News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[WIP] Simple Collection

Started by akyhne, August 23, 2010, 07:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akyhne

Every forum is about something, love, hate, gaming, hardware, software, mods, photography etc.

Personally I run a Gran Turismo site - well it's more like a Playstation gaming AND PS3 gaming site. So I have a bunch of users with the same interests and the same purposes... PS3 gaming!
Our members own different games and the same games, but users don't really have an overview of who owns what. This has always bothered me, as we arrange gaming together. Option is - if I want to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 - to check the topics regarding this game. Hmm, who did really buy this game?! Who should I invite by PM, by topic announcement or whatever!

So I thought about this for a long time, actually way over a year. Suddently the idea was there - a mod called Simple Collection.

Simple Collection is a feature that adds categories to your SMF forum. Categories can be enabled and disabled as preferred. I have a game forum, so I'd be enabling the categories 'PS3 Games' and 'PSP Games'. My users then have the ability to add a list of all PS3 games and PSP games they own. By visiting their profile, other members can see what items the user has in his collection of PS3 and PSP games.

NOTE: This is not a download system - it's a system for people to show what items they own in private!

A users items

By clicking into an item, other people will be able to see who in the forum also owns the same item, they will be able to follow links to official sites, unofficial sites or topics in your forum, regarding the item etc. Another feature could be to have a description of the item, like a game description.

Simple Collection Main page

Playstation 3 games starting with B in the collection section

Editing your collection in your profile

To be honest, I'm not sure if this will become an official mod. Problem is not to make the mod, it's going to be made for sure - I'm already 1/4 to 1/3 into the work. But it will become a huge mod that will need a lot of support, and I'm not sure I'm going to spend time on that.

Then there are all the categories and that's my main issue. It's a huge job to maintain just the list of PS3 games my users have, and do other forum owners want to make a similar list? Best thing would be to make a common list - sort a way to let us all build a database of items. An admin can then import - somehow - the latest PS3 games added recently. Would be clever, wouldn't it ;) But again, someone would have to maintain or admin the list somehow. I can see myself maintaining the PS3 list for my own users - I will have to by making this mod.
And then if an admin wants to add a few items to his forum but won't share with others, it will be hard to make a system that relies on an open database as well as admins can add their own.
A lot to think about, really.

Input?!

TheListener

Sounds like a good idea.

Be good for teen sites although I imagine lletting the admins decide what they want the lists to be may be easier.

ie books, music, games, etc

MKA is a community forum for the area where I live so it may be something to look forward too.

Akyhne

Why teen sites? As you say, the mod can be used for a various list of items. I only added 5 categories for now, but there will be a various list of categories. There will also be options to add own categories.

chilly

it may be that everyone wants to have different categories. i.e. Books: they can be seperated in many different types:
-sci-fi
-fantasy
-learning stuff
- -html
- -css
- -php
list goes on.
Maybe better provide an import / export function (it has to check it something already exists)
So you can provide those exports somewhere and everyone can add his part if he wants.

Language Coordinator

Akyhne

I suppose you mean different genres of games, books etc. Yeah, I thought about that and how it should be implemented. I don't know if it's going to far, really.
A genre list could really be in the description.

About import/export: Problem with export is simply - did the person do a proper job? Does other people want an item imported, if the description is full of spell errors etc! Did the person attach a decent image - decent quality etc.
There are also problems with covers, covers varies from country to country or at least from continent to continent.

The easiest for me would be to make as many categories as possible, like adding X-box 360, car manufactures etc.etc. then add a few example items for each category.
There would be an option to add own categories, as many sites are about specific products, like there are so many fan sites of a specific product, like a Toyota Corolla fan site or similar. So a site could have a wish for accessories to Corolla car models, where people can add those items they own for their own car.

I'm a member of a site about flatscreen tv's, called http://www.flatpanelshd.com (but the Danish version). People list their equipment list in their sig, like what tv they own, what receiver, surround receiver, speakers, Blu-ray player etc. they own.
My mod gives the admin the ability to show a persons items in various ways in the signature etc., but just think about how many items there needs to be created!

It would be better - if people were to make a common database - to have a common site where people work on items in different categories.
Then if an admin is interested in PS3 games, he can do an import from that database.

DoctorMalboro

But it's very useful for people who sell products, for portfolios, etc.

Akyhne

So if I run a site regarding photography and photo equipment, the collection could run a category with photo equipment. People can then create a list of equipment they own, others can see it.
So if a user buys a Canon 350D camera, he can basically see who else owns same camera. If he got questions, he can ask the others as it's easy for him to see who got the camera as well.

haito

interesting...
it looks like last.fm for music collection & myanimelist.net for anime manga collection..
www.japanesia.co.id | Portal Berita & Komunitas Untuk Kamu yang Suka Jepang

zapiy

wow thats awesome stuff, will you be releasing it m8?
www.maturevideogamer.co.uk
www.consoleplanet.co.uk
www.retrovideogamer.co.uk

Akyhne

If the interest is big enough, yeah. But it's a huge mod. I did most of the user interface, but still lacks a lot on the admin/management side. If there's no interest in the mod, I'll just keep it to myself and manage it on DB level.

zapiy

That would be a proper shame, that mod deserves some big applause.

www.consoleplanet.co.uk

snork13

Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

Antechinus

Damned cool idea. Best of luck with it. :)

zapiy

Anymore info on this fella?

Cheers
www.consoleplanet.co.uk

Akyhne

Quote from: snork13 on September 30, 2010, 10:01:44 PM
slick. i'm in. shoot me a pm :)
Will do when I get back to it.

Quote from: Antechinus on September 30, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
Cheers, thx m8

Quote from: zapiy on October 21, 2010, 11:39:53 AM

Cheers
Nope, I've not worked on this for a while. Seems I won't get to it for a while as well. I've been busy with RL stuff, making themes and other issues.

But it could be nice to know what people would be using the mod for, so shoot. Maybe it'll inspire me to get back to it sooner ;)

zapiy

Well i would use it the exact same way you have.. For a way of gamers showing what games they own..Maybe make some sort of siggy mod to pull that data.
www.consoleplanet.co.uk

snork13

Quote from: Akyhne on October 21, 2010, 12:30:33 PM
Quote from: snork13 on September 30, 2010, 10:01:44 PM
slick. i'm in. shoot me a pm :)
Will do when I get back to it.

Quote from: Antechinus on September 30, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
Cheers, thx m8

Quote from: zapiy on October 21, 2010, 11:39:53 AM

Cheers
Nope, I've not worked on this for a while. Seems I won't get to it for a while as well. I've been busy with RL stuff, making themes and other issues.

But it could be nice to know what people would be using the mod for, so shoot. Maybe it'll inspire me to get back to it sooner ;)

I have been writing a stand alone version for my artwork collection. it's very basic. a way to store my artwork, based on my values, about 6 tables so far. i wanted to next do something for smf.
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

zapiy

Will you be releasing a game version m8?>
www.consoleplanet.co.uk

Akyhne

I don't know in what form the mod will be released, but probably in a form where people can add own categories.

snork13

Quote from: Akyhne on January 15, 2011, 07:02:01 PM
I don't know in what form the mod will be released, but probably in a form where people can add own categories.

Great idea! Lmk if you need help.
Mods

Advertisement: