News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrading from 1.1 RC3 to 2.0 RC5

Started by nwflyboy, May 07, 2011, 09:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwflyboy

I've been waiting and waiting, and now the time has come.

My forum is running SMF 1.1 RC3 (I know, I know...).  I'm now ready to make the move to SMF 2.0 RC5, but have a few questions about the best order to do things in...

First, and most important, is there any reason to upgrade from 1.1 RC3 to 1.1.13 first (as an interim step to ensure things go smoothly), and then upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC5?  Or is it just as safe to simply upgrade directly from 1.2 RC3 to 2.0 RC5?

Regarding mods and themes....if it makes any difference, my forum is currently running the TinyPortal mod, version 0.9.5 (no other mods).  Once I switch to SMF 2.0 RC5, I probably will not install TinyPortal, but might do that later.  I'm also running a custom theme that I don't expect to be compatible with 2.0.  So before I do the upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC5, I will probably just uninstall TinyPortal and switch temporarily to the default SMF theme.  After the upgrade to 2.0 has been completed, I will worry about themes then.

And yes, I have been backing up my forum regularly, and will do so immediately before attempting the upgrade.   :)

So....do I need to go through the smaller upgrade to 1.1.13 to be safe, or just go all the way to 2.0 RC5 in one jump?  Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Illori

you can just upload the large upgrade pack and it will upgrade you from any version of smf to that version.

as you suggested your old theme will not work on 2.0 and would need to be updated.

Upgrading SMF

nwflyboy

Thanks - I'd rather just do it once, but mostly I want it to go smoothly and keep everything intact (all messages, the forum structure, accounts, permissions, etc.).  I am assuming that all of these things should be preserved.

I'm reading through the linked documentation above right now.  If I have any dumb questions, I'll be back here to ask them.

I'll do one last backup before starting, then will take a deep breath and keep my fingers crossed.

Many thanks again for the help.

Illori

you are welcome, for the mean time i will mark this solved, if you have further questions you can mark it unsolved.

kat

DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP THE DATABASE, TOO!!!

nwflyboy

Thanks - and yes, I did back up the database.  :)

So I've run into a couple of wrinkles, probably minor(?)....

1. Before upgrading, I attempted to Uninstall the TinyPortal mod.  I got messages that "installing" would be unsuccessful, but since I was trying to get rid of TinyPortal, I figured that would be OK.  So I told it to go ahead and uninstall.  That appeared to have failed, and now when attempting to access the forum, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined.
function: tportal_sidebar() in
/home/(my database user name)/public_html/Sources/Load.php(1726)
: eval()'d code on line 217

I'm not that worried about this, since I assume that once the upgrade is complete, this mod will probably be blown away or at least disabled - correct?  Should I fix this issue before proceding?

2. I have realized that I may have a potentially larger issue with the location/naming convention used for my forum.  This may or may not be a problem, but I figure this may be the right to find out if it is...

Way back when I first created this forum, I (apparently) unzipped the installation package (which was SMF 1.1 RC2, the latest version at the time) on my local computer, and all the files were in a folder named "smf_1-1-rc2_install". Then I uploaded that folder via FTP to a folder named "forum" on my website.  So the path to the legacy forum files has been:

mydomain/public_html/forum/smf_1-1-rc2_install/(all the individual files & subfolders)

I would like to correct this, and have the new forum live in the following location:

mydomain/public_html/forum/(all the individual files & subfolders)

What's the best way to accomplish this?  Would it be best to simply upload the upgrade files (loose) into the existing folder where the legacy files currently are (mydomain/public_html/forum/smf_1-1-rc2_install/) just to accomplish the upgrade, and then (after the upgrade is complete, assuming it's successful), then figure out how to "move" things up in the directory hierarchy?

I'm not sure how large/complex a task it is to "move" things and make sure all the pointers are lined up correctly.  Although it would be a little odd to have the SMF2.0 stuff sitting in a folder named "smf_1-1-rc2_install", that's OK for the time being (my users won't see that - only me and all the spam bots).  I'm guessing that the Upgrade package is designed to be run when all the old files have been overwritten by newer files, and it'll only work correctly when both old and new files are (or were) in the same source directory (that is, there's no provision to "upgrade" an older version into a new location) - correct?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks again (and I've changed the status of this back to Normal from Solved).

Illori

you can move the files and run What is repair_settings.php? to fix your paths to direct them back to where they should be.

nwflyboy

Sorry, not trying to be intentionally dense here, just want to clarify things.

Are you saying that I should...

A: Upload the (unzipped) upgrade package to the same directory where my legacy forum is (overwriting the older files), complete the upgrade, and then (later, after everything has been finished) then move and fix things using the repair_settings.php file?

or

B: Upload the (unzipped) upgrade package to the directory where where I want the forum to be after it's upgraded (which is not the same location as my legacy forum), run the repair_settings.php file in the new location, and then complete the upgrade?

or

C: Upload the (unzipped) upgrade package to the directory where where I want the forum to be after it's upgraded (which is not the same location as my legacy forum), then perform the upgrade, and then run the repair_settings.php file to get things to point correctly to the new location?

or

D: none of the above?

I think you mean A (and hope you do, since otherwise I'm not exactly sure how to go about this).  Correct?

Thanks again!

Illori

yes option A will work to do what you want.

nwflyboy

Great, thanks - I'm FTPing the files now.

I guess I shouldn't worry about that error I was getting after I tried to uninstall the TinyPortal mod?  After the upgrade is complete, it probably won't be looking for that - right?

I will report back after the files upload and I run the upgrade.php file.

Thanks again.

Illori

all your files will be overwritten, minus a few important files, with the upgrade, so any prior errors or issues related to the files will be gone.

nwflyboy

Question about CHMODing the new files:

In my FTP application ("CyberDcuk, a Mac OS FTP client), there's an "Info" dialog where I can access Unix Permissions (and edit the value), there's a button labeled "Apply changes recursively" - there doesn't appear to be a simple "apply".  But when I make the change to 777 (the value was 755) and close the dialog, it does seem to accept the value (it's sticky).

Suggestions on whether I should click "Apply changes recursively"?

nwflyboy

Files have been uploaded, and all the necessary items have been CHMOD'ed to 777.

When I attempt to run the upgrade.php file, I get the following message:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@[my_domain_name].com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.42 Server at www.[my_domain_name].com Port 80

I'm attempting to access and run the file by entering the path/name in my browser and hitting Return.  Same thing happens if I select the file in my FTP client and choose the command to "Open in browser."  My browser is Safari 5.0.4 (6533.20.27), MacOS 10.6.7.  I have other computers available (running Win XP and Win Vista) with those other browser available if it makes a difference.

I am confident that I am hitting the correct file (assuming that's upgrade.php); I can select another file in the same directory and access it successfully (e.g. news_readme.html opens successfully in a browser).

Ideas?

nwflyboy

Just to clarify and update...

I realized that I had been attempting to upgrade the forum files in the wrong directory (d'oh!).  I guess when I originally installed SMF, I dumped one installation in a sub-directory (just the files, with no database associated), and when that didn't work, I uploaded a second set of the files into the root (public_html) directory of my website.  That worked, and has been working fine for a long time.  Today, when I attempted to upgrade from SMF 1.1 RC3 to 2.0 RC5, I was aiming at the wrong directory.  Stoopid user.

OK, I have fixed that tonight.  I uploaded all the files from the SMF 2.0 RC5 large upgrade package to the root directory (where my functioning forum has been working just fine until today), I CHMOD'ed the required files (and double-checked them).  Then I attempted to run upgrade.php by opening it in a web browser.  When I do so, I'm getting this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@[my_domain].com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.42 Server at www.[my_domain].com Port 80

So I'm still stuck.  At least now I'm stuck with the correct directory.

Any suggestions for how to fix this and make it work again?

Thanks again for the help.

NanoSector

CHMOD the files to 755, it can be possible that your server does not accept 777.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nwflyboy

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 05:15:33 AM
CHMOD the files to 755, it can be possible that your server does not accept 777.

Son of a gun...that did it!  THANK YOU.

OK, off to watch it churn.

Many thanks again.

NanoSector

Quote from: nwflyboy on May 09, 2011, 05:27:57 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 05:15:33 AM

Son of a gun...that did it!  THANK YOU.

OK, off to watch it churn.

Many thanks again.
No problem, upgrading should be dead simple if you follow the steps :)
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nwflyboy

Well, it seemed to be going OK there for a bit.

But it now seems to have stalled here:

I did select the option to make a backup, so I'm prepared for it to sit and grind for a while, but I would assume that the progress indicators would continue to update, and it's been stuck like this (15% overall, 2% step, elapsed time 7 mins 7 seconds), and although the Continue button changes states on rollover, I've clicked it several times and nothing seems to happen.

I assume that I should see some change to the progress indicators, even if it's busy with a large backup (when I manually backup my database files, it's about 56 MB).  It's been stuck with these numbers for at least 5 minutes.  I'll give it another 15 minutes just to be sure, but I'm wondering if something else has gone amiss now.

Thanks again.

NanoSector

EDIT: Forget this, it seems to log the board IDs and topic/post numbers.

Try to repair the table from within phpMyAdmin or any other database manager your host may have.

nwflyboy

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 09, 2011, 05:54:19 AM
Try to repair the table from within phpMyAdmin or any other database manager your host may have.

My host seems to have multiple tools available, including phpMyAdmin (and MySQL Databases, MySQL Databases Wizard, and others) - but I have no clue how to use any of these.

My forum is fairly large and has a complex structure.  I do have backups of everything that I made before I messed with anything today.

How worried should I be?

Advertisement: