News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Automatic Newsletter for SMF2

Started by HoverClub, March 31, 2012, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoverClub

Quote from: luuuciano on September 30, 2012, 01:09:46 PM
This continue being that way? we have to put the global forum compression off, to have the newsletter one working?
I mean, there is no workaround? it is nice to have compression on the forum and not just on newsletters, lol

No fix yet - if you see the problem it's because your web server is already compressing the output.  Setting compression off in SMF will actually make page loads faster in this case as it will remove the unnecessary compression.

luuuciano

But it is compresing it because SMF admin tell it to... or not?
And that is good, we want to use compression on a smf forum... what it is better, to use compression on the whole smf forum or just on the newsletter function?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

HoverClub

HTTP compression is almost certainly already being be done by your web server at the request of the browser accessing your page (ALL browsers request compressed data).  Turn off SMF compression and test it HERE).  Double compressing the data just wastes both server and client processing time.

This issue seems to be that the SMF email code is compressing the HTML included in the newsletter - most email clients can't then handle it.  SMF does check whether zlib enableCompressedOutput is enabled and won't double compress if it is,  However, even if enableCompressedOutput is disabled, the web server STILL compresses data (at least it does on the servers I've checked).

ben sisko

hello,
what should i change to the modification to get in the newsletter the icons of the OP (original post) instead of the icons of the reply?
thanks

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: A.SK on August 31, 2012, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: A.SK on July 23, 2012, 12:56:15 PM
Newsletter from the My Forum Name received in my mailbox only for the first time.

I have installed the mod on 1st july 2012 and selected weekly option for the newsletter.

Received the 1st newsletter only on 7th july 2012.

2nd newsletter not received to any subscribers - 15 july 2012

3rd newsletter not received to any subscribers - 22 july 2012

Now the forum is showing the next newsletter due on 29 july 2012

19 people are subscribed

Preview newsletter button had not showed the preview even once from the day of install.

Kindly assist admin.

Still my problem exist admin. Even yesterday it showed next newsletter on 30th aug. But no mails in my inbox. In schedule everything including newsletter is properly send on time and i notice a log there also.

Kindly assist. 59 people are subscribed and also preview shows empty error page.

Dear Admin,

Any update for me. Now 80 subscribers . But none got the newsletter.  ???
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

HoverClub

What newsletter mod settings are you using?

What are your mail settings?

Does the scheduled task log show the newsletter task completing?

Have you disabled SMF compression?

If nothing is showing in the preview then either compression is enabled OR there is nothing selected to include in the newsletter.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: HoverClub on October 07, 2012, 04:25:39 AM
What newsletter mod settings are you using?

What are your mail settings?

Does the scheduled task log show the newsletter task completing?

Have you disabled SMF compression?

If nothing is showing in the preview then either compression is enabled OR there is nothing selected to include in the newsletter.

Hi Admin,

I have mail settings enabled and am getting reigstrations, birthday reminders properly except newsletter.

Scheduled task log is showing as completed for every day.

SMF compression is enabled in my forum - also will it not create any problem if i disable it throughout the forum.

All options have been selected. Am afraid to disable compression.

Check all screenshots and give me your feedback.

HoverClub

Disable compression as specified in the mod and discussed in this thread.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: HoverClub on October 09, 2012, 07:31:55 AM
Disable compression as specified in the mod and discussed in this thread.

Dear Admin,

Once i have posted here, i had read about compression and gzip. And tried disabling it. And saw the preview was working perfectly.

Also i think the email newsletter will work. But found simplemachines and hoverclub were using compression enabled.
http://www.whatsmyip.org/http-compression-test/?url=aHR0cDovL2hvdmVyY2x1Yi5vcmcudWsv
http://www.whatsmyip.org/http-compression-test/?url=aHR0cDovL3NpbXBsZW1hY2hpbmVzLm9yZy9jb21tdW5pdHkv

Also my dedicated server load had increased more than 50% after disabling the compression.

Server configurations :
Pro Dedicated Server
Intel Xeon 5506 (Quad Core)
8 GB DDR2 Memory
2 X 500 GB Hard Drives
2,000 GB Bandwidth

So again enabled compression to reduce server load.

I have a quick question, how come hoverclub was running perfectly without disabling compression . ( kindly do not think am pointing your, just asking your suggestions ).

HoverClub

The hoverclub site doesn't have SMF compression enabled - it also doesn't have PHP zlib.output_compression active.  But, as you can see, the HTML is still being compressed - as  I said before, the only reason I can find is that browsers are requesting compressed data and the server complies whatever the settings may say.  If your server load has really increased by 50% when disabling SMF compression then there is some other issue.

InsaneMustang

Any way to force this option to ON for all members.  I see this like an email that could help get inactive members back.

ben sisko

Quote from: ben sisko on October 05, 2012, 05:28:10 AM
hello,
what should i change to the modification to get in the newsletter the icons of the OP (original post) instead of the icons of the reply?
thanks
any word for me? thx.

HoverClub

Quote from: ben sisko on October 11, 2012, 05:38:58 AM
Quote from: ben sisko on October 05, 2012, 05:28:10 AM
hello,
thanks
any word for me? thx.
You'll need to change the SQL query in Subs-Newsletter.php.  Quite a complicated change to the query would be required!

Gryzor

Hello!

Useful mod!

Any way to make it have a "daily" option as well?

Thanks!
T

HoverClub

Thanks,

Could be daily but members can already sign up (notifications) for a daily digest so unless there are loads of new calendar events (without posts)  every week then I can't see the benefit (unless I've missing something?).

Gryzor

Ahhh I think you're right! I've never used the daily digest option, I'm not sure about where to even find it to be frank, but I think you're right.

Btw, one thing the mod could use some improvement on would be the looks of it, maybe you could imitate the forum's look with tables or something? Very basic, you know, nothing fancy...

HoverClub

Quote from: Gryzor on October 22, 2012, 08:41:00 AM
Ahhh I think you're right! I've never used the daily digest option, I'm not sure about where to even find it to be frank, but I think you're right.

Btw, one thing the mod could use some improvement on would be the looks of it, maybe you could imitate the forum's look with tables or something? Very basic, you know, nothing fancy...

Check profile->notifications for the daily digest.

You can style the newsletter however you wish by editing the language string newsltr_email_style - it's a simple table format.

Gryzor

Quote from: HoverClub on October 22, 2012, 09:07:58 AM

Check profile->notifications for the daily digest.

You can style the newsletter however you wish by editing the language string newsltr_email_style - it's a simple table format.

Well, I think the digest there doesn't work quite the same way - I mean, you have to actually subscribe to different boards first, but also I'm not sure it works as intended (you have to disable Instant notifications because it takes precedence, for instance?).

As for the newsletter format, fantastic, I'll take a look :)

InsaneMustang

Quote from: InsaneMustang on October 09, 2012, 11:53:33 AM
Any way to force this option to ON for all members.  I see this like an email that could help get inactive members back.

Repost!

luuuciano

Quote from: HoverClub on October 22, 2012, 08:25:00 AM
Thanks,

Could be daily but members can already sign up (notifications) for a daily digest so unless there are loads of new calendar events (without posts)  every week then I can't see the benefit (unless I've missing something?).

You mean notification on new replies/posts? members using that option will receive an email every new thing they had...
But using a daily newsletter option they will receive just one daily digest, about new topics, etc...
Or... people is a bit silly, and do not set ups notifications... with daily digests they have another option to use... they may use the one they prefer

(maybe Im missing something)

BTW, one question... subscribed users can change they settings somewhere? (weekly, fortnightly, etc)

BTW2, It could be implemented an option to include a random news fade item, instead always the latest one?
(we have quotes inthere)

BTW3, where to touch to change the topic image, to the user avatar? it would be nicer that way

BTW4, where to touch to send only new topics, instead new messages (replies on topics) + new topics?

I will be sharing the spanish language strings later! :) ADDED
you can use it on spanish and spanish_latin too

The option Include all boards is inside "Don't include topics from these boards"... it is a bit confusing

$txt['newsubscribe_mod_title'] = 'Newsletter ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_subscribe'] = 'Suscribirse';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_subscribed'] = ' miembros suscriptos';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_unsubscribe'] = 'Desuscribirse';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_preview'] = 'Previsualizar Newsletter';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_email'] = 'Dirección de email: ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_week'] = '  Semanal';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_fort'] = '  Quincenal';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_month'] = '  Mensual';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_noemail'] = 'Lo siento, pero la dirección de email no ha sido encontrada en el listado de suscripciones. Por favor, inténtelo nuevamente. ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_bademail'] = 'Lo siento, pero esa no parece ser una dirección de email válida. Por favor, inténtelo nuevamente. ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_donesub'] = 'Se ha suscripto a ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_doneunsub'] = 'No continuará recibiendo el ';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_done'] = 'Volver';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_next'] = '  - próximo el ';

$txt['newsltr_news'] = 'Incluir el último ítem de Noticia:<br /><span class= "smalltext">No es necesario que el bloque de Noticias esté activado para incluirla.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_events'] = 'Incluir eventos del calendario:<br /><span class= "smalltext">El calendario debe estar activado - el número máximo de eventos incluídos se configura en el ítem <i>Máximo días de antelación en el índice de foros</i> en la Configuración del calendario.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_topic_count'] = 'Número de títulos de temas/enlaces a incluir (máx. 50):<br /><span class= "smalltext">Configurar a 0, o dejar en blanco, si no quiere que sean incluídos temas para nada.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_position'] = 'Posición de la opción de suscripción en la página:<br /><span class= "smalltext">Si lo selecciona los botones de suscripción/desuscripción se ubicarán debajo del listado de foros, si lo deja deseleccionado aparecerán arriba del listado.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_stats'] = 'Incluir estadísticas del foro:<br /><span class= "smalltext">Incluye el total de mensajes, temas y cantidad de miembros.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_allow_guest'] = 'Permitir a los invitados suscribirse';
$txt['newsltr_use_perms'] = 'Usar permisos de invitados:<br /><span class= "smalltext">Si está seleccionado el newsletter incluirá sólo títulos de temas que los visitantes tengan permiso para ver - Si se lo deja deseleccionado podrá incluir enlaces a temas que los invitados no puedan ver completamente.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_exclude_boards'] = 'No incluir temas de estos foros:<br /><span class= "smalltext">Utilice tecla Ctrl o Shift para seleccionar múltiples foros.</span>';
$txt['newsltr_includeall'] = 'Incluir todos los foros';
$txt['newsubscribe_mod_delmail'] = 'Borrar receptor del newsletter.';

// email text
$txt['newsltr_email_header'] = 'Newsletter desde %s';
$txt['newsltr_email_unsub'] = '<div class="smalltext">Para desuscribirse de este newsletter <a href="'. $scripturl . '?action=NewsSubscribe;unsubscribe;email=%s">utilice este enlace</a></div>';
$txt['newsltr_email_news'] = 'Últimas noticias:';
$txt['newsltr_email_posts'] = 'Últimos temas:';
$txt['newsltr_email_events'] = 'Eventos próximos:';
$txt['newsltr_email_style'] = '#content{padding-left: 20px; text-align:center; margin: 0 auto; font: 78%/130% "Verdana","Arial","Helvetica",sans-serif; color: #444444; empty-cells: show;} table { width:100%;border-bottom: 1px solid #FFFFFF;border-right: 1px solid #fff; font-size: 0.95em; padding: 3px; } thead { background: #a7b9cd; color: #ffffff; } .subject { background-color: #F0F4F7;color: #000000;} .smalltext { font-size: 0.9em;} .icon { text-align: center; background-color: #E7EAEF; }.date { background-color: #F0F4F7; color:green;}td { padding: 3px;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff; border-right: 1px solid #fff;} h2 { margin-bottom: 0px;}';
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Advertisement: