Simple Machines Smiley Contest

Started by Fustrate, August 13, 2009, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

@sologhost> Thanks :)

@Trekkie> Thanks, too! But I'm really no graphic artist... I consider myself more as a con artist (I modify existing work to fit my needs, sometimes I put a lot of thought & work into it but it's still not 100% original work, otherwise I'd probably have submitted my entry to the contest just for fun).
I was just bored one day and decided to mess around with Paint Shop Pro's Animation Shop 3. It was fun for the couple of days it lasted, but editing smileys pixel by pixel, frame after frame, can be a bit boring, too. So I didn't even finish the smiley set -- I made about 35 smileys and left the remaining ~30 in their original (larger) state. Fortunately they're less used than the main set ;)

Oh well, enough of me -- I can't wait to see what the community will come up with!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Yigal

Nice!!  You need some special skill to make smileys...is there like...some program for it.
Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

青山 素子

Quote from: Yigal on August 19, 2009, 08:57:55 PM
Nice!!  You need some special skill to make smileys...is there like...some program for it.

For static smileys, any image edit program will work. GIMP works well on all major platforms, Paint.NET is decent on Windows. There are also plenty of other legal no-cost tools. GIMP also supports creating animated GIF images.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

AlexIsaacs

You can make them in Paint if you're decently versed in pixel art. Most modern smilies aren't pixel art, however.

I use Photoshop CS4 for mine. And obviously, all programs are free if you know where to look.  ;D

青山 素子

Quote from: Spektral on August 20, 2009, 02:36:38 AM
And obviously, all programs are free if you know where to look.  ;D

Let's keep the discussion legal, k?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

AlexIsaacs

Quote from: Motoko-chan on August 20, 2009, 02:45:04 AM
Quote from: Spektral on August 20, 2009, 02:36:38 AM
And obviously, all programs are free if you know where to look.  ;D

Let's keep the discussion legal, k?
Just sayin'

Trekkie101

Smileys Required

angel angry cheesy cool cry embarrassed
grin huh kiss lipsrsealed rolleyes sad
shocked smiley tongue undecided wink blank

Not Required, But Preferred

afro police azn laugh evil

Trekkie101

Thanks to Fustrate :)

Updated original post too :)

SoLoGHoST

For animated GIFS I use Ulead Gif Animator.  For everything else (that is not 3D), I use Photoshop.

Cool, thanks for the list there Trekkie101.  But already did the laugh and azn one's, figured they were among the standard.  Oh well.

Cheers!

AlexIsaacs

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on August 20, 2009, 08:50:50 AM
For animated GIFS I use Ulead Gif Animator.  For everything else (that is not 3D), I use Photoshop.

Cool, thanks for the list there Trekkie101.  But already did the laugh and azn one's, figured they were among the standard.  Oh well.

Cheers!
Wut, just use PhotoShop for animation, or ImageReady if you have an old version. But everything post Photoshop 7 comes with an integrated animator. PS CS3/4 even comes with Flash integration. An example is my avatar, which was made with Photoshop CS4.

SoLoGHoST

Thanks, but I like Ulead Gif Animator better for animated gifs.

AlexIsaacs

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on August 20, 2009, 01:55:30 PM
Thanks, but I like Ulead Gif Animator better for animated gifs.
Meh, it just saves hassle. I'd rather create the frames from layers and have my animation done in 1 minute than use another program. =P

Yigal

What about the smiley in your avatar?  Did you make that?
Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support

anunlike

It sounds like only the winning entry will become sole property of SMF? So what happens with the other entries? Are they just given back; will the creator(s) be asked to add their entry to the SMF modification smiley site; are they, considering that property rights are tacitly given to SMF, added to the SMF modification smiley site automatically or ...?

AlexIsaacs

Yigal

Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

SoLoGHoST

Spektral - I suppose it's because I've been using Gif Animator for so long now and know it better than Adobe's Equivalent.  Well to each their own I always say.  Perhaps it's time for a change though...

AlexIsaacs

Yigal

Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

SoLoGHoST

What I don't like about making small graphics is that it is very difficult to decide which 1 you like best.  Just add a dot and everything changes...lol.

Advertisement: