RHTAMI - Remove Hot Topic And Message Icons (Fully Hook!)

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, August 20, 2010, 04:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Link to Mod(s)

RHTAMI - Remove Hot Topic And Message Icons

- For SMF 1.1.x and SMF 2.0.x
- Fully hook, no file modification For SMF 2.0.x.

1. Please do your own backup though every installation is backed up automatically.
2. This mod remove hot topic and message icons at four places in your forum.
3. They are in messsage index, display, recent and post templates.
4. All you need to do is turn it on or off in Mod Settings page, save it and you are good to go.
5. You can test it in all SMF 2.0.x lower version as IMO it should work just fine. ;)
6. Avoid using this mod with ROHTI - Re-Organize Hot Topic Icon mod.
7. Do report if there is any error(s).

Thank you for using/testing it.

Yours friendly,
Abu Fahim Ismail.

BSD License. Feel free to modify accordingly but keep author's link if it is in there somewhere. ;)

#Change Logs

@Version 1.1.4
- Clean some left overs.
- Remove support for 2.0 RC.

@Version 1.1.3
- User can now choose whether to remove hot topic icons or message icons or both.

@Version 1.1.2
- Remove Hot Topic And Message Icons mod is now upgraded to a fully hook mod with no file modification.

@Version 1.1.1
- Remove check setting in mod setting page.
- Combine mods to be Remove Hot Topic And Message Icons mod (another package).

@Version 1.1.0
- Add check setting in mod setting page.

@Version 1.0.1
- Remove Message Icons mod is added.

@Version 1.0.0
- Remove Hot Topic Icons mod Initial Release.

distante

hello!, is there any images or captures of this mod?

sharks

Yeah, it would be great to see how the message index of the forum looks like after installing this mod. And please add screen-shots of any other section of the forum that this mod modifies.

On another note, i have to say that this mod is an excellent idea. I had suggested something similar not so long ago, where the column of the "hot topics" would be disabled based on selectable boards, as well as the "message icon" column. That way, we can have more useful space (width) on the screen for boards with many long topic titles. Do you think you could implement this in your next release? It would definitely be a significant improvement. ;)

Quote from: distante on September 06, 2010, 09:46:03 AM
hello!, is there any images or captures of this mod?

I have uploaded the images in the OP both in the mod page and here too.
Quote from: sharks on September 06, 2010, 10:53:04 AM
Yeah, it would be great to see how the message index of the forum looks like after installing this mod. And please add screen-shots of any other section of the forum that this mod modifies.

On another note, i have to say that this mod is an excellent idea. I had suggested something similar not so long ago, where the column of the "hot topics" would be disabled based on selectable boards, as well as the "message icon" column. That way, we can have more useful space (width) on the screen for boards with many long topic titles. Do you think you could implement this in your next release? It would definitely be a significant improvement. ;)

As stated above.

Thanks. Sure, I will add that removal of message icon in the another release so it will have two options later on.

sharks

Quote from: ahrasis on September 11, 2010, 08:03:13 AM
Thanks. Sure, I will add that removal of message icon in the another release so it will have two options later on.
Thanks a lot, ahrasis. That would be awesome! I can't wait for the next release.

BTW, your screenshots should also show the message index before applying this mod. Just my 2 cts. ;)

And this link: http://smfing.sup.my/ from your topic is not working??

EDIT: I just installed this mod on my SMF 1.1.11. It installed successfully but i see no changes. Do i have to set permissions for each board or membergroup?

EDIT #2: OK, i found it. It's in the the Features and Options page.

sharks

Bug!

When viewing the message index, i am getting this at the bottom of my message index page:
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 79 queries.   

I used to have below 20 queries at all times. Could you please check and see if you can optimize the number of queries used??

Quote from: sharks on September 11, 2010, 09:57:17 AM
Thanks a lot, ahrasis. That would be awesome! I can't wait for the next release.

BTW, your screenshots should also show the message index before applying this mod. Just my 2 cts. ;)

And this link: http://smfing.sup.my/ from your topic is not working??

EDIT: I just installed this mod on my SMF 1.1.11. It installed successfully but i see no changes. Do i have to set permissions for each board or membergroup?

EDIT #2: OK, i found it. It's in the the Features and Options page.

No problem. Will add the images before and after later.

About sup.my. I am still facing problem and trying to resolve it with my hosting.

Thanks. I'll update the OP for mod and here later for that too. And I will redirect user to Feature and Option page in next release.

Quote from: sharks on September 11, 2010, 10:43:20 AM
Bug!

When viewing the message index, i am getting this at the bottom of my message index page:

I used to have below 20 queries at all times. Could you please check and see if you can optimize the number of queries used??

I am not sure about that. We don't actually create any new database for this mod. Let me test it further and see about it.

distante

Quote from: sharks on September 11, 2010, 10:43:20 AM

Don't suppose to be all the way around?  No hot topic, no queries to count topic's post?

It removes the icon but I am not sure about the queries, really. If the if else function caused that, I will remove it in the future so it will a simple remove rather then using if else function.

sharks

Hi ahrasis

I apologize for my outcry of a "bug", but it seems like it was some other mod that i had installed just before this one, that was causing the excessive queries. I disabled and then enabled this mod, and it seems like it adds no extra query when viewing the message index. I see 16 queries before enabling this mod and still 16 queries after enabling this mod.

Good job, ahrasis and i'm very earnestly waiting for your next releases with the improvements and additional features. :)

Thanks for updating sharks. At least I dont have to remove that in the mod. I'll try to update the mod soonest.

sharks

Quote from: Abu Aliya on September 13, 2010, 07:33:04 AM
Thanks for updating sharks. At least I dont have to remove that in the mod. I'll try to update the mod soonest.

Any news on when you might be releasing the new versions? I am also looking for a mod that would disable only the message icon column. Can you make that?

Updated for 2.0 RC4 and 1.1.12.

Remove Message Icon. You want message icon to be removed just in MessageIndex.template.php or Display.template.php or both template files?

sharks

Quote from: ahrasis on November 06, 2010, 07:00:30 PM
Remove Message Icon. You want message icon to be removed just in MessageIndex.template.php or Display.template.php or both template files?

Both would be perfect, so that all message icons (as well as the message icon column) can be removed entirely from all forum areas, when the "remove message icon" option is checked in the admin panel. Also, in the post editor, there should be no drop-down menu to select the message icon.

Thanks a lot for ALL your useful modifications! :)

I am basically interested on learning how the MessageIndex.template.php and Display.template.php works in depth so basically, removing message icon is part of my interest. I am not sure when but I think I'll be doing it sometimes later.

Updated to fulfill some of the requests. Will prepare other mods to fulfill the others.

sharks

Quote from: ahrasis on November 11, 2010, 04:38:07 PM
Updated to fulfill some of the requests. Will prepare other mods to fulfill the others.

Thanks for the updated release, ahrasis. :)

However, there is a small bug that needs to be fixed. After installing the Remove Hot Topic & First Message Icon Mod, there is still the option "Message icon: " when posting a new topic and when modifying an existing topic. That option should have been removed after installing your updated mod, as it's useless to allow selecting the message icon when the latter will not be displayed in the topics list.

Also, it would be perfect if you could integrate the following independent options in the admin panel:

1. remove hot topics icons only.
2. remove message icons only.
(if both options 1 and 2 are checked, then both should be disabled on the entire forum).

Thanks again for your efforts.

Advertisement: