News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Default PM layout

Started by Daktyl198, March 25, 2013, 02:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daktyl198

I think that the default layout (and maybe even the only layout for the sake of simplicity and code-cleanup) for the private messaging system in 2.1+ should be "as a conversation". It keeps the messages MUCH more organized and easier to keep track of.
The conversation with the newest reply should always go at the top...

Also, there should be a reply box at the end of the conversation page so that the user doesn't have to load an entirely new page just to reply to the conversation.

shadow82x

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Shambles

I think that the default layout ... for the private messaging system in 2.1+ should be "as a conversation". It keeps the messages MUCH more organized and easier to keep track of.
How can you say that? The layout is very much a subjective matter which is why the choice is available; I prefer "one at a time", as it happens.

Chalky

I can't stand the conversation view...

kat

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Don't forget conversation view is no real use without the sent messages being saved... which by default, they are not.

Irisado

There's nothing wrong with the current default PM system in my opinion.

Assuming conversation view is akin to that which is used by certain webmail providers, I find that difficult to follow, and would not like to see it implemented by default. 
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

It's available in the core and has been for years... but right now 'all at once' is the default, which is even worse, IMNSHO.

Irisado

A list of all your messages in order whereby you click to read each one seems like the simplest, and most logical, way to handle PMs by default.  What am I missing?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

Tying a sequence of messages together. Very often there will be back-and-forth between people, and having that entire sequence put together is actually advantageous.

Irisado

I just find that unnecessary.  It's easy to keep track of replies, and conversations, for me at least, without having to link them together.  By all means have it as a mod, I'm sure someone has already made one anyway, but as default, I just don't think that it's warranted.

Arantor

I will say it again, then. It is a feature of SMF and has been for years.

emanuele

I was preparing a question, but you already answered, so I'll just post a comment.

I find difficult to follow any kind of PM discussion that doesn't use conversation mode: all the PM staked in a line with no connection whatsoever, if I receive a PM related to something "we" were discussing months ago I would have to dig into the inbox looking for the previous PM and my PMs are instead in the outbox, so I have no way to follow the flow of the full discussion, but I have to guess what I answered unless the one I was discussing with quoted my entire PM or at least a good portion of it, etc.

I find conversation mode the most effective and any other way rather confusing...

ETA: TBH, change the default way was one of he things I was considering for 2.1 (including save own PMs by default).

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Irisado

Quote from: Arantor on March 25, 2013, 12:48:12 PM
I will say it again, then. It is a feature of SMF and has been for years.

So it is, you're correct.  When you said core, I thought that you meant SMF Core, rather than SMF 2.0 for some reason.

In that case, the OP's question seems relatively redundant to me.

Quote from: emanuele on March 25, 2013, 12:50:32 PM
I was preparing a question, but you already answered, so I'll just post a comment.

I find difficult to follow any kind of PM discussion that doesn't use conversation mode: all the PM staked in a line with no connection whatsoever, if I receive a PM related to something "we" were discussing months ago I would have to dig into the inbox looking for the previous PM and my PMs are instead in the outbox, so I have no way to follow the flow of the full discussion, but I have to guess what I answered unless the one I was discussing with quoted my entire PM or at least a good portion of it, etc.

I find conversation mode the most effective and any other way rather confusing...

ETA: TBH, change the default way was one of he things I was considering for 2.1 (including save own PMs by default).

I wouldn't mind PMs being saved by default, and having to uncheck the label to change it.

As for the rest, I'll blame your preference on conversation on your Italian nationality :P ;).

Arantor

FWIW, in Wedge I just saved them anyway. There's none of this 'save to outbox by default' or changeable behaviour, it just saves them all the time regardless, and there's no option. I did also make the default 'one at a time' rather than 'all at once' but I keep meaning to overhaul it not to show PMs unless you've actually selected one.

emanuele

Yeah, I was considering that too: list of PMs as default (a la gmail) and then click on one => brings to the conversation. That would allow to keep the first conversation unread. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Antechinus

Gotta say that conversaton mode totally effin rocks, and in fact I'd go so far as to say it's the only feature in 2.0.x that I think is a big advantage over 1.1.x. The rest I can take or leave, but I love conversation mode for PM's.

Daktyl198

If you don't make conversation mode default in 2.1, could you at least add an option to choose the default PM layout for the entire forum? I know for a fact that 95% of my users would rather use the conversation layout, but they don't snoop around and so don't know how to change it (or for some, that it even exists).

live627

Dude, check PM settings. Not hard to see the tab unless you're blind!

Advertisement: