News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Not finding Vanilla forum

Started by 1stAngel, October 16, 2010, 04:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1stAngel

Hello :)

Fresh install of SMF 2
Vanilla forum 2.0.9
Same server, separate databases

The message I am getting on the convert is Unable to find the settings for Vanilla. Please double check the path and try again.

PATH TO SMF /home/*****/public_html/community
PATH TO VANILLA /home/*****/public_html/forum

Have I done that bit right?  Help gratefully received please.

Norv

Hello there, and welcome to SMF!

Can you please tell, does your Vanilla installation have a folder /conf, with a file database.php and/or settings.php in it?
That seems to be
/home/*****/public_html/forum/conf/database.php,
respectively
/home/*****/public_html/forum/conf/settings.php
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

1stAngel

The config.php, yes, the database.php no, that is not in conf folder

Norv

config.php?
You might want to try then... in vanilla_to_smf.sql:
Code (find) Select

---~ settings: "/conf/database.php", "/conf/settings.php"

Code (replace) Select

---~ settings: "/conf/config.php", "/conf/settings.php"

then restart the converter.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

1stAngel

1stAngel

er there is no settings.php there either, just the config.php

No database.php anywhere I can see, nor settings.php

Norv

That's okay, please try the code replacement above. It could also be without settings.php, but the enumeration is there only to give an extra chance (maybe the first file will be found, maybe the second), it doesn't hurt.

You can however, since it's obviously this one, simplify it as you say:
Code (replace) Select

---~ settings: "/conf/config.php"

1stAngel

I tried that :(  I now get a white page of death and nothing else.

If I go into the new community area nothing has changed.  Looks like it doesn't work for me :(

Norv

It surely should work, it's just a bit unexpected for the moment. My Vanilla has differently named configuration files... :)

If you want, you can try any of:
1) send me in a PM the content of the config file (feel free to alter passwords and such, however please keep the format intact), perhaps I can figure out what is wrong with it
2) or, you could create a new file (lets not mess this config.php one, so that your Vanilla installation won't be affected in any way), name it, lets say, config2.php, and add to it:

<?php
$Configuration
['DATABASE_NAME'] = 'your_database_name';
$Configuration['DATABASE_TABLE_PREFIX'] = 'your_vanilla_table_prefix';
?>

(If you don't know any, please see in config.php - open it in a reasonable code editor (like Notepad++ on windows), and you should see the data in it)
Then please adapt again the converter, to point to config2.php this time. (sorry :))

---~ settings: "/conf/config2.php"

1stAngel

Ok with your help I am getting there :)

I made a config2 and put it in the folder
I then tried convert but my database user for SMF did not have permission to use the Vanilla database so I easily remedied that by giving permission and it accepted.  However

I have been using a WP3 bridge, Proxy Connect SSO, and that may have caused the next error so am unsure what to do next.  I have disabled the bridge but that made no difference.

-------------------------

Converting members...
Unsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT
    m.UserID AS id_member, m.Name as member_name, m.DateFirstVisit AS date_registered,
    (m.CountDiscussions + m.CountComments) AS posts, m.DateLastActive AS last_login,
    CASE m.RoleID WHEN 4 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS id_group, m.Password AS passwd,
    CONCAT_WS(' ', m.FirstName, m.LastName) AS real_name, m.Email AS email_address,
    CASE m.UtilizeEmail WHEN 1 THEN 0 ELSE 1 END as hide_email, m.Picture AS avatar,
    m.RemoteIp AS member_ip, m.RemoteIp AS member_ip2, '' AS password_salt,
    '' AS lngfile, '' AS buddy_list, '' AS pm_ignore_list, '' AS message_labels,
    '' AS personal_text, '' AS time_format, '' AS usertitle, '' AS secret_question,
    '' AS secret_answer, '' AS validation_code, '' AS additional_groups, '' AS smiley_set
    FROM `*****_vanilla`.GDN_User AS m
    LIMIT 0, 500;

Caused the error:

Unknown column 'm.RoleID' in 'field list'

-----------------------------------

By the way, I wanted to say I really appreciate the help you are giving me!

Norv

:(
I'm afraid this may take a little longer however, than I thought. It's not the bridge. I installed Vanilla 2.0.11 and I see that in the 2.0 line they have made quite a number of database changes. Our converters were written for Vanilla 1.1.x..
I'll come back on this asap.

1stAngel

Orrie

I'm much interested in this too, and would love if a 2.X.X supported converter!

Silentspy

would really like a 2.xx converter! :D

1stAngel

Just a little bump, ever so small, just to see if anyone is upgrading this within the forseeable future as I am stuck with a forum I dont want and I REALLY want to use SMF instead :)

Nibogo

Quote from: 1stAngel on October 21, 2010, 09:37:23 AM
Just a little bump, ever so small, just to see if anyone is upgrading this within the forseeable future as I am stuck with a forum I dont want and I REALLY want to use SMF instead :)

Sorry for the delay, if no one else do it I could give it a look, if you can send me a copy of your database that would help me a lot :)

1stAngel

Not sure what you mean database.... you mean my vanilla sql?

1stAngel

I can do it.  How should I send it?

Advertisement: