Forum Firewall

Started by butchs, January 15, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

It is working, read reply 384 and back.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

yakyakyak

RC3 and all installed fine with 1 minor edit

So far looking good but running scnforumfirewall produces an internal server error ???

butchs

You can disable the FF "scn" in Scheduled tasks.  Please PM me the error as I am working on a new release to go with 2.0 gold and will try to squeeze it in...
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

yakyakyak

Quote from: butchs on May 31, 2011, 04:26:39 PM
You can disable "scnforumfirewall" in Scheduled tasks.  Please PM me the error as I am working on a new release to go with 2.0 gold and will try to squeeze it in...

Would you believe it - it's working this morning and nothing has been changed ???

Ruediger63

Hello,

i need german Lang for the Firewall

eric1234

In visitor report, it state something just like in the picture. What does that mean?

butchs

That was discussed before.  Spammers spoofing the ip address.
8)

spiros

Does it work with 2 Final?

butchs

Yes  Could use a translation???  Hint hint hint...
:-X

R-one

just to let you know..

I installed this mod and ran it as advised, in testing mode for a few days.

I decided against activating it as it was a little overpowered for my particular forum.
without having ever activated the actual blocking, I uninstalled it.

it was during the uninstall that the mod went ahead and banned every IP/member that was in the log for DOS Attacks during the testing duration.

this is a quite harmful bug as most people will not realize this has occured until the number of online members drops dramatically after uninstallation.

please reply with why this happened?

I am using 2.0 gold and no other related mods.

thank you.

spiros

I noticed like a 60% decrease in stats since installing it... how do you check whether it has banned IPs?

R-one

in your Admin section under the 'members' area.. there is the Ban List

check in there.
you will likely find a whole lot of people who are banned for reasons like 'DOS Attack' or Geo IP etc..

i do not recommend this mod unless you are very very vigilant and know exactly what you are doing.
like I said, it is overpowered for a lot of medium sized forums.

butchs

R-one, I call BS,  there is no bug in the mod.  The mod will work if when you follow instructions and ask questions when you are confused.  It is obvious that you did not set up the mod correctly.  Do not select GeoIP unless you have conformed it is working.  Try again after you get experience.

Quote from: spiros on June 24, 2011, 01:41:36 AM
I noticed like a 60% decrease in stats since installing it... how do you check whether it has banned IPs?

That is good, if set up correctly you removed the spam traffic to your site that has no value.  All banned ip's are in the visitor list when logging is enabled.

R-one

gettin your back up a bit there aren't ya bloke?

I have been modifying and contributing to smf for years. i'm not some half baked pleb.

i installed your mod. without error. ran it under TEST MODE only.. for a few days. monitored the logs and noticed that it was calling
DOS Attack on people I know personally who were doing something as basic as checking their PMs.
I decided against activating it..
then uninstalled it. without error.
and BAM it bans everyone in the logs.

that my snappy little friend.. smacks of 'bug' now doesn't it?

instead of defending your mod into the ground.. why don't YOU ask the questions and see if you can't replicate the issue and fix it?

butchs

No bug, you ran the "Geo IP" feature even though it does not work on your site.  Then there is the whitelist feature that is meant for all good members.  You should have asked the question before you calmed fault.

The mod will not ban anyone after uninstallation.  Are you are smoking something?  When a mod is uninstalled, it will do nothing.  Who do you work for the spam bots?

R-one

nice attitude you have there.

i will repeat it for the third time.
i never actually activated the mod. it never made it out of test mode.
Therefore I should have been able to tick and untick every option under the sun.. for the purpose of 'testing'
without any members being banned whatsoever.

which is what it did.
until uninstallation.
the point at which your fantastic bug free top heavy completely unnecessary mod.. banned everyone in the monitor log anyway.

and for your information I am aware of what GeoIP is for and how it works.
Believe it or not, you're not the only one out there with two eyes and half a brain.

Only you seem to have inherited a healthy dose of arrogance to boot.

R-one

at the very least..

AVOID THIS MOD for the attitude of its author.

bye bye

butchs

I treat others as they treat me.  I spent 12 months developing this mod.  I was not paid to do it.  I did it for one reason to stop bots.  This the mod does well...

The only one here with the attitude is R-one.  You come to this thread and post that you did not like the mod and uninstalled it, do not use it.  You are spamming this thread.  If you wanted support you could have asked for it.  But instead you opt to bash the mod.

It is impossible for the mod to BAN everyone during uninstallation.  As per SMF policy when a mod is uninstalled all code is completely removed and all the files are deleted 100%.

There is no code in the mod that reviews the visitor log or does anything with the log.  The log is for display purposes only!  Nothing else.  Data from the log is not used to ban anyone.

Your problem is unrelated to the mod.

I know for a fact that my mods are effective.  They stop bots in their tracks.  The spam bot users can not go around them.  The spam bots operators loose money.  Spam bot users fear my mods and will do whatever they can to keep people from using them.  They have trashed this and my other threads before.  They jump on here and claim it does not work, do not use this mod.  It will destroy your life.  It is true they do not want you to use the mod.  But the real reason is that it is destroying their income.

Sorry Spam Bot Operators but your words are mere advertisements...  Go away and pester VB!
8)

butchs

All please remember that this mod is free.  Donations are optional.  To date I have just four donations for all my mods combined.  I spent thousands upon thousands of hours working on this mod to stop the bot assault.  I could have easily kept it for myself and not shared it with the world.  I do not mind helping people.  I enjoy solving problems.  So, unless you plan to leave a donation leave the attitude at the front door.

I have better things to do with my abilities than deal with snotty bot users and punks who think I work for them.  Maybe I will simply stop all public work on the mod.  Then the bots will have the freedom to trash your bandwidth and force you to pay more for your hosting.

My mods were first developed for me.  It is from the kindness of my heart I share them with everyone.  There is no reason for attitude.

butchs

Quote from: spiros on June 24, 2011, 01:41:36 AM

Let me rephrase my answer.  There are two modes in the mod:  blocking and banning.  Blocking is enabled via "Block Violations".  Banning is enabled via "Longterm Ban" not set to "NEVER" and "DOS Attack" enabled (and "Block Violations" enabled in version 1.1.1 and greater).  You can also have emails set to you when someone is banned.

Both Blocked and Banned users are all listed in the "Visitors" log of the mod.  Banned users are in "Admin/members/Ban List".

The banning feature should be used after you adjust your Robots.txt, Google, Yahoo and MSN webmaster good bot hit rates and you are not using another mods with poor code that use excessive bandwidth.

A 60% decrease in stats is a good thing.  The purpose of these type of mods is to reduce the bad traffic to your site.

Advertisement: