Nearly December Update

Started by Arantor, November 26, 2013, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gargoyle

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 29, 2013, 09:58:11 AM
It's not assigned to a user as such. It's assigned to the thing that has been liked, e.g. 'msg 1, liked by user 2 at timestamp 1234567890'

This means it is portable to other things (since the 'msg' part is not set in stone and can be any identifier) and doesn't get into the realms of 'we have to update a ton of values if a user disappears' or 'we have to update a ton of values if a post is reattributed' ;)

Makes a lot of sense... Thank you for the clarification! ;D

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 29, 2013, 04:47:52 PM
Ultimately what it comes down to is if someone wants me to build it, I need to be convinced of the benefit to invest my time in doing it. If someone else builds it, I'm *immediately* more receptive to it because the biggest timesink is not my problem.

Fair enough.

lurkalot

Just a quick ? for Arantor

Should the latest git zip have a Settings_bak.php file included in it?  Just I went to install it, and it asked me to make the Settings_bak.php writable.  Then I realised there wasn't one.  Added it from one of the earlier zips and it installed fine.

Sorry for asking here, just I didn't want to report it on git if it wasn't supposed to be included.  ???

Chalky

You have to make your own Settings_bak.php by creating a copy of Settings.php and renaming it  ;)

lurkalot

Quote from: ChalkCat on December 01, 2013, 09:28:07 AM
You have to make your own Settings_bak.php by creating a copy of Settings.php and renaming it  ;)

Thanks, that's strange, because I've installed 2.1 many times from those github zips without having to do this.  Just the zip I downloaded today seems to play up.

Edited to correct my stupidity.  ;)

Arantor

2.0 has never been on GitHub ;) as for 2.1 nothing has changed with regard to Settings_bak.php lately.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 01, 2013, 11:00:21 AM
2.0 has never been on GitHub ;) as for 2.1 nothing has changed with regard to Settings_bak.php lately.

Arantor, Thanks for pointing out my typo.  :-[

So you are saying is always been missing from the github zip?  Why did I not have to create a Settings_bak.php when installing it before, (such as from the November update post)? Not a big issue, as it's easily sorted out, but I'm now very curious.  :)

Arantor

I didn't create one when I installed from GitHub a few days ago...

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 01, 2013, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 01, 2013, 11:29:03 AM

Ok, apologies all round, sorry.   It must have been the silly freehost I was testing it on. (I knew I shouldn't have tried it)  When installing it asked me to make the Settings_bak.php writable, but couldn't because it wasn't there.  Added the file via ftp and it installed fine.

Just installed in Xampp again. and it installed perfectly, and created a Settings_bak.php file by itself as expected. ;)

Illori

well when i copied emanuele's how to on installing 2.1 from github he said to create the settings_bak.php file...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Contributing_to_SMF#Missing_files

lurkalot

Quote from: Illori on December 01, 2013, 12:47:17 PM
well when i copied emanuele's how to on installing 2.1 from github he said to create the settings_bak.php file...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Contributing_to_SMF#Missing_files

Thanks for that link, hadn't seen it before.

I'd only ever tested 2.1 locally in Xampp before today, and like said it installed and created a settings_bak.php file automatically somehow.  Then today I tried it on a freebie hosted server, and was expecting it to do the same.   I know now, thanks. ;)

TomW

I really like the changes; 2.1 is looking to be a significant improvement.  I've been looking at Github nearly every day to see what's happening.

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on November 26, 2013, 08:45:13 PM
* Swanky new dropdown menu for profile and PMs. See attached pictures for more. Because we added these swanky menus, the profile and PMs menus are no longer in the main menu - they don't really need to be, either. So the menu is now more compact and more focused on the site (with the 'me stuff' out of the way at the top of the page)

One suggestion - since the user info has been moved, why not move the Login/Logout/Register as well ? They now seem a bit out of place in the main menu.

Arantor

Login and Register should be linked in the header anyway, and Logout is on the main menu because it would be problematic to move it - if it were on the popup, users without JavaScript would not be able to log out.

Kindred

and those options should *ALWAYS* be in the main menu of any site...  IMO
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I can see an argument for moving them, just as I can for leaving them as they are... themes aren't prevented from doing different things though ;)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I know at least one of DzinerStudio's themes does so, IceCube splits off the register+login/logout button off the menu and into the panel below the menu, which I personally like a lot.

TomW

Thanks.  You are correct; a custom theme or a mod can make that an option.  To the point you've made often - keep it simple, and if users want to modify it, they can.

ziycon

Fairplay to all the dev team, excellent work as always.

Advertisement: