News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrade from 2.ORCI - please help

Started by Torevar, April 05, 2016, 11:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torevar

Hi i have a forum running SMF 2 ORCI
and severely needs upgrading  (is running many problems)

this notification comes up when trying to upgrade - and i am a complete numbskull in all things computer/internet

An Error Has Occurred!
Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

I need help guys -  i do not even know how to 'download the package'
nor do i know what FTP means ....  so you can get the gist of my inability to handle things.

thankyou
Aurora

at this point i would like to thank simple machines for their free forum templates, (this is my 5 forum site  with SMF - and its the best ! --- even tho i dont know how in the hell it all works, but it does !)

br360

Hi and welcome to SMF. :)

Uploading through your package manager only works if you are trying to patch from one version to the next. (say 2.0.10 to 2.0.11 for example) Since you are going to be upgrading from a very old version to the latest, you are going to have to upload the upgrade package to your server. This doesn't have to be done through an FTP and can be done through your file manager in cpanel if you have one.

Take a look at this link which will walk you through how to upgrade to the latest version- http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Torevar

thanks br360 for your info.
read the instructions to the upgrade - and it is still beyond my capacity to do this
(especially when the instructions read 'do not proceed if you dont know what you are doing'
and i dont.

Do any of the support team do a paid service ? - i am willing to pay to get this job done properly.

Thankyou
Torevar

Torevar

Thanks Illori.

I have donated $50 as requested
where do i go from here ?

manythanks
x

Illori

it does not look like you did so from your profile to join the charter group. at this point i think your only option would be to PM coreisp and ask him to add you to the charter group so you can put in a help desk ticket.

Advertisement: