News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stars have turned into blocks

Started by timetraveller, October 10, 2011, 05:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timetraveller

The little stars denoting post count groups and admin/moderator status which are below the user name and above the avatar - on my forum a few people reported seeing these as blocks. I was seeing them all as stars this morning, but now I'm seeing them as blocks too. In the membergroups admin section the image name is star*.gif with * dependent on the group, just as it was when I looked this morning. Any clues?

Illori

in 2.0 the stars were replaced with blocks but you can change it to whatever you want, just edit the group and put in the name of the image you want to use that is in your themes images folder.

timetraveller

The image names in the membergroup edit pages are the star names - star.gif, staradmin.gif, stargmod.gif and starmod.gif - but all are previewing as blocks now, whereas earlier today (after upgrading to SMF2.0.1 ) they had the same image file names but with star previews.

Some users are reporting they can see stars for some categories. Others are reporting they see blocks for all categories.

Illori

sounds like some users have different themes and that is why they see different images, because the images depend on the theme.

timetraveller

They're not allowed to set their themes (as far as I can recall). I will go and check :)

EDIT: Nope - that box is not checked.

Illori

are you sure they are using the default theme though? or the theme you set as default?

timetraveller

We are all using the default theme.

timetraveller

This morning some of users report their stars have changed to blocks. Others report their blocks have changed back to stars. It's like some little gremlin comes in and flicks all the switches for a bit of fun   :o  :laugh:

ApplianceJunk

Illori

if you are only using the default theme and no other theme, it is not possible for the stars and blocks to show at the same time as they should be replaced upon the upgrade as the new images have the same exact name as the old files from 1.1.1* unless you renamed them or added more at some point.

timetraveller

There are no bells and whistles at all at the moment. Just the default theme. I haven't touched any of the files except to go and look to see what was there. They are labelled as star-this and star-that but are you saying these are now blocks?
However, it doesn't alter the fact that some of us are seeing stars, some are seeing blocks, some are seeing a combination (admin still stars but everyone else blocks) and what we see seems to change periodically  :laugh:

Is it possible to get some star files and replace the ones I have (four of them I think) with some "proper" star ones?

Illori

the default theme in 2.0 does not come with stars they are blocks as you see in your posts, the only way to get the "stars" back is from the old 1.1.1* themes or the core theme, and replace the current ones with those.

timetraveller

Updating .. I've installed a new colour theme and the blocks have changed colour too   ;D Ideally I'd like to get my stars back - they're less intrusive so can someone point me in the direction of some star gifs which I presumable can just ftp over the existing ones (which say star.gif etc. but which are producing blocks).

MrPhil

If the "star" and "block" graphics have the same name, the reason some users would still be "seeing stars" is that their browsers have cached the image files. Eventually they'll be refreshed and all will see the same thing. You can replace the block graphics with stars (or anything else for that matter, such as crowns) by replacing the image files on your site. Just be careful that they're about the same size.

timetraveller

OK - that makes sense  :)

Are there any star image files available anywhere?

Illori

in the core theme there are some as i stated above

timetraveller

OK - (forgive newbie question here) - so find a SMF 1.x.x. version. Download onto my PC. Dig out the star files. Upload into wherever it was they are ( I will be able to find that bit)  - then bin the rest of the SMF 1.x.x. download?

Advertisement: