Paid vs free mods

Started by Arantor, August 28, 2009, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

rd

More like trying to stir something and not knowing SMF modifications well... Some SMF mods available for free are WAY better (more powerful) than those paid mods offered by a few people.

Jessica.

Quote from: Royalduke on June 23, 2011, 07:03:35 AM
More like trying to stir something and not knowing SMF modifications well... Some SMF mods available for free are WAY better (more powerful) than those paid mods offered by a few people.

agreed

and there are a lot of mods with pro-versions that I really want but will never get because of personal reasons
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Jessica. on June 23, 2011, 11:12:48 AMand there are a lot of mods with pro-versions that I really want but will never get because of personal reasons

And there are a lot of abandoned free mods that I'd pay for someone to pick up and make-compatible with 2.0-final, or write a new one with the same functionality that works with 2.0-final and will be maintained. But lack of mod authors and interest in the few remaining authors prevents that. There are only a handful left and only so many free hours amongst them. Not quite ready to move to 2.0 as a result.

I'd also pay a few bucks to remove all the "copyright" advertising they plaster over every page if that was an option, but also not the case.

vbgamer45

What mods? I offer copyright removal for all my mods an option?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

live627

Well some do and some don't IIRC.

Jessica.

Quote from: sremick on June 24, 2011, 01:10:21 PM
Quote from: Jessica. on June 23, 2011, 11:12:48 AMand there are a lot of mods with pro-versions that I really want but will never get because of personal reasons

And there are a lot of abandoned free mods that I'd pay for someone to pick up and make-compatible with 2.0-final, or write a new one with the same functionality that works with 2.0-final and will be maintained. But lack of mod authors and interest in the few remaining authors prevents that. There are only a handful left and only so many free hours amongst them. Not quite ready to move to 2.0 as a result.

I'd also pay a few bucks to remove all the "copyright" advertising they plaster over every page if that was an option, but also not the case.

that's because you can pay for it! I can't because of my stupid parents
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

Kindred

I would still prefer if ALL mods used the credits page instead of adding copyright lines...   in theory, on one page, I could have as many as 5 copyrights.

My site copyright
SMF copyright
Portal Copyright
Ads copyright
aeva embed copyright or special page copyright

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

That will never happen without hooks and even then only if the execution is done right/the mod author decides to do it.

ARG01

Quote from: sompo on June 23, 2011, 12:51:56 AM
PAID MODS IS BETTER THEN FREE MODS.....THERE ARE A LOT OF ADVANTAGES USING PAID MODS.

The only advantage to paid mods is that when you pay, you expect support and updates. There are some mod creators that either fail to offer support or fail to update, or both.
If I download a free mod, although support and updates are desired, I don't expect them. If I pay, I expect both, at least for a certain amount of time.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Suki

I been thinking about adding a copyright on the credits page, however, as it is right now it will need a modification to Who.php  and it will break the no edits, only hooks  thingy I set up for the mods I made.

I believe a hook for this is on the plans.

Quote from: ARG on June 24, 2011, 03:51:31 PM
Quote from: sompo on June 23, 2011, 12:51:56 AM
PAID MODS IS BETTER THEN FREE MODS.....THERE ARE A LOT OF ADVANTAGES USING PAID MODS.

The only advantage to paid mods is that when you pay, you expect support and updates. There are some mod creators that either fail to offer support or fail to update, or both.
If I download a free mod, although support and updates are desired, I don't expect them. If I pay, I expect both, at least for a certain amount of time.

;)

I wouldn't say fail on support/updates...   

Most, if not all the people who writes mods/themes do so because they like to do it,  unfortunately this doesn't include to give support for it, that is my case, I love making mods, I don't love the "you need to give support for it because its your mod"  thing, I know there are people who ask you nicely or just wait patiently for you, but there's also people who pretty much demand things from you,  I say its a 2/10  in proportion.

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

vbgamer45

General it starts out like Student/Hobbyist making a mod they enjoy making them or need it for a purpose.
Then paid comes when student gets older or if mod gets too complex. Benefit with paid mods is they will stick around since it benefits them and continue to update it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: