News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

I'm new - I need help

Started by TiU, January 23, 2018, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiU

Hello all,
I'm new.  I just took over a site that uses Simple Machines from a previous owner.

I don't know anything about it, except how to use it.

I would like to make a posting sticky, and, call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to do it.

That's all I need, for now.  Hope somebody can tell me how to make a sticky.

Thanks.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You will find this button at the bottom of a topic when viewing a topic.
There is also a Sticky this topic check box in the Attachments and other Options section when you make a post.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Main_Page

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

First and foremost...   posting with a title like this is worse than useless, since many support helpers skim titles for things they can help with.  Please use a descriptive title. Not "help me".... 

Second...   in the post, under attachments and other options...  there is a checkbox to make a thread sticky.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Take note of the sticky topic in this board: READ FIRST: How to help us help you

While not all of the info suggested is needed for your questions, the more info you give, the better. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

TiU

Quote from: Kindred on January 23, 2018, 04:03:47 PM
First and foremost...   posting with a title like this is worse than useless, since many support helpers skim titles for things they can help with.  Please use a descriptive title. Not "help me".... 

Second...   in the post, under attachments and other options...  there is a checkbox to make a thread sticky.

Thanks.  That worked.

Don't worry, I won't be back.  Just wanted to know how to do this.

Sometimes it's easier to just ask a very simple question, rather than spending hours looking through a bunch of technical junk.

I would suggest, though, that somebody see for themselves if - now, you have to pretend that you're a novice, alright? - they can easily find out how to make a sticky.

Put "sticky" into your query box, and tell me if it tells you how to make a sticky.  It tells you what a sticky is, but not how to make a sticky.

I'm coming at a post - post-posting - and deciding to - Hey, I might make that a sticky - and there's no reason I would go back to "modify" the post and look at "attachments."

Thanks again.  Don't worry, I won't have any more questions.

SaltedWeb

Each SMF board has its own way of running and setting rules.
Many that you agree to when you joined here in this support forum. If one joins your forum you would want others respecting how you run your site wouldn't you?
If you are new to this, might want to check yourself, before you wreck yourself as they say.
People can run a forum how they want. Especially when they are giving you free support and software gees. :o
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Illori

we also have a very helpful online manual with a page that includes how to do this. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Other_moderator_options

searching the forum for a how to in this case is the wrong place to search for the answer.

Steve

DO NOT let anyone's perceived personality keep you from asking questions if you have them. Kindred is just blunt and to the point. You'll find he's a nice guy (don't tell him I said that :P ) ...

We were all new once so you more than likely won't ask anything we haven't heard before and can't help you with.

And you will have more questions, I guarantee it. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: