News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.50

Started by movierchives, July 17, 2012, 01:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

Quote from: Fustrate on August 06, 2012, 10:51:24 AM
Quote from: Sorck on August 06, 2012, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Fustrate on August 03, 2012, 12:43:00 AM
Quote from: Arantor on July 17, 2012, 06:54:56 PM
SMF 3.0 on the other hand, it going to be at least a couple of years away before the same point.

Although the pace is picking up drastically!
smCore is going to take a while regardless as at the moment it's not even stable enough to show a 404 error page. :P (the permissions/roles database tables aren't in the SMF3 db dump).

Off topic: Might be a good idea to try and put a database dump up on the smCore github page - I had to work out the structure for a couple of tables from the source code.

There is no SMF3 database dump anymore, you might be looking at Norv's old version. Once I add an smCore database dump, it's stable enough to show a home page, 404, 403, all that jazz. I'm not too worried about adding one right now, though, because then people might try to use it :P

My dev copy sports a change in smCore\storage\Rolls so it lets me actually test things (e.g. the file cache) Maybe put a database dump up on smcore.org or somewhere like that? I'm sure if the code and database are in different places nobody will accidentally use it in a non-development/curiosity area... :P

I'm going to have to work out how to sign things off through Git. :P

Fustrate

git commit -s, or look for an option in your GUI if you're using one. I have Tower set up to sign off any commits I make.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

movierchives

Is this, the main site not used for development anymore ?

Kindred

what do you mean?   We have never released development releases on this site.

Simplemachines.org is the main site for distribution, support and customization of SMF.
The GIT repository is the new, open codebase so that
a) people who know what they are doing can get copies of the code and debug things during development
b) people outside of the development team can actually contribute code for bugfixes and enhancements. (although not all code will actually be accepted into the trunk)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movierchives

I thought SMF 2 was live here while it was being developed

live627

Quote from: movierchives on August 08, 2012, 06:03:52 PM
SMF 2.1 is not ready for live deployment yet, although IIRC it's getting close.

Kindred

Version 2.0.2 IS in use on this forum, and is available for download. Version 2.1 is not yet ready for deployment...   
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

Quote from: movierchives on August 08, 2012, 06:03:52 PM

It was live here during part of the development phase, but not during the "alpha" stage (which is where SMF 2.1 is at right now), and the source code wasn't available to everyone until the first public beta (which I believe was around Beta 3 for SMF 2.0).

SMF 2.1 will be installed here once we feel it's stable enough to do so. With lots of changes being made right now, it's just not a good time to install 2.1 here.

In short, SMF is a lot more open now than it ever has been in the past. You can see what we're working on and see what changes we're making as they're made. In the past you had to wait until we told you what we'd done and/or released something to the public.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

movierchives

I was sure 2 was live here in Alpha although I never tried it until beta.  TBH the beta length put me right off them

emanuele

AFAICS from the internet archive, sm.org has always used a development version of the code since the very beginning. Though things are a bit different now (for example we are using SimpleDesk and in order to use a development release we need to make sure SD works with the code we are working on), additionally the only team member of the site team is currently on-hiatus, so we cannot (and I would not...and I'm pretty sure many other (like someone with a dark avatar :P) people would not) force a potentially insecure release on the site without being sure we can fix any issue we find timely.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: