News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Topic Posting Issue

Started by Captain Bigzy, February 01, 2019, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Bigzy

Hello all, I am having an issue with my forum where by when posting a new topic it shows right away as being a new post but takes a minute or 2 to actually display the topic, anyone got ideas on what could cause this?

edit: Sorry wrong support section!  please move to support 2.0.x please

Captain Bigzy

Just tried uninstalling Anti-spam by CleanTalk and it fixed the issue.  Wil mark as solved but would be nice to know why this mod is causing the topics to take so long to display

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is probably because of how CleanTalk works. I'm not familiar with the mod, but this description is from CleanTalk:
- A visitor writes a comment or registers.
- CleanTalk plugin sends action parameters into the CleanTalk cloud.
- Service analyzes the parameters.
- If this is a visitor, the comment will be published. If it's a spam bot, then CleanTalk blocks this comment or registering.
- Parameters are written to the log which can be viewed in the Control Panel service.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 02, 2019, 01:43:07 AM
That is probably because of how CleanTalk works. I'm not familiar with the mod, but this description is from CleanTalk:
- A visitor writes a comment or registers.
- CleanTalk plugin sends action parameters into the CleanTalk cloud.
- Service analyzes the parameters.
- If this is a visitor, the comment will be published. If it's a spam bot, then CleanTalk blocks this comment or registering.
- Parameters are written to the log which can be viewed in the Control Panel service.

I thought so but I have removed the CleanTalk and I am still having this issue, ugh...

Captain Bigzy

For me if i post a new topic on my mobile it works fine, instantly shows, my friend tried and its not instant for him, i am so confused?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It can be a caching issue as well, do you know if your host is running some cache like Varnish?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

drewactual

i wager it's caching... I use clean talk and have never encountered this- it's virtually transparent. 

to be sure, though, you may want to log into the cleantalk control panel and make sure it's not set up with some sort of function that causes this... there are several bells whistles and toggles in that panel, so it's conceivable. 

i'd be interested in seeing the error log and see if it's catching any strange business, both on SMF and the server.

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 02, 2019, 04:06:21 PM
It can be a caching issue as well, do you know if your host is running some cache like Varnish?

Not 100% sure I am with one.com [nofollow] so will contact there live chat and ask and reply here with my findings!

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: drewactual on February 02, 2019, 04:12:56 PM
i wager it's caching... I use clean talk and have never encountered this- it's virtually transparent. 

to be sure, though, you may want to log into the cleantalk control panel and make sure it's not set up with some sort of function that causes this... there are several bells whistles and toggles in that panel, so it's conceivable. 

i'd be interested in seeing the error log and see if it's catching any strange business, both on SMF and the server.

I have already toggled some of the settings and fully uninstalled cleantalk with no change so seems more like an issue somewhere else.

As for logs I am not sure where to look or what to look for I will see what my host says first.

drewactual

the logs i'm thinking of primarily are accessible from your admin panel.. go to admin>maintenance>logs>error logs

Captain Bigzy

So I confirmed with my hosting company that yes they do use Varnish Cache, I have added Header add "Cache-Control" "no-cache" to my .htaccess file in the root directory of my website however after doing so I am still experiencing the same problem.

I will take a look through the Admin/Maintenance/Logs and see what I can find.

Captain Bigzy

Ok wow I got a lot of errors, dunno where to start...   ::)

Anyone fancy taking a look for me? 

EDITED:  Mostly errors like this  8192: Function create_function() is deprecated

Not sure whats up  :(

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Captain Bigzy on February 02, 2019, 11:27:07 PM
So I confirmed with my hosting company that yes they do use Varnish Cache
I would suggest you ask your host if they can completely disable it for you - but I'd imagine they won't.
We've seen Varnish cause some strange things before, stranger than what you are experiencing now.

Quote from: Captain Bigzy on February 02, 2019, 11:30:27 PM
EDITED:  Mostly errors like this  8192: Function create_function() is deprecated
What PHP version are you running on?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 02, 2019, 11:39:25 PM
Quote from: Captain Bigzy on February 02, 2019, 11:27:07 PM
So I confirmed with my hosting company that yes they do use Varnish Cache
I would suggest you ask your host if they can completely disable it for you - but I'd imagine they won't.
We've seen Varnish cause some strange things before, stranger than what you are experiencing now.

Quote from: Captain Bigzy on February 02, 2019, 11:30:27 PM
What PHP version are you running on?

I tried deleting the 33k errors then started 1 topic, checked errors and theres 126 new errors.

Im running php7.3 on web host if that helps any?

drewactual

that helps a lot....

can you back up to php7.0 or 7.1 (ask your host...)?  you can get by with 7.2 with a mod that's available, but 7.3 is a bridge too far.  7.1 is ready out of the box for most SMF uses- there are some mod's that won't like it, but i understand 7.1 is good for almost all. 

Captain Bigzy

Thanks for the info by default I have option of 7.1 7.2 and 7.3

I will backup to 7.1 and retest tomorrow as it does state it can take up to 20 minutes to take effect and I need to catch some sleep! 5am here in Scotland  ;D

Thanks again and I will reply when I have tested.

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: drewactual on February 02, 2019, 11:52:59 PM
that helps a lot....

can you back up to php7.0 or 7.1 (ask your host...)?  you can get by with 7.2 with a mod that's available, but 7.3 is a bridge too far.  7.1 is ready out of the box for most SMF uses- there are some mod's that won't like it, but i understand 7.1 is good for almost all.

Seems to be fixed, gave it 2 minutes after backup to 7.1 and tried 2 new topics, so far they both have shown up instantly and no errors at all so could be solved, i will restest later after some sleep and if good I will mark as solved!   Fingers Crossed!

Captain Bigzy

This issue now resolved, seems changing the website to run phpbb 7.1 fixed it!

Thanks to all of you who helped, very much appreciated!  :-*

Captain Bigzy

that helps a lot....

Opened this back up as still having same issue with php 7.1 however not getting the same errors, only errors i am getting now which I think are not related are...

Unable to send mail to the email address

CleanTalk: allow message for

and

CleanTalk: allow regisration for

Captain Bigzy

Quote from: Captain Bigzy on February 03, 2019, 11:32:23 AM
that helps a lot....

Opened this back up as still having same issue with php 7.1 however not getting the same errors, only errors i am getting now which I think are not related are...

Unable to send mail to the email address

CleanTalk: allow message for

and

CleanTalk: allow regisration for

So the above quote of myself has been fixed but that was not the issue, still have a delay in new topics showing, it does highlight the board to show theres a new topic but for some reason the actual topic is not visible for a minute or 2, any ideas what might cause such a delay?

Advertisement: