Upgrading from 1.1 RC3 to 2.0 RC5

Started by nwflyboy, May 07, 2011, 09:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwflyboy

Good morning and hello again.  I've got a few hours sleep and am ready to try this again.  First of all, many thanks again for your assistance, it's much appreciated.

I will probably need some more specific, step-by-step instructions to accomplish what you are suggesting. But first...

There are three of you helping (thanks again - I am glad to have all your input).  Am I correct in understanding that the consensus seems to be to follow the suggestion made by Yoshi2889 (summary follows)?

If so, I think I understand that (at least the idea, I will want to clarify the exact steps in a later post).  Please correct me if any of the following is not correct - I believe the suggestion is to accomplish the following:

A. Remove the bad table from the database.
B. Make a copy of the backup table in the database.
C. Rename the new copy of the backup table with the name of the original (bad) table.
This would effectively move the contents of the backup table into the database in place of the original (bad) table (and would preserve the same data in a backup table in case it's needed later).

Earlier in the thread, I believe Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen had suggested a more complex-sounding sequence, "Export the contents of the backup, Truncate the original, import the exported backup data to the original table."  If I follow the steps above (A, B, C), does that mean it's not necessary to export, truncate the original, and import back the data?  Just want to be sure.

My apologies in advance if I seem overly simplistic on this stuff. I have no experience with databases, and just want to be sure I understand all the steps completely before proceeding. I am guessing that some of you may not be native English speakers (although your English is excellent), so I just want to minimize any misunderstanding or misinterpretation I might make. I appreciate that this conversation is conveniently in my native language (if it were it German of Finnish, it would be a very short, one-sided conversation ;D).

Many thanks again - more questions on the specific steps to accomplish this will follow shortly (assuming that I understand the above correctly).

NanoSector

That's correct, and if you follow A B and C you will not need to import, export and truncate.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nwflyboy

Great, thanks.  A couple follow up questions...

Looking over the user interface for phpMyAdmin, I have one question about what specific command/function to use to remove the bad table...

A. Remove the bad table from the database:
1. On the Structure tab, select the checkbox for the "bad" table (in this case, "smf_log_boards")
2. Then...in the "Action" column...which of the following is correct?
2A: click the "Empty" icon (looks like a trash can)
- or -
2B" click the "Drop" icon (looks like a red X)?
- or -
2C: at the bottom of the browser window listing all the tables, on the popup labelled "With selected:", choose "Drop"?

I notice that the "Empty" icon appears dimmed (may be disabled) - the item is listed as "in use"

Then, I'm not completely sure about the backup-then-rename operations; can B and C be done in a single step?

B. Make a copy of the backup table in the database + C. Rename the new copy of the backup table with the name of the original (bad) table.
1. In the left pane, click on the name of the "good" table (in this case, "backup_smf_log_boards") to select it
2. Click the Operations tab
3. In the "Copy table to (database.table)" group, enter the name for the new table (in this case, the name entered should be "smf_log_boards")
4. Be sure that the "Structure and data" radio button is selected
5. Do not select any of the following checkboxes: Add DROP TABLE, Add AUTO_INCREMENT value, Switch to copied table
6. Click the "Go" button in the lower right corner of the "Copy table to (database.table)" group.

Is that all correct?

Thanks again!

NanoSector

1. Hit the big X on the "broken" table.

2. Enter the name of the just-deleted table.

That should do it :)
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

nwflyboy

and indeed, that did it.  Whew!   :o

OK, the upgrade churned for a while, and seems to have completed.  I'm now looking at the "Upgrade Complete" screen:

Two final (I hope) questions....

1. The happy text reads That wasn't so hard, was it? Now you are ready to use your installation of SMF. Hope you like it!

I hope so, too.  ;)  But when I click that link to go to my forum, it's still in maintenance mode.  How can I flip the switch to take it out of maintenance mode and get it back to normal mode?

2. There's an option to Delete this upgrade.php and its data files now.  I figure I might want to see the forum is functional first before doing this, no?  Or is there no benefit to hanging on to it now?  I do understand that it may be a security risk so I'll certainly get rid of it. If I don't chose this option now, is there a list of all the items I should delete to clean up manually?

Many thanks again....Of course, I won't sleep much until I see it's functional...I have my fingers crossed and am holding my breath until I see the forum functioning...

Illori

you only need to remove upgrade.php the other files are safe to keep in place. admin -> server settings -> uncheck enable maintenance mode and save the page.

kat

nwflyboy

Okiedokie, I've removed the upgrade.php file - done.

However, the forum is still in maintenance mode.  When I go there in my browser, I just get the plain text message that I entered when I put it in maintenance mode - I can't get to any of the forum interface, so I can't access admin -> server settings.

How do I get there?

Thanks again everyone!

Illori

open your settings.php file with a text editor there is a line in there about maintenance mode and how to disable it.

NanoSector

Quote from: nwflyboy on May 09, 2011, 04:43:25 PM
Okiedokie, I've removed the upgrade.php file - done.

However, the forum is still in maintenance mode.  When I go there in my browser, I just get the plain text message that I entered when I put it in maintenance mode - I can't get to any of the forum interface, so I can't access admin -> server settings.

How do I get there?

Thanks again everyone!
Open up Settings.php (no not Options.php :P), search for this:
$maintenance = 2;

and change the "2" to "0".

nwflyboy

OK, got it out of maintenance mode...but....

It's broken.  It appears to still have some leftover items from before the upgrade, and one (probably both) of these are preventing me from accessing the admin section, so I can't make it work.  Specifically....

1. It's attempting to use an old custom theme ("Amber") that I know is not compatible with SMF 2.0.  This is the same custom theme that it was using before the upgrade.

2. It's also attempting to load a mod ("TinyPortal") that I don't need, and which I attempted to uninstall yesterday right before beginning the upgrade.  The details are (more or less) the same as I posted in the 6th post in this thread.  To save you all from scrolling, here's the specific error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined.
function: tportal_sidebar() in
/home/(my database user name)/public_html/Sources/Load.php(2162)
: eval()'d code on line 217

So....I assume I need to go in and manually change two things somewhere:

1. Switch the theme to one of the (SMF 2.0) default themes.

2. Remove or ignore the TinyPortal mod (which did not uninstall successfully).  I'm guessing this is probably the more critical one - maybe if this is disabled I'll be able to get to the admin section?

Can someone provide guidance on how to accomplish this?

Thanks again!

Illori

upload this What is repair_settings.php? and ONLY use the part about resetting your theme to default and see if that helps.

nwflyboy

I uploaded and ran repair_settings.php.  Under "Paths & URLs" (the last section), it indicates that it is correctly pointing to the default theme: the values for all Theme-related items do match the recommended values.

I don't see any way there to manage Mods.

Not sure if it's related to this issue, but there is one item in repair_settings.php that's flagged as wrong:

Queryless URLs:      []   Off (recommended)
Value not found!         []   On

I'm going to remove the repair_settings.php now just to guard against a bad guy gaining control (OK, I'm paranoid). I can re-upload it when needed.

Thanks.

Illori

did you apply the change anyway for the theme part with repair_settings.php? this should make the above error message go away. for queryless urls i would go with the default off value.

nwflyboy

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 05:31:13 PM
did you apply the change anyway for the theme part with repair_settings.php? this should make the above error message go away. for queryless urls i would go with the default off value.

I went back and did both (set the queryless URLs setting to Off, and clicked the recommended values for each of the Theme-related settings, then clicked the Save Setting button).  Results appear to be the same.

Thanks.

Illori

can you try adding index.php?theme=1 to your url and see if that helps? if not then i would suggest uploading all files but upgrade.php to your server again and see if that helps.

nwflyboy

Quote from: Illori on May 09, 2011, 05:44:50 PM
can you try adding index.php?theme=1 to your url and see if that helps? if not then i would suggest uploading all files but upgrade.php to your server again and see if that helps.

Yes - that works: adding the suffix index.php?theme=1 makes it all appear functional. A quick check of the message base and it looks like everything is there - whew!

Now, accessing Admin > Themes and Layout > Manage and Install, in Themes and Layout, I do see that the Overall forum default is listed as SMF Default Theme - Core.  The value for "Reset everyone to: is currently set to "No change".

Should I go ahead and make changes there (i.e. re-select the "Default Theme - Core" for both "Overall Forum Default" and "Reset everyone to"?  I have found that one theme can get "stuck" and changing both settings here was the only way to force it to behave.

I note that the old Amber theme is still available to select - I'll want to remove that soon, I assume.  After that, I guess I'll try to wipe out any last bits of the TinyPortal mod....yes?

Illori

you can go ahead and reset to default theme for everyone. yes removing that theme should clean out the last of tinyportal as it was being called from that theme, it seems.

nwflyboy

And all seems well - within seconds, I've already got a dozen forum users posting.  They were really chomping at the bit after more than 24 hours offline.  It's nice to know the forum is missed.  ;D

I will wait a while to investigate some of the corners of the forum to be sure it's all working well before I have a drink to celebrate, but so far everything looks good.  What a relief!

I want to extend a huge, sincere thanks to all the folks here who helped me resolve this little crisis, especially Illori, Yoshi2889, and Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen.  You were great (and I know it's not always easy to provide this kind of support).

I have a very active forum with a lot of very passionate users who rely on me, and ultimately we rely on you.  Many, many thanks again for all your help!

If I find anything that needs further work, I will post later (for now, I need a rest).  But for now, I'm marking this one "Solved."  Great work everyone, and thanks again.

NanoSector

Glad your forum works fine!

There should be no to minor problems. Post anything weird in the Bug Reports board, if you are unsure that it is a bug just post in 2.x Support :)
Or, 'course, this topic :P

Advertisement: