News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF + Gallery2

Started by Oldiesmann, August 19, 2005, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ride

I've been wanting to move to gallery2 for a while now.  I can't wait!

Neol

Why Gallery2 is better than Coppermine?  ::)

trenchteam

I dont know, but I'd love this!  Im running beta now! ;D

Nitro

i would love to test this one as well.

thank you!!!

where do i get it?
MPF Rocks!!!

scrawl

Zarabadoo

I think he means he is running the Gallery 2 beta. not the integration.

trenchteam

yeah, thats what I meant.  I want the integration as badly as everyone else here ;)

Oldiesmann

Gallery2 can be downloaded at http://codex.gallery2.org - if you need help installing it, let me know.

I will take a look at the code and see why it's giving you that error message. It really shouldn't be doing that - it should automatically create your group if it doesn't exist.

I have been pretty busy the past week with other SMF-related things (upgraded two boards [including re-designing the look of one of them], am going to upgrade a third one tomorrow, then have to help someone transfer their site to another server), so hopefully I'll be able to get this out within the next week or so.

As for why Gallery2 is better than Coppermine:
Sub-albums
Gallery is displayed right inside SMF, so you don't have to leave the comfort of your board to manage your gallery
Access rights can be set on a per-album basis (can also be set globally - for an entire group or for a specific user)
User albums are not seperate from the other albums
Ability to assign owners to specific albums
Many "modules" allowing you to add or remove features with only a few clicks
Much much more
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dtm.exe

Oldiesmann

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on August 30, 2005, 10:39:27 PM
Quote from: olti on August 25, 2005, 06:32:03 PM
Why Gallery2 is better than Coppermine?  ::)

It's not, IMO.

Quit spamming :P

I am a bit curious as to why you think Coppermine is better though...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

1MileCrash

never tried Gallery. Coppermine was waaaay too complicated for a gallery, so i just built a page with pictures and called it a gallery  :)
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

dtm.exe

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 30, 2005, 10:44:18 PM
I am a bit curious as to why you think Coppermine is better though...

I like the layout more.  More options and settings too, IIRC.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Tippmaster on August 30, 2005, 10:45:44 PM
never tried Gallery. Coppermine was waaaay too complicated for a gallery, so i just built a page with pictures and called it a gallery  :)

If you think Coppermine is complicated, you won't like Gallery. It's a lot more complex.

Dan - have you even looked at Gallery2? Gallery2 has a lot more options and settings than Coppermine...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dtm.exe

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 30, 2005, 10:51:38 PM
Dan - have you even looked at Gallery2? Gallery2 has a lot more options and settings than Coppermine...

No, but I don't really like the layout of it.

Ray™

Getting The page cannot be displayed error when I try to go to http://codex.gallery2.org  Is their a problem with the site or is it just me??
arcade-Only (over 800 Games)
http://www.arcade-only.com
Hand Made Ceramics
http://cbr.rranderson.com

tentronik

I think even Galleryv1 is very kewl i dont know v2 yet, but its besides the requirements an alternative to coppermine.

Oldiesmann

Gallery2 is a major improvement over the original Gallery, so you should love it. It's a lot bigger and more complex than Coppermine, but it's quite powerful.

As for where to download it - it seems they've changed the URL again... It can now be found at http://www.absolve.com/Gallery2Download - Gallery2 Codex.htm
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

trenchteam

Is the integration in the forseeable future?  Im really waiting for this one!  I have users who take photos for our forums, and would love to allow certain users to post their photos online for us. ;D

Neol

Oldiesmann, is there possible to convert from Coppermine to Gallery2? I want to convert my CPG and to use your G2 integration to SMF!

Oldiesmann

Quote from: trenchteam on September 01, 2005, 06:38:28 AM
Is the integration in the forseeable future?  Im really waiting for this one!  I have users who take photos for our forums, and would love to allow certain users to post their photos online for us. ;D

Yes. It should be available for beta testing within the next couple of weeks, and the first stable version should be available within a month or two depending on how beta testing goes and how much time I have to work on things.

Quote from: olti on September 06, 2005, 07:04:00 AM
Oldiesmann, is there possible to convert from Coppermine to Gallery2? I want to convert my CPG and to use your G2 integration to SMF!

You might be able to go from a standalone Coppermine to a standalone Gallery2 (I don't remember), but converting from Coppermine to the Gallery2 integration will require additional work for the members. Unlike the Coppermine bridge, which simply relies on SMF's members table, the Gallery2 integration will create a seperate gallery account for each user, then link each user account in Gallery with that user's account in SMF. Once I get a stable version of the integration released, I'll work on creating something to convert from Coppermine. There will also be more options available for Gallery2 once the final version of that comes out - it's currently at RC2 (codename "kthxby" - I can explain what that means if you can't figure it out...).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: