News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

To move a SMF-forum

Started by totaltutankoll, June 14, 2009, 04:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

totaltutankoll

I'm thinking of moving my forum to another domain - I'm not going to change my host - and wonder how to do this.

In my simple not-being-a-professional-hacker way of thinking it feels like all I have to do is to upload my forum-files to the new directory and domain and then change my settings-file to match the new domain.

Is this correct or incorrect?
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Non, je ne regrette rien!

Norv

Correct, and almost complete :)
So the database remains in place?
Besides the settings.php file, there are though a few more settings that matter, which are stored in the database, like for example the path to your themes directory. That will not match anymore. But it's not a big problem: after the move, you can use the file repair_settings.php (you need to upload it to your forum new directory), to correct the rest of the paths.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

totaltutankoll

Aha :D

But the thing about the themes won't it be ok to change this via the theme-settings in the admin-panel?
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

JBlaze

Quote from: totaltutankoll on June 14, 2009, 05:05:27 PM

But the thing about the themes won't it be ok to change this via the theme-settings in the admin-panel?

It's better to use repair_settings.php to change paths. Does it all in one go :)

What is repair_settings.php?
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Norv

So, yes, you can use that one too! It's just that if you take a look at repair_settings.php, as JBlaze says you will notice how you just do it all, without you searching through all Admin interface - where is that path, how about the other (attachments path will have the same faith).
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

totaltutankoll

Quote from: JBlaze on June 14, 2009, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: totaltutankoll on June 14, 2009, 05:05:27 PM

It's better to use repair_settings.php to change paths. Does it all in one go :)

What is repair_settings.php?
I have so bad experiences of anything that says "in an instant set up" if you know what I mean. Don't know if my forum members would accept a total failor on my behalf regarding this ;D

JBlaze

Total failures are totally prevented by making backups before making changes :)

Just put your forum into maintenance mods, thus preventing any user-made changes, make a backup, then do what you gotta do. If you make a mistake, simply restore the backup and try again :)
Jason Clemons

totaltutankoll

A complete other question, which of the source-files handles the little pop-up stating I've got a new pm?

totaltutankoll

Quote from: JBlaze on June 14, 2009, 05:17:02 PM

Just put your forum into maintenance mods, thus preventing any user-made changes, make a backup, then do what you gotta do. If you make a mistake, simply restore the backup and try again :)
Back ups in all their glory are only useful if you know how to use them ;) I do make monthly backups and always make one before upgrading but if something god forbid would happen and create a database issue I still would be in trouble.  :-[

JBlaze

Quote from: totaltutankoll on June 14, 2009, 05:19:09 PM

Back ups in all their glory are only useful if you know how to use them ;) I do make monthly backups and always make one before upgrading but if something god forbid would happen and create a database issue I still would be in trouble.  :-[

I'm sure that as long as you have a good host, and as long as you make the backup, if you ask you host they should be able to restore it for you.

Also, most hosts have tutorials on things like backups and such.
Jason Clemons

Norv

Quote from: totaltutankoll on June 14, 2009, 05:19:09 PM

In the case of issues you're not sure how to handle, you can always come here and ask. *winks*
I'm confident that solutions can always be found, even though some take time.

totaltutankoll

My host is the worlds worst! LOL they have a standard reply that states "we don't give support on installations of various applications".

I'll take a good nights sleep and think a little more about this move - and see what I'll do tomorrow.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Basically when changing domains within a host, the only real question is are you able to use the same database after the move, or do you need to move the database as well.
If you are able to use the same database, then all you have to do is move all files related to the forum, and maintain the same folder structure on the new domain.
After that running the repair_settings.php should help you fix all path and url related settings to reflect the new location. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

totaltutankoll

Quote from: LexArma on June 15, 2009, 03:19:24 AM
Basically when changing domains within a host, the only real question is are you able to use the same database after the move, or do you need to move the database as well.
If you are able to use the same database, then all you have to do is move all files related to the forum, and maintain the same folder structure on the new domain.
After that running the repair_settings.php should help you fix all path and url related settings to reflect the new location. :)
The database remains the same! It's just the forum I'd like to move.

I would never have start to think of moving unless I've realised the fact that if I put my forum directly under the wings of my company website I'll get the attention and marketing value of thousands of Euro without lifting a finger.  :D

So everything stays at the same host it's just where to keep my forum files that will change.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Then that should be fairly easy and risk free, as long as you make sure to move everything over to the new location ;) ( And fix the paths and URL's )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

totaltutankoll

Quote from: LexArma on June 15, 2009, 04:55:35 AM
Then that should be fairly easy and risk free, as long as you make sure to move everything over to the new location ;) ( And fix the paths and URL's )
I'll just ftp-everything to the new site and change the settings and try this repair-script and then probably get hysterical if it doesn't work  :o

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: totaltutankoll on June 15, 2009, 05:44:59 AM
Quote from: LexArma on June 15, 2009, 04:55:35 AM
I'll just ftp-everything to the new site and change the settings and try this repair-script and then probably get hysterical if it doesn't work  :o

Just copy everything over to the new location, and run the repair_settings.php TO fix the settings. It should do everything needed ;) If it doesn't work, come back and tell us what happens. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Norv

Please remember to make a backup of the database, just so you know it's there.

totaltutankoll

Quote from: Norv on June 15, 2009, 05:55:27 AM
Please remember to make a backup of the database, just so you know it's there.
Just did one and will soon be trying out that little thing called "optimize your db-tables" and do another back-up.

I'll try move things tonight. First i need to make a flashy frontpage for my company  ::) sending visitors to either forum or business. Than I need to sort out how to re-direct from the old index to the new one.

By the way, does anyone know how to get the domain to be top of the page all the time when dealing with a forum i.e www.forum.com instead of www.forum.com/smf/index.php

Advertisement: