News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PW Decryption

Started by DarkLite, October 05, 2009, 02:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkLite

I need to extract the original pass from one of the database hashes (long and tiresome story). Is this possible using the encryption code that was originally used? Or else is it completely impossible and am I wasting my time on it?

Something like that

Well, if you have a few thousand machines and 100,000 years you might get it back -- unless you used a simple password, which some cracking tools may be able to find in a matter of hours/days/weeks.

DarkLite

Quote from: Mark Rose on October 05, 2009, 02:18:07 PM
Well, if you have a few thousand machines and 100,000 years you might get it back -- unless you used a simple password, which some cracking tools may be able to find in a matter of hours/days/weeks.

It's not for me, it's a friend who managed to lock themselves out of their email without a security question. Now they expect me to get their pass for them -_-

Thanks for the feedback though. Pity it's not possible, 'specially if you have the code used to encrypt it. But hey, worth a try :)

Something like that

Quote from: DarkLite on October 05, 2009, 02:23:31 PM
It's not for me, it's a friend who managed to lock themselves out of their email without a security question. Now they expect me to get their pass for them -_-

As an admin, go to their profile, then to account settings, and you can reset their password.

Thanks for the feedback though. Pity it's not possible, 'specially if you have the code used to encrypt it. But hey, worth a try :)

It uses a one way hash. Why? If it didn't, and someone got a copy of the database, they would have everyone's passwords. And a lot of people use the same password in many places, making the situation nasty. So passwords are encrypted.

Advertisement: