members table not completely duplicated to users table in wp?

Started by rcane, December 29, 2021, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

So I'm dabbling at making some WP content that my SMF folks can get to once logged in.

I have the SMF2WP mod but haven't turned it on.

I installed WP in a sub directory of my domain:   mydomain.com/content/wp_stuff_in_here

I found a table in the WP database called "users" that had names/emails of my SMF members_table, but I noticed that it only populated with about 500 of my 1600 members.

I guess I'm looking to solve that before I move on to learning how to tie the two places together.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Which bridge exactly?
I believe at least this one https://github.com/xchwarze/WP2SMFBridge / https://github.com/xchwarze/SMF2WPBridge does not actively replicate the users without user interaction - meaning that a user is synced only when they perform an action to require it.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 02:29:45 AMWhich bridge exactly?
I believe at least this one https://github.com/xchwarze/WP2SMFBridge / https://github.com/xchwarze/SMF2WPBridge does not actively replicate the users without user interaction - meaning that a user is synced only when they perform an action to require it.

Well, here's the thing Lex.  I just installed them to get that out of the way.  I didn't install anything on the wp side since I only care about accessing a few static pages once inside SMF.

So I just was poking around in the WP tables and found their version of smf_members.

At the very least I was willing to make a login form for the WP pages if I could just import the user list from my SMF members to it's "users" table.

Like I've said, this is all foreign territory to me. 

So, without me actually doing "anything" I can't see how only 'some' of my SMF members ended up in the WP table.

I didn't know if installing WP under my SMF (it's mydomain.com/content/wp-content made that happen automatically.

And if it did, why only 500 folks and not grab all of them?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, that's what I was trying to explain - To my knowledge, neither of those bridges grabs everyone immediately, they work basically one user at a time. So seeing some users transferred is a better sign than seeing none, and seeing everyone immediately would be odd.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 11:07:06 AMYeah, that's what I was trying to explain - To my knowledge, neither of those bridges grabs everyone immediately, they work basically one user at a time. So seeing some users transferred is a better sign than seeing none, and seeing everyone immediately would be odd.

Like a good newb i reached out to the mod-makers but they indicated no personal experience in using it so I'm really pathfinding right now.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sad to say, I have no real life experience with them either so I'm going off of what I've gathered from reading the bridges readme -files in the past, and can't really verify how exactly they work.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 11:20:21 AMSad to say, I have no real life experience with them either so I'm going off of what I've gathered from reading the bridges readme -files in the past, and can't really verify how exactly they work.

I feared that.

That being said, were I just to make some user-access logins for my wp pages, could I import the SMF users/passwords manually into the wp "users" table?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's exactly what those bridges should do - If you register in SMF, then you should be able to use that account on the WP side as well. And if you install them both, the other way around as well. Have you tried?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 12:38:52 PMThat's exactly what those bridges should do - If you register in SMF, then you should be able to use that account on the WP side as well. And if you install them both, the other way around as well. Have you tried?

No, primarily because I have never set up a user account wp before.  I wanted to have all the literature laid out before taking steps.

I'm okay just having separate logins for the two sites.  I just cannot make folks sign up again.  you know?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well - As I tried to point out, all signs point to your bridge working as it should, so what you really should do now is test it out. The user data is not synched automatically for everyone, but if the bridge works this isn't a problem and over time most of the users will be synched in the background.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 12:52:46 PMWell - As I tried to point out, all signs point to your bridge working as it should, so what you really should do now is test it out. The user data is not synched automatically for everyone, but if the bridge works this isn't a problem and over time most of the users will be synched in the background.

Can I ask about attributes then?  right now I can just access the "dumb" page that's sitting there.  If the bridge is slowly working, i mean slooowwly, what/where do i modify the page to prevent its public appearance/accessibility?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: rcane on December 30, 2021, 12:54:28 PMCan I ask about attributes then?  right now I can just access the "dumb" page that's sitting there.  If the bridge is slowly working, i mean slooowwly, what/where do i modify the page to prevent its public appearance/accessibility?
Well, this integration is only about sharing users - Wordpress settings are still handled in Wordpress.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: rcane on December 30, 2021, 12:54:28 PMCan I ask about attributes then?  right now I can just access the "dumb" page that's sitting there.  If the bridge is slowly working, i mean slooowwly, what/where do i modify the page to prevent its public appearance/accessibility?
Well, this integration is only about sharing users - Wordpress settings are still handled in Wordpress.

right.

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 30, 2021, 12:57:16 PM

I couldn't make it work. 
The bridge only grabbed some of the users from the member table and it included folks who weren't even approved yet but only at the "waiting for activation link" stage.

I would simply settle for a way to import my users into WP (and not integrate the two at all) so they don't have to sign up a second time.

How hard does this need to be?

I don't want to use phpbb or buddypress or the like.  SMF is damn strong and has been running my 1700 members now for months with no issues.  Why risk that?

The password hashes/encodings are the problem.  I don't want to see them--just make them work on wp.

Perhaps there is a way to get a session cookie from within a page/post/button from SMF and have that be verified to show the wordpress pages; that would bypass all user account needs. 

i'm really treading water on this.  can't seem to find a suitable angle that doesn't make folks register twice and does NOT mean I have to change forums.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm really not fully understanding you here - What do you expect the bridge to do? Because, like I mentioned earlier it seems to me like it's working.

It's not a conversion tool to copy and convert your userbase at one go.
It is a tool to allow one application to communicate with another application in order to utilize the same user credentials.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

vbgamer45

The SMF2WPBridge only creates a user in Wordpress. If they try to login to SMF and does not exist. Or if they register in SMF then it creates a user in wordpress. The whole members tables is never synced.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 03, 2022, 04:30:00 AMI'm really not fully understanding you here - What do you expect the bridge to do? Because, like I mentioned earlier it seems to me like it's working.

It's not a conversion tool to copy and convert your userbase at one go.
It is a tool to allow one application to communicate with another application in order to utilize the same user credentials.

No, I understand that.  I was confused because it was making wp_user entries for everyone that registered--whether approved for the forums or not.  I don't need that kind of extra work.  I'll have to find another way.  Thank you though.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rcane

Quote from: Kindred on January 03, 2022, 05:28:18 PMSee the code snippet I gave you in the other thread

I'm digesting it now.  Thank you very much.

rcane

Quote from: Kindred on January 03, 2022, 05:28:18 PMSee the code snippet I gave you in the other thread

I had a little success with the code, but since I'm not building the pages from scratch I don't know if it will help me.  I've been reading all day trying to learn how to integrate the ssi from wordpress--not a common thing apaprently.

The smf2wp bridge is populating.  I re-installed it to watch.  Has about 20 members now.  Short of me figuring out how to log everyone out, I'm guessing anyone on a "stay logged in" session will have to time out before they get transferred over the bridge. 

So I'm either looking at a few days' reading on ssi or a few days reading learning to make wp accessible only if logged in. 

Must be painfully easy because every write-up just talks about their favorite plugin for it and gloss over the nuts & bolts.

Advertisement: