News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Permissionlevel for admin profile field

Started by locutusweb, January 18, 2011, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locutusweb

In the profile field, it's possible to make that field only visible by setting the privacy level at "This field is only visible to admins".

The problem is that a member wants to help out on my private forum. So I gave him some extended moderator permissions, like registering new members. All this works just fine, but what permission do I have to give him to make this field visible for him? Please note, I don't wat to give him full admin rights...

TIA

Illori

there is no way to do what you want, you can request a mod request though.

locutusweb

Thanks for your blazing fast answer.

So this is only possible by giving him admin rights? Right?

Illori

or having a mod made which would be better then giving someone admin rights as then they could kill your whole forum.

Road Rash Jr.

Global Moderator works fine already built in
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Illori

but a global moderator can not edit the admin only fields, which is what the op wanted.

Road Rash Jr.

Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Illori

what about admin ONLY do you not get? a field that is for admin only to edit is for admin ONLY, hence the ops question.

locutusweb

What about I create a membergroup based on the admin permissions, but without the member touching the configuration section of SMF?

Road Rash Jr.

Have you tried it yourself? Works fine on all my forums. Global Moderators can see and edit those extra fields, they can even create them.
Using RC4 on over 25 forums.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: locutusweb on January 18, 2011, 09:25:06 AM
What about I create a membergroup based on the admin permissions, but without the member touching the configuration section of SMF?

That's what the Global Moderator does only limited by the restrictions you place in their permission settings.

Spoogs

No one can see those fields without the "Administrate Forum & Database" permission if they are set to admin only
If your globals can see them, then you must have given them that permission

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Spoogs on January 18, 2011, 09:40:57 AM
No one can see those fields without the "Administrate Forum & Database" permission if they are set to admin only
If your globals can see them, then you must have given them that permission

You hit the nail on the head. The Global mod with full unrestricted permissions is the same as admin only they can't see or change the forum server settings.
But they have access to everything else the admin can see or do.

Spoogs

but see since thats a permission... it wouldnt be that "Globals" can do it... anyone with that permission can do it ;)

[however its not something I'd recommended to anyone unless you truly trust said person(s)]

And yes they can change the sever settings... try it! (well they can change the info at least)

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Spoogs on January 18, 2011, 09:54:34 AM
but see since thats a permission... it wouldnt be that "Globals" can do it... anyone with that permission can do it ;)

[however its not something I'd recommended to anyone unless you truly trust said person(s)]

And yes they can change the sever settings... try it! (well they can change the info at least)

Works for me on my forums. ;D 

Spoogs

Oh sure  8) you i'm not worried about... but rather the OP know what they're gettinig into with that permission

locutusweb

Okay, guys. I have tested it and is possible, the downside is: you are giving your moderator full access to your forum. I do have to think about that.

Spoogs

Before you decide how to proceed I'd suggest doing as Illori stated and post a mod request to see if someone is willing to make such a mod http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=79.0

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: locutusweb on January 18, 2011, 10:18:45 AM
Okay, guys. I have tested it and is possible, the downside is: you are giving your moderator full access to your forum. I do have to think about that.

Yup, giving any permissions to any level of members group has it's upside and downside. You as the admin need to weigh your options and decide if you TRUST that person enough. One mistake many make is give admin to someone. That should never happen IMO under any circustance.

Advertisement: