News:

SMF 2.1.2 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF Quiz

Started by Diego Andrés, February 18, 2009, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

Quote from: davejo on April 23, 2012, 05:39:17 AM
Quote from: Realinfo on April 23, 2012, 04:23:19 AM
But from where we can get more and more quiz.xml ................

I have created 28 seperate category packages for a total of 530+ quizzes which I have installed on my site. I have sent Emanuele a link to them so he can post them as either as one package or as individual packages.

As this is his mod now he is the one to decide how and when they are distributed.

I assume it's the same package as the one you offered before but with categories now?   I ask only because I have 3 players who are actually coming up to having taken 300 quizes and when they're done... they're done... it would be nice to see new quizzes created again.   I suppose I could buy a book of trivia and go at it...

GlitchPC

#581
Okay...I updated to the latest version.  Just had to make one simple edit to Subs.php.  Just a heads-up...I had no issues with the quiz_images folder.  I just made sure it was there for my custom and smf curve theme.

Some aesthetic issues, though...and I will post them as I come to them.

If you are like me and use the left navigation menu in the Admin Control Panel of SMF...then you're going to run across this issue...(see attached image of the Quiz Admin Center).  Just a note...if the left navigation menu is collapsed...then you won't see the overwritten text as I have as shown in the attached image.

Is there a fix?  Thanks, in advance...

Edit...

Another issue...(see attached image of the Quiz Maters block).

Edit...

Another issue...(see attached image of Information Board)
The date is displayed with the time included.  Why does the time need to be there?  The date is sufficient...don't you think? The date column isn't wide enough, either for the displayed date format.  Also...using alternating colors for separate entries is not really aesthetically pleasing...as I'm sure you can see from the attached image.  While the first entry separates the date and information...the following entry does not...due to the secondary colors.

Edit...

Quiz Admin Categories column titles need to be white text, please.  (See attached image)
Quiz Admin Questions column titles need to be white text, as well.

That's about it...for now.  Not that I'm being picky...or, anything like that.  However...I can be a pain in the butt.   ;)

emanuele

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 23, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Okay...I updated to the latest version.  Just had to make one simple edit to Subs.php.  Just a heads-up...I had no issues with the quiz_images folder.  I just made sure it was there for my custom and smf curve theme.
Good to know! :)

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 23, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
If you are like me and use the left navigation menu in the Admin Control Panel of SMF...then you're going to run across this issue...(see attached image of the Quiz Admin Center).  Just a note...if the left navigation menu is collapsed...then you won't see the overwritten text as I have as shown in the attached image.

Is there a fix?  Thanks, in advance...
Not that I know...sorry...

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 23, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Another issue...(see attached image of the Quiz Maters block).
In what page are you exactly?
And what browser are you using?
And at what resolution?

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 23, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
The date is displayed with the time included.  Why does the time need to be there?  The date is sufficient...don't you think? The date column isn't wide enough, either for the displayed date format.  Also...using alternating colors for separate entries is not really aesthetically pleasing...as I'm sure you can see from the attached image.  While the first entry separates the date and information...the following entry does not...due to the secondary colors.
Regarding the alternation: I'll continue change the look of the mod in the next releases to be in line with SMF, so...later.
Regarding the time...not important not useless...from the time being I'll keep it.
Regarding the width...what's the resolution you are using?

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 23, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
Quiz Admin Categories column titles need to be white text, please.  (See attached image)
Quiz Admin Questions column titles need to be white text, as well.
...mmm...
Easiest solution is: open SMFQuizAdmin.template.php, search for:
Code (find) Select
<table class="bordercolor" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%">
<tbody>
<tr class="titlebg" valign="top">


and then remove the class="titlebg" from the <tr> tag.
The same applies to few other similar headers like in questions.

HTH.


Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D




Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

emanuele

Quote from: GlitchPC on April 22, 2012, 03:44:17 AM
Thanks...I'll look into that.  However, it would be a good idea to give Admins the ability to change a user's results within the mod...since there is a "Dispute" form...don't you think?  I mean...what good is a dispute...if one can't change the outcome?  Just sayin'...
At the moment the only thing I can do is track it: https://bitbucket.org/emanuele_smf_projects/smf-quiz/issue/22/change-previous-quiz-results-after


Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D




Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

GlitchPC

Emanuele...

I'm using the latest version of Firefox at a resolution of 1024x768.  The Quiz Masters block is on the main page of the Quiz.

XHIBIT911

Quote from: emanuele on April 21, 2012, 02:33:42 PM
It could be a problem of clashing javascripts...

* emanuele goes check how Fancy box works.

You're absolutely correct. I have 55 mods running and after installing the new quiz it installed seamlessly but...when taking a test quiz it hung. Good thing i checked the post here and had an idea of what might be causing the issue.
I simply uninstalled fancybox and PRESTO...game on. Good catch !
Now its just a matter of me getting familiar with creating my own custom quizzes and uploading images.

Thanks once again for everyone who contributed to this helluva mod

Dave J

Quote from: XHIBIT911 on April 24, 2012, 10:08:23 AM
Quote from: emanuele on April 21, 2012, 02:33:42 PM
It could be a problem of clashing javascripts...

* emanuele goes check how Fancy box works.

You're absolutely correct. I have 55 mods running and after installing the new quiz it installed seamlessly but...when taking a test quiz it hung. Good thing i checked the post here and had an idea of what might be causing the issue.
I simply uninstalled fancybox and PRESTO...game on. Good catch !
Now its just a matter of me getting familiar with creating my own custom quizzes and uploading images.

Thanks once again for everyone who contributed to this helluva mod

Glad it's worked out Ok for you  ;)

Dylert

Great mod! The installation went well, and I'm ready to try it. But where do I find quizes? I have found the pack of 10 quizes om the mod-site, but it would have been nice with some more.

Thanks a lot!  :)

TheListener

I'm in the same boat as you Dylert

However you can make ya own quizzes.

Dylert

Yes, I'm going to make some, but it would have been nice to have some quizzes to start with...

TheListener

Emanuelle has not long taken over the mod so some patience will be necessary.

Dave J

Quote from: Dylert on April 24, 2012, 06:15:28 PM
Yes, I'm going to make some, but it would have been nice to have some quizzes to start with...

If you have access to your database and are able to drop tables etc then read my post here

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293949.msg3286796#msg3286796

emanuele

Sorry, I'm fighting with SMF these days.

@davejo: I know you sent me a PM, still have to answer...sorry... :(


Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D




Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Dave J

Quote from: emanuele on April 25, 2012, 06:10:38 AM
Sorry, I'm fighting with SMF these days.

@davejo: I know you sent me a PM, still have to answer...sorry... :(

not a problem Emanuele  :)

Eclipse16V

Quote from: davejo on April 03, 2012, 06:44:08 AM
Quote from: Eclipse16V on April 03, 2012, 05:52:36 AM
Hi,
I become this error:

"You have already played this quiz league over the maximum amount of times allowed for this round
Please return when the next round starts."

It´s a new quiz and a new league.
No user can play this quiz.

How can i fix it?

I don't know if this will work but....

Try going into 'Admin/Configuration/Quiz/Maintenance' and then remove the default '7' in 'Complete Quiz Sessions Over' then click on 'Run Task Now' and repeat the same for 'Clean Information Board Over' (do not put a 0 in the box just leave it blank)

This will clear out any quizzes that have been started but not completed...warn your members first as they may have deliberately not finished a quiz.

Once thats done try again...if it works OK then repeat the process so you can start the Quiz League from scratch.
Thanks, but it doesn´t work.
I install now the new version of this Mod 1.1.0
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

emanuele

Most likely it won't change anything: I don't remember I touched anything related.

Unfortunately at the moment I have no idea of what could be the issue here...
Usually the quiz leagues are not correlated to the number of times a quiz has been played.

Did you try to create a new league?


Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D




Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

CircleDock

#596
I want to thank Emanuele for reviving this mod and releasing a version that works with SMF 2.0.2 - and for not breaking anything on my site where we tested his various revisions!!

I know he has great plans for the Quiz mod and I've given him a "shopping list" of changes and enhancements I'd like to see which includes the provision of BBC in question and answer texts.

From my members' perspective, there is only one weak area and that's Quiz League Results where only the current top scorer's results are displayed (as well as "your" position if you're participating). That's hardly a league table which should show all the participants, their results and movement since the last update  - something like this:

                           ------ Round 3 Results ------      --------- Cumulative Results -----------
Position  Member's Name    Right   Wrong  Time-Outs  Time     Right  Wrong  Time-Outs  Time   Movement
    1       John Doe        10       5        0       94       25      6        0       185   up 1
   =2       Jane Doe         9       6        0       95       24      7        0       186   no change
   =2       Fred Smith      10       5        0       98       24      7        0       187   down 1
    4       You             11       4        0       94       23      8        0       187   up 4


There remains a major issue. All the images and JS scripts used in the Quizzes are stored in the default theme's images and scripts trees respectively. That's fine if the only theme available is the default theme but for sites that allow for more than one theme, this will be an issue. I suggest that all images be stored in "$boardurl . 'SMFQuiz/Images/'" and scripts in "$boardurl . SMFQuiz/Scripts/'" where they will be readily accessible regardless of theme.

sharks

Thanks a lot for developing this fine mod, emanuele! :D Please keep up the great work!!

Maybe in the future, you might consider making this compatible with SMF 1.1.16?

emanuele

Quote from: sharks on April 29, 2012, 03:33:59 AM
Maybe in the future, you might consider making this compatible with SMF 1.1.16?
I have around a version that *should* work (more or less) with SMF 1.1.x (that is the one I'm using on my own forum...yeah, too many things to do to even upgrade my own forum lol). I did few changes (don't even remember what I changed) and I should clean it up a bit...
Anyway it would be a completely unsupported version, at the moment I'm moving even further away from SMF 1.1 in the development of this mod, so it would be a dead version unless someone else would provide active support for it.

Quote from: CircleDock on April 29, 2012, 02:30:01 AM
There remains a major issue. All the images and JS scripts used in the Quizzes are stored in the default theme's images and scripts trees respectively. That's fine if the only theme available is the default theme but for sites that allow for more than one theme, this will be an issue. I suggest that all images be stored in "$boardurl . 'SMFQuiz/Images/'" and scripts in "$boardurl . SMFQuiz/Scripts/'" where they will be readily accessible regardless of theme.
It's not an issue at all and is done on purpose: all the images and scripts are accessed through the default theme urls, so even if you are using a different theme they are loaded properly. Nothing to change here.


Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D




Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Chalky

I have just installed this on my heavily-modded test forum with no errors at all  :D  I did have to uninstall Fancy Box for the quiz to run (thanks for the heads-up), but, having just taken davejo's Cult Movies quiz, many of the questions are cutting off before the end.  I don't know of course if this is to do with the mod or the quiz pack.  I attach a screenshot:

Advertisement: