News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Curve" badly

Started by zetatalk, October 06, 2009, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: zetatalk on October 06, 2009, 08:17:51 PM
No. I did not speak about Charter Members. I had in view of Core and Lead Developers. And also web masters. That is all who has a full access full or nearly so to resources smf.org

Yes but curve is available for all charter members. Basically they have the access to the Curve before it is publicly released.

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: Antechinus on October 06, 2009, 08:10:39 PM
Stikkki, curve does not use any vendor-specific css like the moz/webkit radius classes. It only uses valid css to W3 standards. All rounded corners are done with one image.

i was just saying that corners arent supported in all browsers so in logic that means it wont be used on smf as it wont work for all browsers

zetatalk

SunKing, So let's spend interrogation! What exactly does not suffice in style "Curve" what to add and what to change? Let the community will accept modest participation in style updating. And it will not occupy more than several days.

Flamer, But also developers too have an access not only to style "Curve" but also to other resources smf.org which do not extend even for Charter Members.

bullbreedluverz

think the simple answer is, tell the Charter Member who owns the theme to edit it if they dont like it

[unplugged]

Discussing changes that could possible make the theme look nicer is certainly healthy. However, it is not a bug. That was all I was saying.

In fact, I agree with some of your "preferences" for the theme. The icons need to be fully updated, but I don't think it was ignored. I think it was decided that the icons weren't a priority at the time of release. I think the quotes would look nice with curved corners, but not if it puts an unneeded load on the site through the use of images. I would prefer that the buttons (such as Submit or Post) were not also rounded.

It's all personal preference. Feel free to customize your version of the theme. I know I am when it's released to the public.

« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

karlbenson

On behalf of the developers, thankyou for the feedback.

Indeed SMF only uses css which validates with W3C checkers. No hacks (well nearly none :P), no browser-specific classes (-moz-radius etc.).

Whilst it was decided to do a curve theme, not everything will be curved.  Buttons etc are a bit overkill to be curved.

Antechinus

We looked at doing the quotes with rounded corners and to be honest it didn't add anything to the theme. Personally I like the way they look now. I think it works rather well. However if anyone does want rounded corners on their quotes they can certainly have them. It wouldn't be that difficult to do, but I doubt it will become a default thing.

king kratos

The only thing I saw that was somewhat odd looking was the quote. I think that because it is open ended (left and right), it looks odd.

Other than that, I really like the theme.

Kratos

Sverre

Quote from: karlbenson on October 09, 2009, 02:18:42 PMWhilst it was decided to do a curve theme, not everything will be curved.  Buttons etc are a bit overkill to be curved.

While I wholeheartedly agree that everything shouldn't be curved - it's already a bit too much for my taste - I'm definitely not a fan of the current styling of submit buttons, check boxes, etc., so I'll probably end up removing it in favour of the browser's default rendering of these elements, which might even be a slight advantage as far as usability goes.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: king kratos on October 09, 2009, 05:18:27 PM
The only thing I saw that was somewhat odd looking was the quote. I think that because it is open ended (left and right), it looks odd.
Agreed. That quote looks very out-of-place, being the wrong way. A visual "huh?" speed-bump (read-bump?) that causes you to pause, like a spelling or grammatical error.

Like a spelling/grammar error it should be fixed, since it makes no logical sense as-is while the fix does, and fixing it doesn't hurt anyone and should be trivial. ;)

But all-in-all, "Curve" is a huge leap forward and I'm foaming at the bit for SMF2.

Arantor

So, what would you do with it?

The idea of not having sides to it is to make it seem visually less disjointed from the older style (where it was an explicit box)

king kratos

Quote from: Arantor on October 15, 2009, 05:53:30 PM
So, what would you do with it?

The idea of not having sides to it is to make it seem visually less disjointed from the older style (where it was an explicit box)

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what I would do with it. I would probably leave it as-is because it does look better than the full box. I think it just looks a little odd, but nothing wrong with that.

I really like the rest of the style. It's a huge improvement from the 100% 90 degree corners in the older versions.

Kratos

青山 素子

It would probably be better to either move the mark to the right, or use the left double-quote image.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Windy

I'd ditch the borders altogether and perhaps even the background color, then give it a bit more padding on the left and perhaps on the top and bottom, then if it were possible i'd  suggest using the left double quote image in the top left and the right double quote image in the bottom right.  You could always use a slightly darker background color to the post so it's a little easier to notice.
All unsolicited PM's will be ignored.  Any support requests should go in their topics.

My Mods

Image Zoom Tag
Image Quote Removal
Color Picker
Additional Polls
Simple Awards System

Mods are only updated to the latest same major version of smf on request.

Antechinus

Try it. Get a screenshot and a graphics app and see how it looks.

Windy

Quote from: Antechinus on October 16, 2009, 12:52:01 AM
Well, this is what I came up with.
All unsolicited PM's will be ignored.  Any support requests should go in their topics.

My Mods

Image Zoom Tag
Image Quote Removal
Color Picker
Additional Polls
Simple Awards System

Mods are only updated to the latest same major version of smf on request.

SoLoGHoST

Maybe it's just me, but it you are considering on changing it, why not just do a simple 1 like this (or if you want you can give it some color to it)

Antechinus

Quote from: Windy on October 16, 2009, 01:43:19 AM
Quote from: Antechinus on October 16, 2009, 12:52:01 AM
Well, this is what I came up with.

Not bad, but I think some sort of border would be better, although I'm not a fan of the current black. Also the double quotes look good but require more markup because you can't use two separate background images in the same div.

I'm playing with some ideas myself. Not sure how much progress I'm making. :)

kai920

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 16, 2009, 03:01:21 AM
Maybe it's just me, but it you are considering on changing it, why not just do a simple 1 like this (or if you want you can give it some color to it)

This looks pretty good with 1 quote, but how would it look if you have nested levels of quotes?

SoLoGHoST

Ok, I actually like the way it looks when double quoted.  So I changed it a bit to look like this:

Advertisement: