How to remove the word "replies" after the # of replies

Started by wynnyelle, September 03, 2013, 07:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

We only display reply #, not views, so there's no need to have the word "replies" there since it's in the header and there's just one thing there--the # of replies.

How can I take this word out of there and have it only in the heading?

margarett

MessageIndex.template.php

Find here:

<td class="stats ', $color_class, '">
', $topic['replies'], ' ', $txt['replies'], '

delete the "$txt['replies']" part ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

wynnyelle

It's not working. There was no change.

I did clear the file cache just to be sure, and it's still showing the word there.

margarett

Humm..

Well, in your screenshot there are only "replies" and, normally there are "replies" and "views". So your theme can be a little different... Can you attach MessageIndex.template.php?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

wynnyelle

Here.

It added a 1 on there but I did edit the real one and it's exactly the same as you will see here.

margarett

wynnyelle

I've changed it just like you said. And on the correct theme, too, since it is a custom theme. I checked for that. What is wrong?

What should I do?

margarett

Well, first things first...
The file you attached is from your custom theme or from default? Does you theme has a MessageIndex?
Can you try to change default's file and try with it?

wynnyelle

My custom theme has its own. That's the exact one I edited and attached for you.

I can go into default and change that one too while I wait for your response.

Edit: I changed it there, and it also failed there.

margarett

No sh*t, Sherlock :P

I see no reason for it to fail, sorry. I put your file (the one you edited) in my test SMF and the "replies" wording was gone...
Do you have some cache service? SMF or outside one?

wynnyelle

I do, I use memcache. However, I went into the language file and remoevd the word "replies" from there entirely to see if that worked. It worked immediately, but it also removed it from the heading, which I don't want it to do.

wynnyelle

I now went into the language file again, same one, and added a "repliestwo" entry.

I set it to be empty.

I went back into my custom theme's messageindex file and changed the "txt replies" thing to match the new language file entry.

There was no change at all.

What should I do now?

margarett

Yup, that's why I didn't tell you to do that :P That string is needed in many other places.

Try to leave it as we did (edited, not working for you...) and let's see how it behaves tomorrow. That's the only thing that comes to my mind right now.
And I can try too. Are you doing that in your live forums?

wynnyelle

No I am on a development site.

The string is as is other than being altered to be the new entry I added. Nothing's actually changing, even though when I altered the language file itself the first time the entries changed immediately on the site. That's what I don't understand. I don't know why it is happening and I don't want to sit around and wait. :( thank you for your help, I just need more help I think.

Burke ♞ Knight

It seems like it is not working due to cache.
I know you said you cleared SMF and browser cache.

Did you try viewing with different browser?

Arantor

Memcache doesn't cache PHP content, it's not an opcode cache. The most likely reason is that the file being edited is not the one being used.

margarett

TBH, don't get me wrong, but I think you are editing the wrong file...
I mean, that's the only REAL explanation I see. If you change the language strings, they are "universal" to all themes. But if you change that file in a certain theme, it's only valid in it...

That's the only reason I see for your changes result in... nothing :)

edit: Arantor beat me to it :P

wynnyelle

I changed both the default and custom messageindex files that you told me to...What other file could it be? I have time to go look and try, I'll be here all evening.

Arantor

MessageIndex.template.php is the right file for the list of topics as pointed out which tends to suggest that what you've edited is not what you think you've edited... Can't really tell without seeing the file as it is right now.

wynnyelle

I did attach it for Margarett and he confirmed that's the correct one to edit, though I think you are right and it is the wrong file somehow because I'm updating and tweaking other files now through the language file and they are showing the update right away. I am not even having to clear the cache to reveal the change.

Advertisement: