News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1.1 Released

Started by Sesquipedalian, February 11, 2022, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Dear Members,

Simple Machines has released our first patch to the 2.1.x line of SMF, bringing our latest release version to 2.1.1.

• Restores support for PHP 7.0–7.2
  • Fixes a minor bug in the Package Manager

How to update to 2.1.1

If you are running version 2.1.0, you can update your forum to the latest version by using the package manager. You should see the update notification in the admin panel notifications and in the package manager, which will allow you to download and install the patch seamlessly.  If you do not see the notification about the patch, please run the scheduled task "Fetch Simple Machines files" from the Scheduled Tasks page (Admin > Maintenance > Scheduled Tasks).

For other install and upgrade options, please see below.

Since SMF 2.1.1 comes soon after SMF 2.1.0, which was released only a few days ago, we are including a copy the SMF 2.1.0 release announcement for your convenience:

Simple Machines is pleased to announce the official release of the long awaited SMF 2.1.

This release marks the transition of SMF 2.1 into the current stable release of SMF. This means that:

• SMF 2.1 is now the recommended version for use on live production forums. We encourage everyone to start planning for an upgrade to SMF 2.1.
  • SMF 2.0 remains supported and will continue to receive security updates for the foreseeable future, but this release officially marks the end of further 2.0 development. We will release a separate announcement for any future changes to SMF 2.0's status.

Notable changes in 2.1

The changes between SMF 2.0.x and SMF 2.1 are too many to count, but here are a few highlights:

• New features for users
    • A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
    • Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
    • A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
    • Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
    • Mentions using @name syntax
    • Drag & drop attachments
    • Attachments can be embedded directly into post text
  • New features for moderators and administrators
    • An improved Administrator Control Panel
    • Support for moderator groups, not just individuals
    • Many security enhancements, including support for optional Two Factor Authentication.
    • IPv6 support
    • Designed with GDPR support
  • New features for modification and theme authors
    • A massive expansion of the number of integration hooks available
    • More powerful BBCode possibilities
    • Background tasks
    • New capabilities in the Package SDK

You can learn more about the many new features and changes in SMF 2.1 here.

How to install a new SMF 2.1 forum

You can install SMF 2.1 using the "Full Install" package from the Download page.

Please refer to the Online Manual for more details about installing.

How to upgrade to SMF 2.1

You can upgrade to SMF 2.1 from any previous version using the "Large Upgrade" package from the Download page.

Be aware that upgrading to SMF 2.1 will remove any modifications you may have installed on your existing SMF forum, and that SMF 2.1 is incompatible with custom themes designed for earlier versions of SMF. You will need to install new versions of those modifications and/or themes after upgrading. Many modifications and themes have already been updated by their authors to support SMF 2.1, but you may wish to check the status of individual modifications or themes before proceeding.

Please refer to the Online Manual for more details about upgrading.

With this release we'd like to take the opportunity to recognize the effort and dedication of all the people who have volunteered their time to help the SMF project. We would like to thank everyone, past and present, who has contributed to the development of SMF over the past years.

Finally, as always, please do not use this topic for support requests. You will receive a much quicker and better response by asking for help in the SMF 2.1.x Support board.

Thank you for using SMF!

Regards,
Simple Machines
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Looking

Wow, that was fast, thanks.

Shades.

ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

AllanD

Nice pick up thank you. 
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

4Kstore

Great news, thanks for all the hard work

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

TwitchisMental

Very nice, thank you for all the hard work.

noquiexis

Many thanks for staying on top of this! (((Hugs))) for the whole team!  :)
"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
 Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

William Wordsworth

BigMike

Great work guys n gals, thank you. Looking forward to making the jump to 2.1.x soon!

d3vcho

Great response time!

Thank you all again  :D
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

chadon

Thank you for this fast update.

hungarianguy

I am so happy that with this new version of smf. It is very good.

-Rock Lee-

As tusam said it can fail, thanks for the quick response :D!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

SD-X

Now this is the type of update schedule we were hoping for! Great job guys!!! ;D

Seyit replikacep.com

Thanks for php 7.0 and 7.2 support
most of the mods are incompatible with 7.3 and 7.4
thanks

Colin

Congrats on the 2.1 general release, team!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

SpacePhoenix

Now that the 2.1.x branch has been officially released, would it be worth on the mods forum having a way to show which ones are aimed at 2.1.x with any others being deemed to be aimed at 2.0.x ?

Kindred

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on February 14, 2022, 03:45:08 PMNow that the 2.1.x branch has been officially released, would it be worth on the mods forum having a way to show which ones are aimed at 2.1.x with any others being deemed to be aimed at 2.0.x ?

??? you can do this already. ???
https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=mods
filter on version is in the left column.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

There's no nice way to do it on the mods board though, which I know some people look at.

I seriously think this is worth reconsidering in the future to bring topic prefixes into the core.

gisfreak

great news, thanks for all the hard works  :-*
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Arantor on February 14, 2022, 05:32:30 PMThere's no nice way to do it on the mods board though, which I know some people look at.

I seriously think this is worth reconsidering in the future to bring topic prefixes into the core.

It'll also be good for problem type threads as you'll be able to see that a problem is marked as solved. I've seen mentions of threads being marked as solved but I've never seen anything to indicate that a thread has been solved

Advertisement: