
safe_mode_exec_dir Local Value: no value Master Value: no value
CURL Information  libcurl/7.12.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.2.1.2 libidn/0.5.6

Mine:
safe_mode Local Value: Off Master Value: Off
safe_mode_exec_dir Local Value: /usr/local/php/bin Master Value: /usr/local/php/bin
CURL Information     libcurl/7.15.5 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.10

I don't think the small difference in the cUrl version is a problem. (not too different anyway)

Also I don't think the problem is the safe_mode_exec_dir. I don't know what's that directory for, but I suppose that, as the master value for safe_mode is Off in my server, it must be the place to put exceptions or something like that.

I think the problem is that the master value of your safe_mode is On.

As your local value is Off, it means that somewhere inside the directory where you have the file phpinfo.php there is something changing the value safe_mode to off but just locally inside that directory.

Normally this is done with a php.ini file.

It can be done also with .htaccess, but I think this doesn't work when in safe mode anyway, so I suppose it must be a php.ini

Look inside your web root directory.

I mean something like /home/your_user_name/public_html The folder where you put the files to be seen in the web.

Search for a php.ini file there.

If you find one, open it with notepad (or similar) and search for this line:

safe_mode = off

If it's there it means that's the way your safe mode has been turned off locally.

If it's not there (or if there is not a php.ini to be seen nowhere) it means that your server admin must have turned off locally somewhere else.

Try to contact him if you can.

Anyway it's not a big problem. If you turn it off twice it stays off.

So if there is a php.ini but it hasn't got that line, just add it to the bottom

If there is no php.ini, create one yourself (new text document and rename it to php.ini) and write inside the above line.

No need for any more dots, semicolons or anything else. Just that line.

The problem with php.ini is that it only affects the folder that it's in, so if you want your forum also in safe mode you need to copy your php.ini (either the one you found in your web folder or the new one you created) inside the folder where you have your forum.

/home/your_user_name/public_html/you_forum

That will be enough. If you want (just to be sure to be sure) copy your php.ini inside the Sources folder. Or even all the folders in your server. But I don't think you will need that. (hope)

Let me know.

rajiv1975

HI M-DVD and snoopy_virtual

I am using 1.1.8 and installed your mod, It installed in one go and works perfectly.

But today When I was trying to register a member from my admin panel I received these errors :

QuoteDatabase Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' '', 'username', '', 1, 0, 4, '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', ' at line 3
    File: /home/*****/public_html/Sources/Subs-Members.php
    Line: 790

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.8, while your database is at version 1.1.6. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Quote8: Undefined index:  spammer
    Line: 706

After uninstalling the mod I again tried to register  a member from admin cp and there was no error and member was registered.

Please help

Regards

Rajiv

M-DVD

Rajiv:

Ok, I will check this.

And You can give me this info exactly for PM?

Database Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' '', 'username', '', 1, 0, 4, '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', ' at line 3
    Line: 790

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: rajiv1975 on February 12, 2009, 09:45:18 PM

But today ... I received these errors :

QuoteDatabase Error: ...

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.8, while your database is at version 1.1.6. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

If your SMF files are in 1.1.8 but your database is in 1.1.6 you need to do an upgrade.

You need to get this zip file:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-8_upgrade.zip

Open it and find inside the files:

• upgrade.php
  • upgrade_1-1.sql

Upload both of them to your public_html folder.

Then point your browser to:

http://www.where_ever_is_your_forum.com/upgrade.php

And follow the instructions on the screen to upgrade your database.

After that try to install again the mod and tell us if everything went ok.

rajiv1975

Hi snoopy_virtual

When I upload upgrade.php it shows

A Major Security Risk
you have not removed upgrade.php

and if I continue with

http://www.myforumname.com/upgrade.php [nofollow]

It gives a 500 internal server error.

Please help

rajiv1975

Quote from: M-DVD on February 12, 2009, 09:55:11 PM
Rajiv:

Ok, I will check this.

And You can give me this info exactly for PM?

HI M-DVD

Do you want me to send a PM to you with exact details of the error ?

Regards

M-DVD

Yes, i want exact details of the error (for PM or here, as you like)

Meanwhile, you can try the suggestion given by snoopy_virtual.

I just want be sure, and I try to replicate what happened in your forum where the error occurred.

rajiv1975

PM sent

If you want some more details please let me know

Regards

Rajiv

HR

Because there are no actual database alterations just use your phpMyAdmin and in the settings table change the version variable to 1.1.8 and the error goes away.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: rajiv1975 on February 12, 2009, 10:51:51 PM

When I upload upgrade.php it shows

A Major Security Risk
you have not removed upgrade.php

The file upgrade.php needs to be deleted after you have used it.

You are suppose to upload it, use it (it takes only a couple of minutes) and erase it. (In that order)

If it doesn't work properly, delete it, find why it wasn't working and do the full process again later.

Quote from: rajiv1975 on February 12, 2009, 10:51:51 PM

and if I continue with

http://www.myforumname.com/upgrade.php

It gives a 500 internal server error.

A 500 error is too generic.

You should check your server error log to see what was causing the error and give us more details.

Anyway I suggest you should post your question as well in this forum:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=10.0

It's the specific forum for Install and Upgrade Help and you will find there people solving problems like that every day and with more knowledge about possible problems installing and upgrading SMF than me.

I'm not a specialist on that matter. Anyway, as I said, if you tell me what it says in your server error log files I can try to give you a hand as well.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: HR on February 13, 2009, 07:48:59 AM
Because there are no actual database alterations just use your phpMyAdmin and in the settings table change the version variable to 1.1.8 and the error goes away.

Are you sure there are no database alterations between 1.1.6 and 1.1.8?

If that's true then rajiv1975 doesn´'t need to use upgrade.php.

Just the change you suggest in the settings table should be enough.

snoopy_virtual

I think you should read this first:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Advertisement: