Wordpress/SMF Bridge and yes, I've already used the search function

Started by Fabis94, July 30, 2013, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabis94

The thing is that none of the SMF/Wordpress bridges work for any of the new updates and from looking at topics made this year about this issue, the most common answer is just "Derp you can use SMF for everything, you don't need Wordpress" and I still haven't seen an answered topic about this issue.

No, I do need Wordpress. Wordpress has the skins I need, it has the plugins I need and works the way I need it to work - SMF doesn't.

So how can I integrate an SMF forum into Wordpress without too much work (using the latest versions for both Wordpress and SMF) so the user database is primarily stored in SMF and users can log in to Wordpress with their SMF credentials. I've checked pretty much any existing SMF to Wordpress plugin and they're all outdated. And please don't waste your time posting how " I don't need Wordpress anyway".

Kindred

Quote from: Fabis94 on July 30, 2013, 03:39:43 PM
So how can I integrate an SMF forum into Wordpress without too much work

Well, that would be the difficult thing, then....

and, FYI: I don't think that you actually need WordPress. :P

But seriously... what can you do in WordPress that you can't do in SMF these days?
You say you "need" the skins an the plugins.
SMF themes could be made to duplicate anything in WordPress... and I have yet to find a WordPress plugin that has not been done (or could not be done) in SMF.

So... I know you don't want to hear it.....   but why mess around with WordPress (which has a TERRIBLE user control system)?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

croboy

Quote from: Kindred on July 31, 2013, 07:40:16 AM
So how can I integrate an SMF forum into Wordpress without too much work

Well, that would be the difficult thing, then....

and, FYI: I don't think that you actually need WordPress. :P

But seriously... what can you do in WordPress that you can't do in SMF these days?
You say you "need" the skins an the plugins.
SMF themes could be made to duplicate anything in WordPress... and I have yet to find a WordPress plugin that has not been done (or could not be done) in SMF.

So... I know you don't want to hear it.....   but why mess around with WordPress (which has a TERRIBLE user control system)?

Sorry but your answer make no sense. Wordpress is great CMS and most used tool for blogs and web sites. It enables regular Joe to make great site with great features.
It is sad that you think different and don't think WP-SMF bridge is needed. SMF is forum tool and it will probably never will be CMS tool for web sites.
Your anwser is on level when someone says Drupal is better then Wordpress or Joomla.

Arantor

WordPress is not a great CMS, it is incredibly badly written and massively inefficient.

Seriously, SMF plus a portal will give you almost everything WP has, faster, more efficient (more users on the same server)...

A bridge is only needed if you think you have to keep the two systems together, when you can instead have a single system, that all has the same look and feel...

Kindred

Let's be clear..... I do use WordPress myself on 3 sites.

WordPress is NOT a great CMS.
I'll disagree with Arantor a bit.... WordPress is a decent enough Blog Software which has been expanded upon to do some site management....  but do not be confused. WordPress is no more of a CMS than SMF. Nearly anything you can do with WordPress can be done with SMF at this point.

Oh, and on your final comment... Drupal (as much as I dislike it personally) does have its strong points and is a better CMS than WordPress (considering that is what Drupal was designed to be...). I do prefer Joomla to Drupal myself...

What softare you use really depends on what the main focus of the site is going to be.
If you intend to blog with a little site management... then WordPress will work just fine.
If you intend to be a site system (articles, etc) with some other tack-ons, the Joomla (or Drupal) would be the way to go.
If you intend to be a forum community with a little site management... then SMF with one of the portal mods is your best choice

So - Figure out what the focus of your site is going to be and work "backward" from there.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

No, it really isn't decent. A fresh installation should not require 20 database queries to display the front page.

Kindred

you are correct about that.... but for a small, personal site, wordpress works acceptably well. :P

It even works well for a small org site like my dog association which gets only about less than 1000 hits per day.
Слaва
Украинi

Jim R

Or...there could be a bridge that allows WP users to use SMF with at least a single sign in option. 

I'm sure SMF has evolved over the last four years, and it was my first choice when I started my site.  However, when I went to a pay site with the intent of creating content, bringing in writers, etc, it became cumbersome.  Maybe I chose the wrong CMS in the mind of some, but lots of coding pros at Cha Cha, Yahoo, and Google said WordPress was the way to go.  I listened to them, even though I know we all have a great deal of pride in our own doings

The move to a CMS was mostly about tagging and categories, which SMF didn't have at the time, and newly formed CMS option was not nearly as robust or visually pleasing.  If it was, that wasn't presented very well at the time.  Perhaps this is where SMF has evolved.

I'd like to have a forum that gives me more control.  I started putting together my own set of pages, using my own create design templates, integrating SMF into those pages via SSI.  It's how I cut my teeth on PHP.  However, any time I wanted to add something new or change something, it was an ordeal.  Within WordPress, it's the click of my trackpad. 

And yes, the most correct answer is I'm still very much a PHP and CSS novice.  Hence my problem, I assume the smart guys around here could easily put together a bridge, and I know I'm not smart enough to do it.  Last time I approached this subject, it was said it was a licensing issue. 

I would be interested in seeing some sites created with SMF and portals, and I've yet to see anything (even though it's not my content site) that can duplicate this in SMF:

http://spieceindyheat.com/2015/

:)

Kindred

Well, since nothing on that site is even similar to a forum...   It's basically adjust static pages, which any portal mod can do.

Seriously...  See my post above...   Determine what the point of your site is and focus on the software that does that best.

Слaва
Украинi

Jim R

I noticed there are seven portal mods linked to SMF.  None of them remotely provide the aesthetics I want.  I even went through Simple Portal's forum and looked at their showcase posts.  Just not very attractive.

In answering the questions you posed about what type of site I want, I want a heavy writer content driven site with a good forum.  So both.  I already answered the Drupal, Joomla, WordPress question.  It's WordPress.  You'd think two free systems that have strong user bases could get together with a bridge. 

Kindred

I could make my SMF site do anything that my Wordpress site does or displays...
Слaва
Украинi

Jim R

I'm sure you can, but you're likely far more advance in the PHP/CSS department than most who are looking for solutions.  I doubt very much you could produce what I linked without hard coding something, maybe a lot.  I have two sites which are solely for my needs, where I do some hard coding to fit information in from my own data tables, but outside of messing around with CSS for padding/margins and color, my WordPress experience has been plug and play, successfully.

For my site, I'd like to have a good CMS and a more robust forum, and that may mean I finally buckle up and pay for something like IP Board, which will provide a single sign in and continued support should WP how it handles User logins.  However, they're in it for the money.  Their content system is much, much closer to fit my needs, but even in paying for it it doesn't come close to the functionality I can get in WordPress.

The WordPress people would say to use bbPress, that it does all one needs for a forum.  It doesn't.  Just as I can say SMF and phpBB don't have content systems as robust as WordPress, as I have found that not to be the case.  Not as easily formed, that's for sure.  If I'm wrong, show me an example.  I'd gladly consider that as an option, even pay a little for the system.  It doesn't do me any good that you can get SMF do anything your WordPress site can do.  I need it to do what my WordPress site does and as easily.

I'm serious about providing examples if you know of any, but it brings me back to the original issue.  It would seem for people who have the coding side down and believe in free and open solutions, there could be a bridge created between SMF and WordPress.  I bet people would pay a little for it. 

Suki

I'm not interested on this debate nor I'm interested on forcing you to use something neither. Just want to answer your question.

With that said, there are bridges, both here and in WP plugin site, have you tried those?

What exactly are you trying to achieve with a bridge?  user authentication? blog post and forum post interconnected?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Jim R

Agreed, I'm not really into the debate side of it short of providing context that we can preach the virtues of the systems we like, yet they still may not be enough to provide what we want.  I'm getting what I need and more so from WordPress.  I'd like to add a robust forum.

I've tried bridges on both sides, none have worked as WP and SMF have upgraded.  I'd like SMF to look over at the WordPress Users data table, see that someone is logged in, and recognize their User Role.  I'd still like the User to register on the WP side.

I don't really need cross posting from one venue to another, such as I don't need Comments on WP to show up as Posts on SMF, nor do I need Posts on WP to show up as Posts on SMF.  I've never used Comments on WP because it doesn't allow for easily reviewable discussions. 

Suki

The one I can recommend (I haven't actually used but I can attest for its code quality) is this one: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3008

I know it can work with any SMF 2.0.x version (using version emulate How can I install a mod that doesn't work in my SMF version?) and it says it can work with WP 3.0 or greater, now, I don't know whats your WP version but if there was no major changes on how WP stores the users data then this mod can still be used.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Jim R

I think that was the one that caused all of my passwords not to work, or at the very least mine (admin).  I rehashed the data table, but it was after I deleted the connection with the plugin.  Probably a panic move.

Suki

All your passwords where?  on WP or SMF?  how do you rehashed the data?

For integrations it is always best to work on a dummy forum/site with a copy of your database on localhost.

Marcelo Mika

Hello Friend.

Conflict or lost passwords:

When smf admin and wp admin have the same username.

If smf recover password in wp be changed.

If recover password in wp, in smf there will NOT change password, it generates error log. The confusion thinking that there goes your password

The best way?

1. Allow wordpress and / or smf user registry

2. Restrict password recovery in wordpress

In my page I decided to handle the registration for wordpress only

In the folder where it was installed smf create a. Htaccess

edited. htaccess and copy

#RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^action=register$
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ http://compuzone-shop.com.ar/wp-signup.php [R=301,L]

When a visitor clicks on register in smf, will be redirected to the wordpress registration page.

because I chose wordpress to manage user registration?

The page / registration form is easy to customiszar, smf no.

Wordpress has separate Header and Footers.
SMF requires a lot of customization to change the appearance of a single page.

Denying manage password change wordpress

Edit .htaccess is inside the Wordpress installation folder.

Just below

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

add

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^action=lostpassword [NC]
RewriteRule ^wp-login\.php$ /foro/index.php?action=reminder [R=301,L]

/ FORO / = is the folder where you installed SMF Forum
Change the name of the folder for your installation (eg, forum or smf or the name you chose when you installed smf )

This works with Wordpress in root directory and sub ​​directory in Smf forum

Example
My Site:

Wordpress; www.compuzone-shop.com.ar
Forum on; www.compuzone-shop.com.ar/foro

(My English is not good, sorry for the translation.)

twanny

The thing is that none of the SMF/Wordpress bridges work for any of the new updates and from looking at topics made this year about this issue, the most common answer is just "Derp you can use SMF for everything, you don't need Wordpress" and I still haven't seen an answered topic about this issue.

No, I do need Wordpress. Wordpress has the skins I need, it has the plugins I need and works the way I need it to work - SMF doesn't.

So how can I integrate an SMF forum into Wordpress without too much work (using the latest versions for both Wordpress and SMF) so the user database is primarily stored in SMF and users can log in to Wordpress with their SMF credentials. I've checked pretty much any existing SMF to Wordpress plugin and they're all outdated. And please don't waste your time posting how " I don't need Wordpress anyway".

Hi Fabis94,

I really do feel your 'pain' regarding this issue. So to cut a long story short, I use a WORDPRESS plugin which does exactly what you want (I think). The new user register on SMF and the details then populate the WP user list. Simple.  Users can sign in either through the WP login screen or SMF. Also they can log off using either systems. It works for me, so I am happy :) . Oh sorry almost forgot to mention the plugins name  ;) hxxp:github.com/jwall149/smf2wp [nonactive] . Hope this helps.

keyrocks

Quote from: twanny on December 01, 2013, 01:51:22 PM
I use a WORDPRESS plugin which does exactly what you want (I think). The new user register on SMF and the details then populate the WP user list. Simple.  Users can sign in either through the WP login screen or SMF. Also they can log off using either systems. It works for me, so I am happy :) . Oh sorry almost forgot to mention the plugins name  ;) github.com/jwall149/smf2wp . Hope this helps.

SMF2WP worked for me just fine (in December 2012) with an offline (localhost) test project (installation) of WP version 3.5 (in the server root) and SMF version 2.0.3 in a "community" sub-directory (in the server root). I didn't install the project on a host server (online) but it did (and still does) integrate the WP and SMF login & logout functions successfully.

Advertisement: