News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrading from 1.1 RC3 to 2.0 RC5

Started by nwflyboy, May 07, 2011, 09:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In Phpmyadmin this should be simple. Click on the DB name on the left hand side, find the table _log_boards in the listed tables,
check the checkbox - and way down after the list, you will see a dropdown including "Repair". Select "repair".

Be sure not to select Truncate or Drop though, some versions of phpmyadmin may not ask for confirmation!
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

NanoSector

While you are at it, perform this at all tables (Select All link) to avoid any future problems :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nwflyboy

Hmm. OK, so in phpMyAdmin, I've selected the forum database on the left pane. The Structure tab is active by default, and it lists a lot of tables (94).  Half of them have the prefix "backup_".  I note that the item "smf_log_boards" is listed as "in use" (it's the only one that doesn't show details for Records, Type, Collation, Size and Overhead).  This is the item that's listed in the error message in my screenshot above.

OK, so if I scroll down to the bottom of the display, I can click the "Check All" function, and every item is checked.  There's a dropdown (centered under the bottom of the list) that includes "Repair Table".

I should select that? (gulp...)  Is this a fairly low-risk activity?

Anything else I should watch out for?  What should I expect to see happen if it goes well?  Assuming it does, should I then click the "Continue" button in the SMF Upgrade Utility in the web browser that's still open, or do I need to re-initiate the upgrade.php file?

Thanks again!

Illori

repairing a table that is not broken will not cause a problem so repairing all should not cause issues.

i would start the upgrade process over once you repair the tables. if the table is still "in use" after the repair, verify that your forum is in maintenance mode, if it is not put it in maintenance mode and try again.

nwflyboy

The forum is definitely in maintenance mode.

OK, I did the above - was not sure if anything happened, since there was no confirmation dialog or "Do It" button. After about 10 seconds, the screen refreshed, with the happy message "Your SQL query has been executed successfully".

Looking down through the new display, for the item "smf_log_boards" I see two consecutive entries:

repair   Error   Incorrect key file for table 'smf_log_boards'; try...
repair   error   Corrupt

I do see the entry for backup_smf_boards   repair   status   OK

Is that something worth pursuing?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If the query ran succesfully, try rerunning the upgrade.php now - it should pick up from where it left off the last time. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

nwflyboy

Well, I tried running the upgrade.php file again, and hit the same problem with the same item.  I did tell it to continue from where it had stopped previously. Starting from the beginning, the results are the same.

Two questions....

1. The "backup" version of this table ("backup_smf_log_boards") is listed as OK.  It shows as having 18,154 records with a size of 405.6 KB, so there's something in there.  Is there a simple way to delete the contents of the "smf_log_boards" table and replace it with the "backup_smf_log_boards" table?

2. What exactly does this table keep track of?  Maybe I don't care about it too much.

Thanks again.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You should be able to export the backup_smf_log_boards table, and then Truncate the original smf_log_boards table, and import the data to it.

But, before going that way, I'd try to repair the table once more, and making sure to note every message it might give.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

nwflyboy

Repaired all the tables again, the results are the same:

everything shows repair - status - OK, except for these two entries:

(forumDBname).smf_log_boards      repair   Error   Incorrect key file for table 'smf_log_boards'; try...
(forumDBname).smf_log_boards      repair   error   Corrupt

:-\

Any suggestions are welcome (although I have no experience with tweaking databases, so I will probably need some detailed hand-holding - sorry).

I'm pretty tired - it's after 0400 in the morning here and I've been fighting with this for most of the day.  I need to get some sleep now.  I will check back in a few hours and try to pick up the pieces then.

Many thanks again for the help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm sadly no DB guru myself either, but while you sleep - it may be someone with a better understanding of that side comes along ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

NanoSector

Try to remove that table and renaming the backup table to that table.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 07:34:18 AM
Doing this has the small risk of losing the only copy of that table you still have in the DB - So better would be to make a new copy of it first.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

NanoSector

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 09, 2011, 07:35:24 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 07:34:18 AM
Doing this has the small risk of losing the only copy of that table you still have in the DB - So better would be to make a new copy of it first.
Eeh, yeah. Make a backup of the backup :P

Illori

and i dont off hand see a way to "rename" a table in phpmyadmin without a query. the user having this problem would need a detailed query to do this task. anyone know how to do that? or it is as simple as backup the table drop the old and upload the backup to the new table?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'd go about doing it like I said earlier.
Export the contents of the backup, Truncate the original, import the exported backup data to the original table. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 07:37:08 AM
and i dont off hand see a way to "rename" a table in phpmyadmin without a query. the user having this problem would need a detailed query to do this task. anyone know how to do that? or it is as simple as backup the table drop the old and upload the backup to the new table?
eeh, yeah I do.

The selected text says "Rename table to". And the table that is opened is not from SMF.

Illori

the version of phpmyadmin that i am looking at does not seem to have that feature and i am unsure where you are to find that since your screenshot is not in english.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 07:42:51 AM
the version of phpmyadmin that i am looking at does not seem to have that feature and i am unsure where you are to find that since your screenshot is not in english.
At the Operations tab when you open a table.

I am using the latest RC.

Illori

ok, that is available in my version 3.3.9 as well, but the above idea to leave the backup in place might be the best idea.

NanoSector

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 07:47:31 AM
ok, that is available in my version 3.3.9 as well, but the above idea to leave the backup in place might be the best idea.
But then you can copy the "new" table as a backup table :P

Advertisement: