News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What could be the worst a new member could do ?

Started by skb, July 15, 2020, 02:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

We are over 3 years old and struggling for genuine memberships. In an effort to have a larger roll call, I've made joining the forum as easy as can be, i.e. lowest requirements of SMF settings.

At the same time there is a concern that if the wrong type of member gets in, he/she could cause us unmanageable harm. We do get spammers but the 'Moderator Approval until minimum legit post count' settings can keep them at bay.

My question is if anyone intending harm gets a membership at the lowest Newbie level with minimum permissions, is there still anyway that he/she could do some harm to the forum. 

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: skb on July 15, 2020, 02:49:47 AM
We are over 3 years old and struggling for genuine memberships. In an effort to have a larger roll call, I've made joining the forum as easy as can be, i.e. lowest requirements of SMF settings.

At the same time there is a concern that if the wrong type of member gets in, he/she could cause us unmanageable harm. We do get spammers but the 'Moderator Approval until minimum legit post count' settings can keep them at bay.

My question is if anyone intending harm gets a membership at the lowest Newbie level with minimum permissions, is there still anyway that he/she could do some harm to the forum.

Besides spamming and posting insults, there is nothing else that members can do to harm your forum if you will.

That being said, if someone has the knowledge and really wants to harm your forum, they can, regardless if they are registered members or not.

skb

OK. Thanks for your reply Doug. That relaxes me a lot.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Advertisement: