Mods Installing, but not able to apply them in 2.0 rc 1.2???

Started by BigDaddyDiesel, August 01, 2009, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, I have been trying to start from scratch with a test forum located at www.syntheticmotorsports.org/testforum

I am using 2.0 RC 1.2

I have started form scratch and tried installing the mods I need one at a time always checking for errors, etc.  But, no matter what I do, even though the mods install fine according to the mod list, but when I click "Apply Mod" it goes through the motions, but I still cannot "Turn them on"   

Now, I have spent the last week going through the relevant threads here for not only that version of the SMF, but also the PortaMX section to try to figure out why and what is going on without any luck at all.  When installing PortaMX I get an error in the "/sources/display.php" folder that it tells me to fix by changing the existing code to the code given, but that affects nothing and the error remains upon retest before actual installation. 

All other mods I have tried, ((Aeva, Staff page, atc))  will all install, and when I click "Apply Mod" they show as being applied in the mod package list.  But, nothing is "Enabled" or "turned on"....

Please, any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.  Should I just try to get an older version of the SMF, and if so, where can I get the one I need to make things simpler???

Also, please bear in mind that I am a complete novice with the SMF and need things explained in the simplest of terms possible. 

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

God Bless

Chris

babjusi

From what I could understand is that the mod install fine but they are not enabled, right? If that is the case, then you must enable them at their own settings in the acp. Also, if you are using a custom theme, then some more manual changes must be made to that theme''s templates in order for the mods to work.

P.s. What language do you use as a default, English or English utf-8?

BigDaddyDiesel

Correct, they install fine, but do not enable.  Where exactly do I enable them in the ACP?  I have looked and looked for that option and had no luck at all. 

Also, as for the theme, I am trying to use "GreyIs", but I am having the same problem i the core theme.  I have tried this in four different themes, with four starts from scratch, throwing out the old, and installing new with no changes in the results. 

I think the default language is set to english.  I "Think"...lol

BigDaddyDiesel

babjusi

It depends, every mod has got its own settings added in different places. It would be best that all mod related questions to ask at their apporpriate support topics as there you can receive beter and faster help.

BigDaddyDiesel

Well, that is the thing, NONE of the mods work.  They install, but are not enabled. 

Where in the ACP do I go to enable the mods as mentioned above?

babjusi

Quote from: BigDaddyDiesel on August 01, 2009, 09:31:57 PM
Well, that is the thing, NONE of the mods work.  They install, but are not enabled. 

Where in the ACP do I go to enable the mods as mentioned above?

As I said, every mod has got its own settings added in different places. Have a look at the mod download page, most of them have screenshots with the settings. Read also through the posts there.

BigDaddyDiesel

Thanks, I have done that.  I have spent the past week doing nothing but working with PortaMX and reading through EVERYTHING here referring to it or problems others have had with the installation of it.  I quit messing with any other mods until I can figure this one out. 

I also still have not found anything at all as referred to above to ""Enable"" mods in the Admin CP. 

That is why I was thinking that this was a problem with the newest version of the SMF.  Mainly because no matter what theme I use, or mod.  No matter what, none of the mods work, even though they ALL show being installed. 

After a week of this I am now beginning to think I need to find an older version of the SMF...

Anyone know of a version that works better?

Norv

It seems that PortaMX is compatible with SMF 2.0 RC1, not 2.0 RC1.2 yet, I wonder if it is installed.
Please, try posting as attachment here the file ./index.php (from your forum directory, that is).

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

BigDaddyDiesel

Here you go...  Thanks for the help.  I hope I got the right Index.php file for you.

Norv

PortaMX is not installed, judging by the file you attached. (the modifications of the file, that should be done for PortaMX installation, are not there).
Please can you copy and paste here your list of mods, as it is displayed when going to Admin > Packages?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

BigDaddyDiesel

I could, but it is a fresh install of SMF 2.0 RC 1.2 and the only mod I have tried to install on this latest attempt is the PortaMX.  I started there with this latest attempt because I need the Portal, but on the last attempt to do this, I installed the Staff page mod, and the Aeva Auto In-bed mod, and even though in the Browse packages section AND the Installed Packages section, they both showed having the mods installed...  But in the Miscellaneous section there was nothing there, and I have yet to see any evidence of changes after the installation.  That is why I don't think my problem is with the mods themselves.  I am using the GreyIs theme, and I had them all installed on the very first attempt, but had a LOT of errors as a result, although the largest part of the forum worked there were little issues here and there.  So I started over with a test forum.

But, like stated, in the browse packages and Installed packages sections, they both show PortaMX as installed. 

EDIT: PS: I also went through the PortaMX thread in the mod section for PortaMX and although there were a couple of other "Similar" issues, none were exactly the same, and being close, I tried a couple of them with no results. 

Norv

Please, copy and paste here the Packages list (from browse packages), for us to see eventually what it says (other mods, versions, and so on).

BigDaddyDiesel

Here you go...  This is everything from that section.  AND, it also shows the Green Ball in there with it as well...

Mod Name     Version     
1.    PortaMx v0.956    0.956    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Tyrsson

Try the new version of PortaMX that was just released a day or so ago.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Tyrsson

Quote from: BigDaddyDiesel on August 05, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
Here you go...  This is everything from that section.  AND, it also shows the Green Ball in there with it as well...

Mod Name     Version     
1.    PortaMx v0.956    0.956    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
If you see this in the admincp under the mod list then you should have a a section in the admincp menu dealing with PortaMX. In the main page of the admincp there is a tab in on the top right of the main text area. Click that and it will revert the forum menu back to the 1.1.x style and see if the portamx settings are then visiable.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

BigDaddyDiesel

I have tried that along with many other things and none of them make it work.  I have been all the way through the Portamx thread in the mods section here and tried all of the fixes, with help from a partner who installed it last time and even he can't figure it out even though he installed the exact same mod in the exact same version before, (although with errors and problems with the forum that are not readily apparent) 

SO, I try to start from scratch with SMF 1 and now the dang install path information with my host will not recognise my login information.  Go figure.  this is fast becoming a PITA

Norv

When do you have an error, during installation of SMF, and what version? Please make sure you make all files and folders listed writable, this way it will not need to ask for FTP information.

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, I have installed version 2.0 five times now.  I make sure to make ALL files writable right from the start.  I have made the code corrections referred to in the Portamx thread in the mods section.  I tried several mods and although they would all install according to the package manager, and in the installed packages section of the ACP.  However, under miscellaneous section of the packages manager I get nothing but the warning that nothing has caused any changes there.  I have tried adding temp files where they were missing and everything else that was to be a fix in the portamx thread.  I have tried everything that everyone has offered as advice with no results.  According to above, the index.php file does not show it as being installed. 

SO, I downloaded SMF 1.0 thinking maybe that it will work better and now, even though I deleted everything else in that database to make sure that everything uploaded and installed correctly and now, even though I use the exact same login, database, ftp and all other information as I have used to install 2.0, the isntall does not happen because of login failures?  GThis is really beginning to aggravate me to no end, and I cannot get a straight answer from my host or anyone else as to why this may be happening. 

I AM new to this I know, but why would the things that worked before not work now????

BigDaddyDiesel

What I mean is that the login information for the serv er that I used to install 2.0 is now not working with 1.0.  Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Advertisement: