Several questions from a newbie

Started by 20abc22, December 27, 2022, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20abc22

Thanks, everyone - I will keep my eyes open for the mod when available.

There is another technical question I have. I have a user who was trying to create a new thread from his mobile phone and received an error message that his session ended while he was creating it.

Has anyone seen something like that and what would be the root cause? Other users successfully created new threads (although I can't say whether this was on their desktops or not).

Steve

Marking unsolved so your question isn't skipped over.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 04, 2023, 01:22:50 AMThanks, everyone - I will keep my eyes open for the mod when available.

There is another technical question I have. I have a user who was trying to create a new thread from his mobile phone and received an error message that his session ended while he was creating it.

Has anyone seen something like that and what would be the root cause? Other users successfully created new threads (although I can't say whether this was on their desktops or not).

Is anything logged in the error log either in the admin panel or server?

20abc22

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on January 04, 2023, 06:18:03 AM
Quote from: 20abc22 on January 04, 2023, 01:22:50 AMThanks, everyone - I will keep my eyes open for the mod when available.

Is anything logged in the error log either in the admin panel or server?

No, nothing in the logs. I guess when the user tried to make a post, it never made it to the forum.

20abc22

Now, when I try to log in as a user, it says something along the lines of 'you cannot login. Check your cookie settings'. While I was there just a moment ago, logged in.

Kindred

what is the URL of your forum?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 04, 2023, 10:52:17 AMwhat is the URL of your forum?

May I PM the url? I prefer not to post it in public.

What has happened I still can't log in either as a user or admin in my usual browser Brave, but I managed to log in through Firefox. When I was logging in, I was seeing messages that connection is insecure. I wonder if security certificates were properly deployed.

20abc22

What I also noticed is that the quote button does not work, unlike on this forum. I have to manually add quote tags and copy and paste the text.

Kindred

You definitely have a problem in your configuration. Send me your URL and a test login, please.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

OK....

1- your forum is not https
2- favicon.ico does not exist in your forum root directory, but your site is calling for it

HOWEVER...   *THIS* appears to be the root of a bunch of problems
<script async defer src="https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.2"></script><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>This script fails...

you have some sort of mod or code addition that attempts to load something from facebook and that load fails. That is potentially causing all sorts of errors on the page as OTHER scripts attempt to do actions.

Слaва Украинi

Слaва
Украинi

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 06, 2023, 02:40:55 PMOK....

1- your forum is not https
2- favicon.ico does not exist in your forum root directory, but your site is calling for it

HOWEVER...   *THIS* appears to be the root of a bunch of problems
<script async defer src="https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.2"></script><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>This script fails...

you have some sort of mod or code addition that attempts to load something from facebook and that load fails. That is potentially causing all sorts of errors on the page as OTHER scripts attempt to do actions.

Thank you SO MUCH! how do I do the security stuff? is this something that needs to be done through C Panel?

The facebook stuff may have something to do with the mod I installed hoping to embed facebook posts. It does not work anyway. I will remove it.

I also tried installing some custom smilies, and probably did not do it right. I will remove that file.

QuoteСлaва Украинi

Героям Слава! Thank you SO MUCH for that too! Your support means the world to us :).

Kindred

You host should have an option to set up a certificate using Let's Encrypt -- so, yes, in your host CPanel.

I work with Ukrainians and I've been to Dnipro. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but this is an actual photo from a city street in eastern Finland. Слава Україні!
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 06, 2023, 03:23:54 PMYou host should have an option to set up a certificate using Let's Encrypt -- so, yes, in your host CPanel.

I work with Ukrainians and I've been to Dnipro. :)

I have removed two mods (twitter and facebook embed) and added the favicon.ico (although I am not sure if I put it in the right directory). Magically quoting works and my site appears to have https now :)

Still will have to check with some users if they have posting issues.

Thank you SO much - you guys are amazing and it is nice to know you had a chance to visit Ukraine and work with them. Ukraine is a beautiful country and has lots of talented people. It's a terrible thing that it is going through this nightmare right now :(.

20abc22

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 06, 2023, 03:46:43 PMSorry for going off topic a bit, but this is an actual photo from a city street in eastern Finland. Слава Україні!

This is amazing and heartwarming - thanks so much! It made my day and I shared this with my friends and family.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 06, 2023, 03:20:12 PMhow do I do the security stuff? is this something that needs to be done through C Panel?

After your host has set up the certificate, have a look at this topic on how to implement it at your Smf forum properly.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555034.0

Steve

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 07, 2023, 01:17:40 AMadded the favicon.ico (although I am not sure if I put it in the right directory)
It goes in your root directory, where index.php and settings.php are.
DO NOT pm me for support!

20abc22

Quote from: Steve on January 07, 2023, 07:35:19 AM
Quote from: 20abc22 on January 07, 2023, 01:17:40 AMadded the favicon.ico (although I am not sure if I put it in the right directory)
It goes in your root directory, where index.php and settings.php are.

Thanks for the tip. I think that's where I put it, but I will double-check.

20abc22

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on January 07, 2023, 05:35:17 AM
Quote from: 20abc22 on January 06, 2023, 03:20:12 PMhow do I do the security stuff? is this something that needs to be done through C Panel?

After your host has set up the certificate, have a look at this topic on how to implement it at your Smf forum properly.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555034.0

Thanks a lot!!

20abc22

I still have this one user who is able to log in and post, but his session terminates in about 2 min, although he chooses the option to be logged in 'forever'. He also says he cannot log out. He does it on his mobile.

What could be causing this? is it on his end or something in the forum set up is not working? Others appear to be posting fine, including myself.

His OS is Android and Os X.

Advertisement: