SMF 2.50

Started by movierchives, July 17, 2012, 01:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movierchives

I was led to believe  things were going to be sped up after the long, long, long...........very long..................time frame of the SMF 2.0 development.  Now we were told sometime ago there would be a SMF 2.50 before any 3.0 so I'm wondering if this has even been started because this very forum was used to develop 2.0 from alpha?

Suki

Please see:  https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1

On that page you can track all the activity, commits, changes and even discussions, you can also freely participate on the development process, you only need to know how to use git.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

I don't know where you ever heard the use of 2.5

However, even aside form the github repository, there is a post in the developers blog that talks all about it
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=469381.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteI don't know where you ever heard the use of 2.5

This isn't Joomla, heh ;)

Thing to be aware of is that even with all the work that's gone on, there is still going to be a beta testing period and it's still going to be in the order of months rather than weeks for that period to occur.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movierchives

I'm sure I read there was going to be a major update of SMF 2 before SMF 3 ?

Arantor

Yes, there is, it's called SMF 2.1 as per the linked stuff above. But it's still going to be several months away before a 'gold' release.

SMF 3.0 on the other hand, it going to be at least a couple of years away before the same point.

Ricky.

Quote from: MusicBold on August 01, 2012, 08:33:15 AM
frame of the SMF 2.0 development are going wrong!
And what do you mean by that ?

Orangine

a spam frame I presume

Fustrate

Quote from: Arantor on July 17, 2012, 06:54:56 PM
SMF 3.0 on the other hand, it going to be at least a couple of years away before the same point.

Although the pace is picking up drastically!
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Arantor

*shrug* However fast you move, it's still realistically going to be a couple of years to have smCore AND the forum module at a really usable/stable point.

.Vapor

Couple of "YEARS" ???

Why does smf move so slowly? Your being passed by phpbb in terms of delivery....and that is pretty sad.

Arantor

Yes, it does take a couple of years to completely write something from *scratch* which is what smCore/SMF 3.0 is - it's not just an incremental change.

How long did phpBB 3.0 to make compared to phpBB 2.0 for example?

Also, you should be aware that there have been multiple turn-overs of developmental staff as well.

Oh, and two years for volunteers who do have other things to do in their lives is really not a huge amount of time.

(I suspect you have no idea how long development of these things actually takes.)

Trekkie101

Quote from: V@por on August 04, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
Couple of "YEARS" ???

Why does smf move so slowly? Your being passed by phpbb in terms of delivery....and that is pretty sad.

Feature wise I feel we hold up to phpBB, only now are they showing potential, but 2.1 will in turn counter that ;)

Arantor

Considering that SMF hasn't added any major features in several years it is certainly a testament to phpBB's feature set that they're only just now catching up, yes.

But there is still a point to be made here... XenForo is only a couple of years old too.

青山 素子

Quote from: Arantor on August 04, 2012, 06:21:10 PM
But there is still a point to be made here... XenForo is only a couple of years old too.

That's a paid software being made by developers as their full time job. SMF really can't compete with that given how small a development team there has been and with the churn as well.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Arantor

I'm well aware of that fact. Just saying that the entire forum industry has moved on a generation.

The churn has been the real killer however.

Fustrate

* Fustrate only churns butter
Steven Hoffman

Sorck

Quote from: Fustrate on August 03, 2012, 12:43:00 AM

smCore is going to take a while regardless as at the moment it's not even stable enough to show a 404 error page. :P (the permissions/roles database tables aren't in the SMF3 db dump).

Off topic: Might be a good idea to try and put a database dump up on the smCore github page - I had to work out the structure for a couple of tables from the source code.

Quote from: Arantor on August 04, 2012, 11:03:35 PM
I'm well aware of that fact. Just saying that the entire forum industry has moved on a generation.
Personal results and 'news feeds' are becoming more popular and might be things for those working on smCore, SMF3 and other projects to consider? I think I saw a thread mentioning this somewhere either in Future SMF Discussion or on smCore.org

Fustrate

Quote from: Sorck on August 06, 2012, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Fustrate on August 03, 2012, 12:43:00 AM

smCore is going to take a while regardless as at the moment it's not even stable enough to show a 404 error page. :P (the permissions/roles database tables aren't in the SMF3 db dump).

Off topic: Might be a good idea to try and put a database dump up on the smCore github page - I had to work out the structure for a couple of tables from the source code.

There is no SMF3 database dump anymore, you might be looking at Norv's old version. Once I add an smCore database dump, it's stable enough to show a home page, 404, 403, all that jazz. I'm not too worried about adding one right now, though, because then people might try to use it :P
Steven Hoffman

Advertisement: