SMF 2.1 RC1 released

Started by Sesquipedalian, February 04, 2019, 07:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben_S

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on February 08, 2019, 06:28:20 AM
The idea is that they will have shorter releases.

I'd be utterly amazed if they aren't shorter, but shorter is a relative term when there was over a year and a half between beta 3 and RC1.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Gwenwyfar

We can't promise any timeframes but you can replace "shorter" with "short" in that phrase, if you're going to analyze it that way.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Seyit replikacep.com

Arantor

Gary

Package Manager updates only start happening once a major version has become Final.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Seyit replikacep.com

Quote from: Gazmanafc on February 09, 2019, 12:39:27 PM
Package Manager updates only start happening once a major version has become Final.

I understand :)

I hope the finale won't last too long

Sesquipedalian

Update:

A significant bug has been found in RC1 that prevents alerts and notification messages from being sent. A fix for this has already been included in the code on GitHub and will be available in RC2.

In the meantime, users of RC1 can fix this issue themselves by manually editing cron.php, which is located in the root folder of your forum (i.e., the same folder as index.php and SSI.php).

In cron.php, find these two lines of code (they are near the start of the file):

Code (Find) Select

define('SMF', 'BACKGROUND');
define('FROM_CLI', empty($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']));

Now replace them with the following:

Code (Replace) Select

define('SMF_VERSION', '2.1 RC1');
define('SMF_FULL_VERSION', 'SMF ' . SMF_VERSION);
define('SMF_SOFTWARE_YEAR', '2019');
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Antechinus

It'd be a good idea to whip up a patch for that. Back when SMF 2.0 RC2 came out there was a bug in the theme footer. Again, something that was easily fixed with a manual edit, but even easier (for average admins) to fix with a patch. So I whipped up the Phooter Phix patch and made it available for anyone who wanted it.

live627

Seyit replikacep.com

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on February 09, 2019, 03:36:13 PM
Update:

A significant bug has been found in RC1 that prevents alerts and notification messages from being sent. A fix for this has already been included in the code on GitHub and will be available in RC2.

In the meantime, users of RC1 can fix this issue themselves by manually editing cron.php, which is located in the root folder of your forum (i.e., the same folder as index.php and SSI.php).

In cron.php, find these two lines of code (they are near the start of the file):

Code (Find) Select

Now replace them with the following:

Code (Replace) Select

define('SMF_VERSION', '2.1 RC1');
define('SMF_FULL_VERSION', 'SMF ' . SMF_VERSION);
define('SMF_SOFTWARE_YEAR', '2019');

Type of error: Critical
The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: request_list
Function: execute
/home/....../public_html/Sources/tasks/GroupAct-Notify.php (Line 40)

I'm getting this type of bugs

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

Quote from: Gazmanafc on February 09, 2019, 12:39:27 PM

Fair enough. And since this thread is not for support ;) can anyone point me to instructions for updating between RC versions please.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Antechinus

Since this thread is not for support, I won't tell you that it's the standard "large upgrade" procedure. In other words, I won't tell you that RC2 will include a complete set of files to overwrite all RC1 files. Nor will I even think of mentioning that RC2 will also include an upgrade.php, which you run through your browser via the usual url. :)

albertlast

Quote from: Replikacep on February 09, 2019, 06:02:33 PM
Type of error: Critical
The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: request_list
Function: execute
/home/....../public_html/Sources/tasks/GroupAct-Notify.php (Line 40)

I'm getting this type of bugs

please open a support topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

@Ant
I like how you don't provide support ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

shnazzle

Quote from: Arantor on February 07, 2019, 04:33:58 PM
You do know what 'RC' means, right?

Bit late to the party but just FYI; Yes I do and I haven't implemented after looking into the existing issues on Git and also the fact that (at the minute) too many people use Tapatalk for me to switch over to 2.1 (I know....I know...don't...).

Once the number of issues calms down and we're in RC2, I'll reconsider.

I ran the latest nightly builds locally for a while and it's been pretty stable with the exception of some small issues, which made me (just like yourselves) consider RC1 appropriate for Production use...with caveats.

It's worth noting though, for others, that there should be a difference between actually implementing it and considering it for implementation.
It being RC1 means you can CONSIDER it for implementation in live. It doesn't mean you should and it's guaranteed to be safe and suitable for you.
RC1 isn't "all systems go".

Arantor

Good, you're the kind of person who understands. Just a "I'll implement on my site" type comment sounded to me a bit like "it's stable, full steam ahead" as we've already seen. There are people who think RC means "not beta" and don't treat it as an RC should.

Antes

landyvlad

May I suggest that, in the 2.1 support forum, a thread be created with specific instructions on updated from Rc toi RC versions and then from RC to final.
(as these come out).  I'm sure that'd be handy and would be a point of reference to people who would be les likely to clutter up this thread with the same repeated questions.  Or at least, respondents could simply provide a link... :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Gary

Upgrades between RC releases is no different then it is to get you to RC1 to begin with, there's no need for any documentation on that.

The upgrader is designed to upgrade from ANY previous version including YaBS SE 1.5.5, betas and RC releases to the version you downloaded, and has been since the very beginning of SMF.

Github packages don't count, only officially released ones on SM.org.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: