News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Tabbed Categories

Started by NanoSector, June 16, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSector

I might make a more flexible paid option, just no idea what to put into it except styles.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

luuuciano

Just for the record, we have recently reinstalled our forum and I had to add the noconflict changes reported here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505957.msg3626714#msg3626714 again.

From
//
$(document).ready(function ()

to
//
jQuery.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function ($)

A question.... for less than a second we see the categories untabbed (one below the other one, like when you do not load jquery), and then *magic* they are tabbed (that section is "redrawed")...
The thing is that it looks a bit clunky (or something else, do not know wich word to use)

There is no way to avoid that?

edit: BTW, I have to try the easytabs version yet! :-)
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

SaltedWeb

Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 03:46:31 AM
I might make a more flexible paid option, just no idea what to put into it except styles.

The item is good as it is, Hmmm, maybe if a person could change the button type and color, maybe even font.
Probably would make it less compatible with more modifications, more added the more can go wrong. lol
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

NanoSector

Quote from: luuuciano on August 06, 2014, 07:39:55 AM
Just for the record, we have recently reinstalled our forum and I had to add the noconflict changes reported here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505957.msg3626714#msg3626714 again.

From
//
$(document).ready(function ()

to
//
jQuery.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function ($)

A question.... for less than a second we see the categories untabbed (one below the other one, like when you do not load jquery), and then *magic* they are tabbed (that section is "redrawed")...
The thing is that it looks a bit clunky (or something else, do not know wich word to use)

There is no way to avoid that?

edit: BTW, I have to try the easytabs version yet! :-)
Since version 0.1.3 the mod should no longer create conflicts. :)

There is no way to avoid the redraw of the content; the mod waits for the DOM to be ready before modifying anything. This is to avoid errors which prevent the mod from working at all. :)

Quote from: Diamondcomputer on August 06, 2014, 08:34:23 AM
The item is good as it is, Hmmm, maybe if a person could change the button type and color, maybe even font.
Probably would make it less compatible with more modifications, more added the more can go wrong. lol
Well this is not overly difficult to achieve already, it's a matter of modifying CSS files. The EasyTabs package around page 6/7 (search for the latest one) has support for styles, which makes life easier.

ETA: You know what, I'll attach a fixed version here and on the main page.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

elf_fu

Sorry for taking so long! Last night my UPS battery died, so this morning I had to plug the router/modem directly into plug (I live in Florida, where surges and power outages happen way too frequently during the day.) So my computer is down, but my husband's isn't--so I have access to everything to back up here.

So I backed up my original BoardIndex.template.php and my sources/BoardIndex.php and went ahead. I replaced my BoardIndex.template.php with the one you so generously proviced Nano, and went ahead and installed the mod ignoring the Back n' Black errors. Then I cleared out cache and viewed my front page to see...

Nothing. My site works just fine! But, there's no tabs on Back n' Black, but there ARE tabs if I switch (admin access only) to Curved theme.

I'm pretty much unsure as to what to do now. But at least my forums not broken and it does work on a theme! Just...not the one I'm using and everyone can see xD

If there's any info I can provide to further help those helping me, let me know! I've attached screen shots of my Curve theme and Back n' black

GR

NanoSector

Can you provide a link to your site please?
ETA: Found it, Google-fu does wonders. Hang on for a moment (and don't get a power outage :D)

ETA2: Did you apply the Boardindex.template.php to the correct theme? The changes seem to have not been made.

elf_fu

Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 10:47:02 AM
Can you provide a link to your site please?
ETA: Found it, Google-fu does wonders. Hang on for a moment (and don't get a power outage<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />)

ETA2: Did you apply the Boardindex.template.php to the correct theme? The changes seem to have not been made.

Sorry about forgetting the link! Just for ease of use: gr.2phatgeeks.com

I just re-downloaded the file you provided to make double sure, and copied it over in themes/Back n' Black. Cleared cache again. No change?

GR

NanoSector

Would you mind providing me with FTP details to your site? Please read this beforehand: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0
Send me a PM if you agree :)

elf_fu

Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 11:00:52 AM
Would you mind providing me with FTP details to your site? Please read this beforehand: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0
Send me a PM if you agree<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

Please forgive me for this question if it seems rude: but can your provide some links to topics or replies where you've accessed other users FTP's, or web work you've done that just kinda shows me that you're a cool bean in that area?

It's not like I think you're an axe murdering baby eater, but I just (like most web admins) want to make sure before I send any private info like that! Apologies, and thank you!

Edited to add: You're kinda already a cool bean for helping me out like this. But you know. Words. I has them.

GR

Arantor

He's part of the official SMF team, he can be trusted. I'd give him my FTP details... if I ran FTP.

elf_fu

Quote from: ‽ on August 06, 2014, 11:04:07 AM
He's part of the official SMF team, he can be trusted. I'd give him my FTP details... if I ran FTP.

I'm epic-Picard-face-palming right now, as I just noticed the pip on his mini profile. Thank you!

I'll send the info via PM. And have more coffee.

GR

NanoSector

Quote from: elf_fu on August 06, 2014, 11:03:17 AM
Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 11:00:52 AM
Send me a PM if you agree<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

Please forgive me for this question if it seems rude: but can your provide some links to topics or replies where you've accessed other users FTP's, or web work you've done that just kinda shows me that you're a cool bean in that area?

It's not like I think you're an axe murdering baby eater, but I just (like most web admins) want to make sure before I send any private info like that! Apologies, and thank you!
I understand, and you have the full rights to ask as such :)

It's been a long while since I did support in FTP like this though, so the topics are buried somewhere deep. Though feel free to browse through my post history:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=messages;u=251953

Would it help if I gave you a cookie? :P

Arantor

I think anyone who's been on the team and asked for FTP details has been asked at least once for evidence of not going to abuse it, and I think it's a good thing to be sure before you give it out, generally.

elf_fu

A COOKIE?!
....What kind of cookie? Hmmmm, you tempty tempter you. (Info, I hope, already sent!)

GR

NanoSector

You should be all set! :)

I created a backup of your BoardIndex.template.php before I started modifying it, it has php-backup at the end.

elf_fu

Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 11:17:46 AM
You should be all set!<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

I created a backup of your BoardIndex.template.php before I started modifying it, it has php-backup at the end.

...My god...it's full of Tabs!

THANK YOU very, very much! It looks over 8000% better already. I appreciate the work you did to fix this so I can use your mod! I hope someday I can pass the good deed on! WOOHOO! YaY!

Edit of Shame (Like Cone of Shame. Only an Edit): Guess who has two thumbs and absolutely no idea how to edit the tabs to match my theme?
THIS GAL!  :laugh: Is there a css file somewhere? Do I add something to my themes/backnblack/index.css? Do I buy someone a beer?

GR

NanoSector

Quote from: elf_fu on August 06, 2014, 11:20:07 AM
Edit of Shame (Like Cone of Shame. Only an Edit): Guess who has two thumbs and absolutely no idea how to edit the tabs to match my theme?
THIS GAL!  :laugh: Is there a css file somewhere? Do I add something to my themes/backnblack/index.css? Do I buy someone a beer?
You can override the style applied, the EasyTabs version in beta has style functionality built in.

elf_fu

Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 06:45:54 PM
THIS GAL! <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" /> Is there a css file somewhere? Do I add something to my themes/backnblack/index.css? Do I buy someone a beer?
You can override the style applied, the EasyTabs version in beta has style functionality built in.

I tried using Firebug/Inspect element to figure out what class the tabs/border might be. To override them, would I basically place the (Horrible example, let's pretend these are real classes I found):
{
.awesometabsul, .wtfamidoingtabs,
stuff-color: #here;
}
At the bottom of my theme's index.css to start styling them? Do I copy instead, the css from ui.css it's linked to and start fiddling with that?

Would using EasyTabs version mean an unintall of the work you so wonderfully provided and a start over?

Am I annoying you yet? <3

Sorry for all of the beginner questions. I'm literally smashing my face into code I don't know anything about and trying to figure out whether I make a melody or a mess. Thank you again!

GR

NanoSector

Quote from: elf_fu on August 06, 2014, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: NanoSector on August 06, 2014, 06:45:54 PM
THIS GAL! <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" /> Is there a css file somewhere? Do I add something to my themes/backnblack/index.css? Do I buy someone a beer?

I tried using Firebug/Inspect element to figure out what class the tabs/border might be. To override them, would I basically place the (Horrible example, let's pretend these are real classes I found):
{
.awesometabsul, .wtfamidoingtabs,
stuff-color: #here;
}
At the bottom of my theme's index.css to start styling them? Do I copy instead, the css from ui.css it's linked to and start fiddling with that?
In BoardIndex.php I added a small snippet of CSS to make your font readable, you can add your code there. Note that that's applied in all themes, but if your members only see the black theme that shouldn't matter. :)

QuoteWould using EasyTabs version mean an unintall of the work you so wonderfully provided and a start over?
Unfortunately, yes.

QuoteAm I annoying you yet? <3
It's difficult to annoy me. :)

QuoteSorry for all of the beginner questions. I'm literally smashing my face into code I don't know anything about and trying to figure out whether I make a melody or a mess. Thank you again!
Much like this?

elf_fu

That .gif pretty much sums up everything about me when it comes to lrning 2 SMF, yes. Well, as we already know how well I could handle the installation of your original mod, Nano, so I believe I will have to follow your advice and break start finding that bit of css and experimenting.

Thank you for telling me where to look and how to start! And the LOLs!

GR

Advertisement: