News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Multiple Forum Mod

Started by Avail, November 24, 2009, 09:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

You'd do it on a per-board level (since you can configure themes for individual boards out of the box)

Hoodie

Quote from: Arantor on November 28, 2009, 08:14:24 PM
You'd do it on a per-board level (since you can configure themes for individual boards out of the box)

I understand that but when you go to the main sub-forum it wouldn't be the separate theme, it would be the main thing..  If we want it to look like an entirely separate entity, it would be a different theme on the landing page of that sub-forum..

Arantor

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that.

* Arantor thinks this is a feature for the next version.

Hoodie

Awesome..  Looking forward to the next release but seeing as the themes that I want to use aren't released for RC2 yet, I'll use it now..

Hoodie

And the only other thing that isn't separated and would probably be harder to do is the statistics center..  It shows main board statistics in the sub-forums statistics even if the board is not in that sub-forum..

Kreator

Quote from: Automotive Nation on November 28, 2009, 08:49:02 PM
And the only other thing that isn't separated and would probably be harder to do is the statistics center..  It shows main board statistics in the sub-forums statistics even if the board is not in that sub-forum..

and vice versa .... have any of you other guys had to put the SSI.php in the subforum to get it to work??

Arantor

Kreator: No, because the rest of us don't use a portal that comes with an SSI dependency.

Kreator

ah, so I`m not doing anything wrong with inserting the SSI in there then?

Arantor

No, though it's something we strongly discourage for performance.

kingkingston

Ok found a problem,if i am on a different forum and i see a topic i want to look at and it shows up in the info center,i found if i click on the link i get this reply

"The board you specified is located on a different forum",shouldn't the links in the info box work just as normal ?

Kreator

kingkingston: Yup I get that as well, may be a bit confusing to members!!

Hoodie

I think that's from the Recent Posts..  Not sure exactly why it's doing that..  My solution till it gets fixed:  Disable recent posts on boardindex inside the current theme settings..

Avail

Quote from: Automotive Nation on November 28, 2009, 08:33:27 PM

I understand that but when you go to the main sub-forum it wouldn't be the separate theme, it would be the main thing..  If we want it to look like an entirely separate entity, it would be a different theme on the landing page of that sub-forum..

I like that idea. I don't think it would be very hard at all to implement that in a later version. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Oh, that doesn't sound very friendly. :( I kept tossing the idea back and forth whether to show the stats for the entire forum, or make them specific to the boards the user can see. I leaned toward the latter, so you really shouldn't be able to see any topics that aren't on that board. If you can, could you give me a little more information on where this is occurring? And about the statistics center, that was basically the only part of the site I purposely left 'global'. Does anyone think statistics should be specific to the boards viewable (ie, the specific subforum)?

Maybe I should just implement everything and add more settings for the mod. I'm not sure yet. :P

Quote from: kingkingston on November 29, 2009, 04:13:06 PM
Ok found a problem,if i am on a different forum and i see a topic i want to look at and it shows up in the info center,i found if i click on the link i get this reply

"The board you specified is located on a different forum",shouldn't the links in the info box work just as normal ?

The real error is what Automotive Nation said below, but that should be fixed soon. I'm planning on modifying that error message to include a link to the board the topic/board requested should be on.

Quote from: Automotive Nation on November 29, 2009, 08:33:55 PM
I think that's from the Recent Posts..  Not sure exactly why it's doing that..  My solution till it gets fixed:  Disable recent posts on boardindex inside the current theme settings..

Recent posts shouldn't be showing up from other boards. I'll look into that later. Thanks for letting me know.

kingkingston

I think all recent posts should show up on the main board and be clickable so you can go to that board from the recent post area,also only recent posts from sub boards should appear in those sub boards.

Hoodie

Quote from: Avail on November 30, 2009, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: Automotive Nation on November 28, 2009, 08:33:27 PM

I like that idea. I don't think it would be very hard at all to implement that in a later version. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

No problem..  Just thinking of ways to make it better..

Oh, that doesn't sound very friendly. :( I kept tossing the idea back and forth whether to show the stats for the entire forum, or make them specific to the boards the user can see. I leaned toward the latter, so you really shouldn't be able to see any topics that aren't on that board. If you can, could you give me a little more information on where this is occurring? And about the statistics center, that was basically the only part of the site I purposely left 'global'. Does anyone think statistics should be specific to the boards viewable (ie, the specific subforum)?

Maybe I should just implement everything and add more settings for the mod. I'm not sure yet. :P

Wasn't trying to be unfriendly..  I was thinking it would be harder to separate those but you've already looked into it..  Statistics are fine being global..  I guess I didn't explain it very well..  I was talking about the recent posts area but you've covered why that is later and I've commented again on those as well..  Also, if you click more stats, the Top 10 Boards, Top 10 Topics (By Replies), and Top 10 Topics (By Views) are all shared among the sub-forums..  I think this is also tied into the recent posts part..

Also, giving the option to set it as global or sub-forum only stats isn't a bad idea but like I said, nobody's gonna count individual board posts to see if it all adds up right..

Quote from: kingkingston on November 29, 2009, 04:13:06 PM

The real error is what Automotive Nation said below, but that should be fixed soon. I'm planning on modifying that error message to include a link to the board the topic/board requested should be on.

Quote from: Automotive Nation on November 29, 2009, 08:33:55 PM

Recent posts shouldn't be showing up from other boards. I'll look into that later. Thanks for letting me know.

Not exactly sure why they would be either..  I set my recent posts on boardindex to 10 and posted a few test messages in the two boards that I had (few in main forum and few in sub-forum)..  Posts from both boards were showing up in main forum and sub-forum identically..

Just to clarify, the user has access to both forum and sub-forum..  I just want the sub-forum to only have recent posts from that sub-forum..

Quote from: kingkingston on November 30, 2009, 11:09:12 PM
I think all recent posts should show up on the main board and be clickable so you can go to that board from the recent post area,also only recent posts from sub boards should appear in those sub boards.

That's exactly how I think the recent posts should be displayed as well..  Hopefully it won't be too hard to implement it that way..

Avail

Quote from: Automotive Nation on December 01, 2009, 03:37:00 PM

Wasn't trying to be unfriendly..  I was thinking it would be harder to separate those but you've already looked into it..  Statistics are fine being global..  I guess I didn't explain it very well..  I was talking about the recent posts area but you've covered why that is later and I've commented again on those as well..  Also, if you click more stats, the Top 10 Boards, Top 10 Topics (By Replies), and Top 10 Topics (By Views) are all shared among the sub-forums..  I think this is also tied into the recent posts part..

Also, giving the option to set it as global or sub-forum only stats isn't a bad idea but like I said, nobody's gonna count individual board posts to see if it all adds up right..

Aha, I was referring to the problem as being unfriendly. ;)

So just to clarify, having global statistics should remain, but inside those statistics the top ten boards and posts should be accessible from any of the forums. Furthermore, the recent posts should only show recent posts from the subforum you are on, and links to other boards and topics within the forums should be redirected to the specific forum those boards/topics are on.

Basically, I'd replace the 'The post or board you specified is on a different (sub)forum' error to being a redirect to the correct forum. Would this be an inconvenience for the user?

Hoodie

For me personally, I'd rather not see the posts from any other sub-forums in any of those spots..  If that's possible..

If that's not possible, then yes, I would rather have a redirect to the actual board/topic instead of an error message..

Board/Topic/Reply count should be shared but boards/topics/replies themselves should be separated if possible basically..

SilverKnight

Why can't this be for 1.1.11 grrrrrrrrr

Arantor

SilverKnight: Because it would be a complete rewrite of the mod from the ground up, and not every author wants to support both versions, especially since 1.1.x is not receiving any updates other than security fixes (only).

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Any live site using this mod? I want to see and evaluate before testing it.

Advertisement: