News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Bad Behavior for SMF mod

Started by butchs, April 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

New version.  Changes

The following changes have been made:

• Google AdSense has changed their crawler's User-Agent string to a string that matches a user agent blacklist entry. This would prevent the delivery of targeted ads to a page, and result in generic ads being displayed. The blacklist entry was temporarily removed pending communication with Google.
  • A PHP warning would be generated if any whitelist had blank lines in it. Blank lines are now stripped out of whitelist entries.
  • Added IP address sort in log for SMF 2.x
  • If a member gets flagged their username will be displayed in the log for SMF 2.x

:)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

huan

i installed these together with forum firewall may i know what the recommend setting ?
oh the entry log denied and permitted ,does it mean denied =user was blocked ,permitted=was allowed

butchs

Yes, denied =user was blocked , permitted=was allowed "suspicious".  All data enclosed in Bad Behavior BBC "suspicious" tags will not be visible to the visitor in the permitted list.

MOD INSTALLATION HELP

Adjust all settings before you enable the mod.

Check all the options that are "Recommended" in "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS".

Register your site at ProjectHoneyPot.
Get the access key at ProjectHoneyPot.
Add an OPTIONAL honey pot script for your site.
Copy the OPTIONAL honey pot script to your site (the same location as the SMF folder).
Activate the OPTIONAL honey pot script and confirm it is active.

Copy over the HoneyPot information in the "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Project Honey Pot HTTP Blacklist" area:

• http:BL Access Key - Access Keys are 12-alpha characters (no numbers). They are lower-case. You should copy the Access Key exactly as it appears at the Project Honey Pot network.
  • Minimum Threat Level - 25
  • Maximum Age of Data - 30
  • Honeypot Link - The link to the OPTIONAL honey pot Script Location or a QuickLink.
  • Honeypot Link word - A word you make up.

If you use CloudFlare:  Enter "Cf-Connecting-Ip" in "IP call to Reverse Proxy" and check "Enable Reverse Proxy".

Whitelist all your regular members.  Read "WHITELIST MEMBERS HELP" for details.

OPTIONAL:  Enter your personal admin IP address or CIDR range "Bad Behavior Admin/ SETTINGS/ Whitelist/ IP Address".  For more iinformation read "WHITELIST HELP".

Then "Enable Bad Behavior".

Click the help icons in the mod and information at the core bad-behavior site for additional help.

For some advanced tutorials see:
O:)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

butchs

Quote from: Lazybones on October 21, 2012, 07:27:56 PM
...Also unless I am missing something I didn't see that documented on the MOD page. I generally expect all mod settings to be with a mods menu unless the mod explicitly states it modifies something else in its description....

Requested information added to the first post of this thread.

stylusss

Could you tell me how to remove the entries? They are really piling up in a single day. :-\
For top-notch server quality and expertise, visit CoreISP.net

stylusss

Can someone also help me correct this error:

Database Error: Incorrect table name ''
File: /home/biologyf/public_html/Sources/bad-behavior/BadBehavior-SMF.php
Line: 74

I'm using 1.x

butchs

Quote from: stylusss on November 28, 2012, 08:55:03 AM
Could you tell me how to remove the entries? They are really piling up in a single day. :-\

I stopped upgrading SMF 1.x since the announcement.  Though it works fine on the test servers.

Upgrade to SMF 2.0.x go to "ALL ENTRIES LOG" and click on "REMOVE ALL".  Or with SMF 1.x manually edit PhpMyAdmin.

butchs

Quote from: stylusss on November 28, 2012, 07:48:36 PM

I'm using 1.x

Sounds like you need to run repair settings.  See SMF 1.x support area for how to use it...

stylusss

Quote from: butchs on November 28, 2012, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: stylusss on November 28, 2012, 08:55:03 AM

I stopped upgrading SMF 1.x since the announcement.  Though it works fine on the test servers.

Upgrade to SMF 2.0.x go to "ALL ENTRIES LOG" and click on "REMOVE ALL".  Or with SMF 1.x manually edit PhpMyAdmin.

That option is also found in SMF 1.x, thank you!

Quote from: butchs on November 28, 2012, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: stylusss on November 28, 2012, 07:48:36 PM

I'm using 1.x

Sounds like you need to run repair settings.  See SMF 1.x support area for how to use it...

Repair settings eh. That's pretty weird, never had to do that before, server has remained the same. Is there any other way of rewriting that part of the code?

butchs

Quote from: stylusss on November 29, 2012, 06:54:47 PM
That option is also found in SMF 1.x, thank you!

Oh, I forgot!    :o

Quote from: stylusss on November 29, 2012, 06:54:47 PM
Repair settings eh. That's pretty weird, never had to do that before, server has remained the same. Is there any other way of rewriting that part of the code?

The SMF 1.1.x version has had no code changes to that part of the code in years.  Many other 1.1.x users have no problems.  The only issue I can think of is an error in your settings.php file.

There is no shame in running repair settings.  I have done it at least five times over the years.

Some times after an upgrade it does not help.  Then I look at the installer settings.php file and manually edit mine to include all the lines of code.
8)

EDIT:  Looking at the code, another possibility is that data may be incorrect is the phpMyAdmin "db_prefix"settings.  The variable "badbehavior_log_table" should have a value in the format of your current "db_prefix" followed by "log_badbehavior".  If it is not, then calls like on line 14 of Banned.inc.php will produce your error.

This variable is set during the fist installation of the mod.  Once installed it is never changed.  So if it did not read the settings.php correctly during initial install or you changed your db prefix at one time or another it will produce the error.

One option will be to manually delete just the "badbehavior_log_table" variable then uninstall, followed by a reinstall of the mod in the hope the mod does the work for you.

:(

stylusss

Thanks for the detailed response. I installed the mod manually by parsing the code, though most of it was done for me already, that is, very few edits to main core files. The mod still works perfectly, but it produces many errors in the error log when it is enabled, so I have temporarily disabled my error logs so that it continues to fight the spam battle. Will let you know what transpires.

butchs

The easy fix will be to edit "badbehavior_log_table" in phpMyAdmin as described above.

If you prefer to edit code, assuming Settings.php is correct, you can always try the following...

Search for in "BadBehavior-SMF.php":
global $badbehavior_settings, $modSettings;

$badbehavior_settings['enable_badbehavior'] = $modSettings['enable_badbehavior'];
$badbehavior_settings['log_table'] = $modSettings['badbehavior_log_table'];

Replace with:
global $badbehavior_settings, $modSettings, $db_prefix;

$badbehavior_settings['enable_badbehavior'] = $modSettings['enable_badbehavior'];
$badbehavior_settings['log_table'] = $db_prefix . 'log_badbehavior';

Then the DB modsetting should be ignored.  Humm...  Maybe I will delete it in future versions.  8)

stylusss

Quote from: butchs on November 30, 2012, 07:14:37 AM
The easy fix will be to edit "badbehavior_log_table" in phpMyAdmin as described above.

If you prefer to edit code, assuming Settings.php is correct, you can always try the following...

Search for in "BadBehavior-SMF.php":
global $badbehavior_settings, $modSettings;

$badbehavior_settings['log_table'] = $modSettings['badbehavior_log_table'];

Replace with:
global $badbehavior_settings, $modSettings, $db_prefix;

$badbehavior_settings['log_table'] = $db_prefix . 'log_badbehavior';

Then the DB modsetting should be ignored.  Humm...  Maybe I will delete it in future versions.  8)

Thank you, I have changed to the code to your suggestion. If update you if things go wrong!

butchs

Please let me know if they go right too so I can add it to a future update.

stylusss

Quote from: butchs on November 30, 2012, 06:15:37 PM
Please let me know if they go right too so I can add it to a future update.

No more lousy errors coming from bad-behaviour thanks :)

butchs

New version.

BB for SMF changes

• Six hours of improvements.

BB core changes:

• Search engine screening by IP address is now more lenient; a failure to match a known IP address range no longer blocks the bot outright. This change is in response to a major search engine which is adding large numbers of IP address ranges faster than they can be tracked and added to Bad Behavior. Requests which don't match a known IP address range still go through normal screening, while requests which match will be passed immediately.
  • Search engine IP address screening is bypassed when the request originates from an IPv6 address, pending the addition of IPv6 subnet matching code.
  • Requests from the Baidu search engine now go through screening similar to Google and other major search engines. This will help to prevent illegitimate access from clients which falsely claim to be the Baidu search engine.
  • Some URL blacklist strings have been removed due to the possibility of their matching legitimate user input (e.g. in a site search phrase).

stylusss

How do we go about installing these new changes? I parse all my mods, rather than go through the auto parser. Could you let us know what to edit new?

butchs

I know you have a custom THEME.  So with a custom theme edit for version 1.1.13, all you need to do is replace the following files:

• Sources - Copy over the whole folder from he mods root director.
  • BadBehavior-Admin.php  -  The version in  the mods root directory is for version 2x, the version in the mod's "Sources" directory is for SMF 1.1.x.  Copy the correct version to   "Sources/"
  • BadBehavior-SMF.php  -  The version in  the mods root directory is for version 2x, the version in the mod's "Sources/bad-behavior/" directory is for SMF 1.1.x.  Copy the correct version to   "Sources/bad-behavior/"
  • BadBehavior.english.php or spaninsh and etc "as required" - Install in "Themes/your_theme/languages/"

I hope I got it all..

stylusss

Just to understand this better, no changes were made to the template or SMF core source files right? If that's the case, I will simply overwrite all the mod files with the new ones in the package.

butchs

Yes.  Just make sure you pick the correct ones for your version of SMF.  Look at package manager for what goes where.

Advertisement: