News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.13 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, January 05, 2017, 03:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apllicmz

rentner

Thank you so much for your great job and  to give the people a free community software.

Installation of the update easy as usually and very quick without problems.
Now also the shoutbox chache form the Simple Portal are function again.

8)

SweeX

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost,
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring,
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Xpresskonami

Quote from: Shambles on January 05, 2017, 04:05:32 PM
Nothing appears in my Admin area and no patch appears on the patches page.

hello. i love the way your RECENT TOPIC is sliding vertical. please is the wok of jquery or from the theme ???

Shambles

Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 05, 2017, 03:31:47 PM
Please do not use this topic for support requests.

PM would be better

Xpresskonami

Campanule

MobileCS

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MobileCS

Quote from: Kindred on February 06, 2017, 10:41:01 PM
When it is ready

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but answering a question with simply "when it's ready" comes across as quite rude. I've been desperately waiting for this update, as this forum software is the only thing I have on this server that doesn't support PHP 7.

I need to upgrade so I can be sure my new projects are fully PHP 7 optimized and compatible. This is how I make a living, it's not a hobby or "because I want the latest and greatest".

With that said, does anyone have a rough timeline when this update will be available?

Steve

Unfortunately no and SMF never gives projected release dates anyway.

Sorry about the answer sounding rude but that's the only answer we give when asked when an update will be released.
DO NOT pm me for support!

MobileCS

Any reason why the 2.0.x is hidden on GitHub? Why not open it up and let others pitch in and get the developers past any roadblocks they have run in to?

Also, I see that active support for PHP 5.6 ended last month. They are only doing security updates now.

Kindred

it is because that is how we built the 2.0 branch.
Since the 2.0 branch is not in active development any more, there is no purpose in opening the branch to the public, since we're not going to generally accept anything but security patches at this point anyway.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tinoest

Quote from: MobileCS on February 20, 2017, 12:34:12 PM
Any reason why the 2.0.x is hidden on GitHub? Why not open it up and let others pitch in and get the developers past any roadblocks they have run in to?

Also, I see that active support for PHP 5.6 ended last month. They are only doing security updates now.

Although RedHat will support PHP 5.3 until 2020 when support for RHEL 6 ends, and PHP 5.4 ( I think ) in RHEL 7 until 2024, Debian 7 is PHP 5.4 and that's supported until 2018 and Debian 8 is PHP 5.6 and thats supported until 2020. Both will receive security updates from upstream and is maintained by others so whilst PHP have declared it EOL its far from being EOL.

MobileCS

Quote from: tinoest on February 20, 2017, 01:55:10 PM
Although RedHat will support PHP 5.3 until 2020 when support for RHEL 6 ends, and PHP 5.4 ( I think ) in RHEL 7 until 2024, Debian 7 is PHP 5.4 and that's supported until 2018 and Debian 8 is PHP 5.6 and thats supported until 2020. Both will receive security updates from upstream and is maintained by others so whilst PHP have declared it EOL its far from being EOL.

I use FreeBSD, so things work a bit differently. PHP is removed from the ports system once PHP no longer officially supports it. As it stand now, PHP 5.6 is the earliest version you can install (5.4 and 5.5 have been removed).

I really hope that the SMF 2.0.14 update is released before PHP 5.6 disappears as well or I'm in trouble.

Arantor

5.6 is still supported, and for much longer than usual while people get ready for PHP 7. 5.6 is receiving security support until the end of 2018.

MobileCS

Quote from: Arantor on February 28, 2017, 02:40:30 AM
5.6 is still supported, and for much longer than usual while people get ready for PHP 7. 5.6 is receiving security support until the end of 2018.

That's not the issue ... the issue for me is having to paying an extra $150/month for a second dedicated server so I can install PHP 7 to test / run my new projects on. The only reason I can't install PHP 7 on my original server is because this forum software doesn't support it - but everything else does.

I'm not trying to create any trouble - I understand your developers hit a massive road block. I'm just in bad position because of it.

Arantor

Most good hosts can let you switch between PHP versions on a per folder basis...

MobileCS

Quote from: Steve on February 19, 2017, 03:24:25 PM
Unfortunately no and SMF never gives projected release dates anyway.

Sorry about the answer sounding rude but that's the only answer we give when asked when an update will be released.

Fair enough, does anyone know if the PHP 7 update for SMF 2.0.x is still being worked on - or has it been abandoned?

d3vcho

We are still working on it, and PHP7 will be suported in our next patch, 2.0.14
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Advertisement: