News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

Thanks Snoopy_virtual, i use smf 2.0 RC3 so i should be fine.

EL34xyz

Thanks for that image link snoop
A picture is worth a thousands words is the old saying.

Is there any order that you would suggest installing these mods
I have found that the install order does make a difference on some mods in the past
Stop Spammer
HttpBL
Anti spam verification question

ZBWDO,
Thanks for the info on Anti-Spam verification question
I may install that mod and uninstall Join reason
The Join Reason author just does not seem interested in doing free stuff, which means updating the Join reason mod

I do like to see hand typed answers to questions as the last barrier to forum membership
It also tells me a bit about the person joining the forum.

BTW, this forum does not send me emails
I never get notifications even though there is nothing wrong with my email address
I receive hundreds of emails a week without any problems
I have emailed the admin but they have no idea why.

I'll try to remember to check the mod for updates
If possible, maybe you can let us know here also when the new update is ready.

ZBWDO

Any idea why "There is one member awaiting approval." seems to be stuck on my index page, even though there is no one in queue to be approved?  Thanks!

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: ZBWDO on October 01, 2010, 03:03:44 AM
Any idea why "There is one member awaiting approval." seems to be stuck on my index page, even though there is no one in queue to be approved?  Thanks!

I suppose you haven't read this tread.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

EL34xyz

Ok Snoop

Singed up with Honey pot
Installed it on the server
Got my Http:BL access key
Just waiting for new Http:BL version and then I will be ready to go

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 01, 2010, 08:15:05 AM
Quote from: ZBWDO on October 01, 2010, 03:03:44 AM

I suppose you haven't read this tread.

OK, I have been searching the thread and found one of the times somebody asked exactly the same:

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on August 27, 2010, 12:28:47 PM
Quote from: Syrion on August 23, 2010, 11:01:46 AM
Hi snoopy_virtual,

Thanks for creating this mod, appearently it blocked a couple of dozen spammers already in the last couple of days.

Anyway, I may have found a bug, I get the message "There is one member awaiting approval." while no one actually is.
Any idea what may cause this?

That's a known bug.

If you search inside this thread you will find it has been reported a lot of times and even some people have written some work-around.

If you check also our "road map": http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547#post_roadmap you will see it is already in the list of "Things to do in the near future".

Please search the thread and read the instructions before asking the same a hundred times.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: EL34xyz on October 01, 2010, 08:42:24 AM
Ok Snoop

Singed up with Honey pot
Installed it on the server
Got my Http:BL access key
Just waiting for new Http:BL version and then I will be ready to go

It would be better to keep sepatare subjects in its proper place.

This thread is to talk about mod StopSpammer.

The thread for mod httpBL here in SMF is this one:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=366399.0

And there is a lot more information in the httpBL section in my own site:

http://www.snoopyvirtualstudio.com/foro/index.php?board=30.0

EL34xyz

ZBWDO

My apologies.  I *thought* I had.  I'm generally pretty darn good about that.  The only thing I can think of was that I might have had a misspelling in my search, or otherwise screwed it up.  My apologies, and thanks very much.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: ZBWDO on October 01, 2010, 03:22:27 PM
My apologies.  I *thought* I had.  I'm generally pretty darn good about that.  The only thing I can think of was that I might have had a misspelling in my search, or otherwise screwed it up.  My apologies, and thanks very much.

No problem, and I'm sorry if I was a little rude, but yesterday I was too busy trying to finish the new version for mod httpBL and I had to stop a lot of times to answer questions, just to find  out most of them were repeated ones, so at the end I lost my temper a little.

By the way, for anybody interested that new version for mod httpBL is finished.

You can read about it here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=366399.msg2804564#msg2804564

And you can download it here:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2155

======================

Now that it's finished I will start again working on the new version for this mod StopSpammer.

I suppose I won't be able to do it straight away, because normally every time I publish a new version of any of my mods I need to spend the first few days answering hundreds of questions, but it will be very soon.  ;)

geekartist

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on September 28, 2010, 10:27:54 AM

Can you look inside the folder of the Theme you are using and see if you have inside it any of these files?

• ManageMembers.template.php
  • Register.template.php

If you have any of them the installation process is slightly different than normal.

In the mean time I will continue thinking to see if I find out any more things I can suggest to sort your problem.

I did post a response to everyone's questions but I haven't gotten a response yet. One of the suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall, however I realize I need some extra information before I do.

I was asked the question above and responded with: yes, they are there.

However, reading over the documentation on this package, I don't see anything about *what* I need to do to those two files when I do an install. So I can't uninstall/re-install yet. I'm not seeing anything definitive in a forum search either.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do differently on an install when I have those two files?

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: geekartist on October 03, 2010, 10:40:31 AM
I did post a response to everyone's questions but I haven't gotten a response yet.
etc...

Sorry geekartist, I have been too busy and forgot to answer you.

I have been looking at your profile and I have seen you are very new here in SMF, so may be you still don't understand completely how it works.

I think you have misunderstood our question. I will try to explaining more slowly, now that I know you are new here.

Inside the Themes folder there are all the Themes installed in your forum, but that doesn't mean you are using all of them. The normal situation is you have a bunch of Themes installed but you only use one of them.

One of the Themes you have installed (for sure) is the default Theme.

You can un-install if you want the rest of the Themes, install more new Themes, modify any of the other Themes, etc, but you can never un-install the default Theme. It always need to be there (even if it's not the Theme you are using) or SMF will stop working.

Inside the default Theme there are a lot of files (all the template files SMF need to work properly), but inside any of the other Themes usually there are only a few of them. (At least always the index.template.php, the css file this particular Theme is using and maybe a couple more of template files this Theme needs to work).

When SMF needs to use a template file, it always looks first inside the Theme you are using to see if it's there. If it's there, SMF will use it. If it's not there SMF will use the file inside the default Theme instead.

When you install or un-install a mod, normally you will always do it using the automatic system (what we call the SMF Packages Manager) because it's the easiest way and normally it will display an error message if there is a problem with the installation or desinstallation before you actually complete the process, so you are sure it's going to be OK to do it.

But when you install a mod with the Packages Manager it will always do all the changes needed to the Source files, root files, etc, but inside the Themes it will only change the default Theme.

If you are using a Theme that is not the default (like almost all of us do) you will need to manually do the required changes to your template files, and these changes can be found always on the mod's page at the top right corner. Just underneath the "Download this mod" sign, where it says: "Manual Install Instructions for SMF".

Now again:

Can you tell us the name of the Theme you are using?

Can you look inside the folder of the Theme you are using and tell us if both files are there?

geekartist

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 03, 2010, 07:42:07 PM
Quote from: geekartist on October 03, 2010, 10:40:31 AM
I did post a response to everyone's questions but I haven't gotten a response yet.
etc...

Sorry geekartist, I have been too busy and forgot to answer you.

I have been looking at your profile and I have seen you are very new here in SMF, so may be you still don't understand completely how it works.

I think you have misunderstood our question. I will try to explaining more slowly, now that I know you are new here.

Inside the Themes folder there are all the Themes installed in your forum, but that doesn't mean you are using all of them. The normal situation is you have a bunch of Themes installed but you only use one of them.

One of the Themes you have installed (for sure) is the default Theme.

You can un-install if you want the rest of the Themes, install more new Themes, modify any of the other Themes, etc, but you can never un-install the default Theme. It always need to be there (even if it's not the Theme you are using) or SMF will stop working.

Inside the default Theme there are a lot of files (all the template files SMF need to work properly), but inside any of the other Themes usually there are only a few of them. (At least always the index.template.php, the css file this particular Theme is using and maybe a couple more of template files this Theme needs to work).

When SMF needs to use a template file, it always looks first inside the Theme you are using to see if it's there. If it's there, SMF will use it. If it's not there SMF will use the file inside the default Theme instead.

When you install or un-install a mod, normally you will always do it using the automatic system (what we call the SMF Packages Manager) because it's the easiest way and normally it will display an error message if there is a problem with the installation or desinstallation before you actually complete the process, so you are sure it's going to be OK to do it.

But when you install a mod with the Packages Manager it will always do all the changes needed to the Source files, root files, etc, but inside the Themes it will only change the default Theme.

If you are using a Theme that is not the default (like almost all of us do) you will need to manually do the required changes to your template files, and these changes can be found always on the mod's page at the top right corner. Just underneath the "Download this mod" sign, where it says: "Manual Install Instructions for SMF".

Now again:

Can you tell us the name of the Theme you are using?

Can you look inside the folder of the Theme you are using and tell us if both files are there?

No problem on the delayed response. You're volunteering your time, so hey no worries. :-)

I think I grasp the basics of how SMF works. While I haven't worked with it before, it seems pretty straightforward as these things go.

I get how templates work, no problem there. I work heavily with WordPress, so same concept it seems.

We are using the default theme and yes both of those files are there.

Basically, my confusion came in here when you mentioned that the install goes differently if those two files exist.  I didn't see any information specifically addressing those 2 files, thus my confusion.  If they don't need changing when using the default theme, then the point is moot.

Now that you've explained the situation with the manual instructions, I think I see what to do now. That box on the right was a little counter-intuitive for me...I thought all it was was just a download box for the mod. The parse part was what threw me. Granted, I've been sick the past couple of days and not quite functioning at full capacity, so please pardon my momentary dim-wittedness. I should have clued in on "parse"...heh.

Thanks so much for the information. You've been a huge help. I'll give this a shot Monday morning when I'm hopefully a bit more clear-headed and with any luck, somewhat recovered. This will help if the person I'm doing this for decides to change themes later.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: geekartist on October 03, 2010, 08:13:31 PM
Now that you've explained the situation with the manual instructions, I think I see what to do now. That box on the right was a little counter-intuitive for me...I thought all it was was just a download box for the mod. The parse part was what threw me. Granted, I've been sick the past couple of days and not quite functioning at full capacity, so please pardon my momentary dim-wittedness. I should have clued in on "parse"...heh.

Hold on a second:

If you are using the default Theme the installer should have done everything already for you automatically.

If it hasn't, there was something wrong with the installation.

If you have no problem reading code, maybe it would be better if you use the "parsed" instructions to check exactly what instructions the installer has actually done and which ones it has missed, so you can fill the blanks.

Alternatively, just in case this parsed instructions are not complete (I don't know really because I have never use them) there is another way to do it (the way I normally do it when I am installing a new mod that I don't know):

Take the zip file with the mod, unzip it and read the files inside.

Every mod always start with the file package-info.xml

Inside it you will find 4 sets of instructions: to install in SMF 1.x, to uninstall in SMF 1.x, to install in SMF 2.x and to uninstall in SMF 2.x

Read the instructions to install in your version and follow them. It will tell you the order of the files you need to look at and what you need to do with them.

=================

There is only one catch here. If you are following the parsed instructions and it tells you: "Find the code so and so and add after it so and so" it really means add AFTER it literally.

But if you are reading the xml files and you find:

<file name="so and so">
<operation>
<search position="before"><![CDATA[

It really means add AFTER

And:

<file name="so and so">
<operation>
<search position="after"><![CDATA[

Means add BEFORE

Be careful with that.

=====================

I use always this way when installing a mod I don't know because this way I can read all the code in the order it is going to be executed and see if I like it or not.

crustybum

I cant se a control that will allow mods ect to use this, or do they automatically see the "check this member"?

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: crustybum on October 04, 2010, 06:26:24 AM
I cant se a control that will allow mods ect to use this, or do they automatically see the "check this member"?

Sorry I don't understand you.

What version of SMF do you use?

Have you installed mod StopSpammer?

If so, what version?

During installation with the Package Manager (just before the actual installation) all the actions were marked as either "Success" or "Skipping file" with no errors at all?

And finally, the more important question:

What the heck means "mods ect"?

crustybum

Apologies,

I have installed the latest version   StopSpammer_v2_3_7.zip and am using smf version 2.0 RC3 , what i wanted to know is will my moderators/global mods (what dont you underastand about etc? ::)  ) be able to use this? for example when i go to someones profile i can see a list on the left including "check this member"(when the mod is installed) what if i want others including moderators to use this?

Thanks

snoopy_virtual

OK, I see. "mods ect" was just a typo.  ;D

Actually I have never bother too much about this because I don't trust nobody enough to do that important task, so in all my forums only admins can do this.

So I left it the way originally M-DVD did it when he started this mod.

What M-DVD did was not to create a new permission to be able to see this, but he used the permission "Allowed to: Moderate forum members". You can find that permission inside:

Admin => Members => Permissions => Permissions by Membergroup => (Choose the membergroup you want) => Modify => General Permissions => Member administration => Moderate forum members

By default, as far as I know, only admins have that permission ON. Even Global Moderators have it OFF.

If you want some of your users to be able to use as well mod StopSpammer you will need to change that permission for that group.

Anyway be careful with that permission. Any member with that permission will be able to do too many things: Not only check if any member is in SFS DB (StopForumSpam database), but also delete any member, change any profile, etc.

Even (and that's the most dangerous part) they will be able to report any member to SFS and add them to the DB. Either by mistake or on purpose if they don't like somebody.

It's up to you if you trust your moderators enough to give them so much power.

Anyway, if you want to check exactly how much power your mods have do this:

• Create a fake user with any name you want.
  • Enter your forum as admin and modify the profile of this new fake user you have created to put him inside the group "Moderator"
  • Now modify the permissions of the moderators any way you like
  • Then log out as admin and log in again but using now the username and password of your new fake user
  • You will see your forum exactly the same as any moderator, so go and try to do something to see if you can

If you don't like the way it is, log in again as admin and change the permissions again and repeat the process until you are happy.

Repeat all the process again with the group "Global Moderator".

geekartist

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on October 03, 2010, 09:40:18 PM

Hold on a second:

If you are using the default Theme the installer should have done everything already for you automatically.

If it hasn't, there was something wrong with the installation.

If you have no problem reading code, maybe it would be better if you use the "parsed" instructions to check exactly what instructions the installer has actually done and which ones it has missed, so you can fill the blanks.

Alternatively, just in case this parsed instructions are not complete (I don't know really because I have never use them) there is another way to do it (the way I normally do it when I am installing a new mod that I don't know):

Looking over everything in the parsed instructions, it looks like everything is in there as it should be. However, in Modifications.english.php I see what I assume to be info from other packages installed after the Stop Spammer info. One looks like it's used to generate error pages, the other looks like it belongs to IP2Location.

Maybe those could be the culprit.

Otherwise, it's uninstall/reinstall time. At a guess, maybe some kind of file corruption. Maybe the install just choked at some point going in.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Syrion

Quote from: ZBWDO on October 01, 2010, 03:22:27 PM

Once you have approved or killed any (false) positieves it'll be gone as well.

Advertisement: