News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Discussbot version 4.1 final (released 11-28-05)

Started by chadness, November 29, 2005, 01:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadness

Quote from: LortGob on November 30, 2005, 05:23:00 PM
I could try the other bridge but still....this one works right now, so why change it? ;)
To use this discussbot?  ;)

Seriously, cowboy had said he was working on a discussbot that should do all of the same stuff.  You could check over there and see how he is coming.  I had pointed him to this one to use as a base.  If I could figure out what would make it work reliably, I'd try to make it compatible with both.

LortGob

Yeah, but I don't want to wait so I'll keep trying until I get it working ;)
hxxp:www.energieportal.nl [nonactive]

yellow1912

What does it mean "The ability to automatically add links to all articles"? Sorry Im just kind of confused. Can it automatically add an article on the front page when a new thread posted on the board yet?

Thanks for your great job
My SMF forum ^^
An Ecommerce site I help to build

chadness

Quote from: yellow1912 on December 01, 2005, 10:44:55 PM
What does it mean "The ability to automatically add links to all articles"? Sorry Im just kind of confused. Can it automatically add an article on the front page when a new thread posted on the board yet?
No, it's from Joomla to SMF.  It's the "Default discussion board" part - it adds a link to the forum from all of your Joomla content articles.

Thanks for your great job
Glad to help!

chanh

This latest bot work very well!  However I have a question when I click on the link to do the discuss of the article it brings me to the forum and already created the post with "0" in the post.

Can it be setup so that I will let me enter something before I decide to post rather than the bot post "0" for my post?

Thanks

chadness

The simple answer is, yes.  Look for the option, "Would you like the discussion link to automatically start a reply, instead of viewing the topic?"  It can put you directly in to a reply, instead of automatically creating a post, by choosing either of the options "1st post only" or "Always".

I'm not sure where the "0" is coming from, though.

chanh

That works! 

Now it would be nice to get rid of that "0" in the message when I click on the link to post a message.

chadness

What do you have in the field, "Custom text for link back to article from forum"?

chanh

This is what I have in that field: "Discuss this article on the forums."

Thanks

chadness

Really?  Are you sure that's not what you have in, "Default custom text for link to forum from an article"?  That is the text that shows up in your Joomla content to point to the forum.

"Custom text for link back to article from forum" should be the message that is put in the top of the forum post, that gives a link back to the Joomla article, so it should be something more along the lines of, "Read the orignal article."

chanh

Default custom text for link to forum from an article: Discuss this article on the forums.

I copy and paste from my setup.

chadness

OK, so please confirm for me what is in "Custom text for link back to article from forum"?  Do you have "Discuss this article on the forums." there, too?

chanh

This is what it shows on the article:
(0) Discuss this article on the forums.

Thanks

chadness

No, what I'm looking for is in your Joomla administration, in the Mambot setting for the discussbot, what do you have written in the field for "Custom text for link back to article from forum".  The reason I'm wondering this is if you have "0" written in there, it will post that when you start a new article.

chanh

This is what I have in my Mambo setup screen:

Default custom text for link to forum from an article: Discuss this article on the forums.

Is this not what you are asking?

Thanks

chadness

No, I am asking for:
Custom text for link back to article from forum

What you keep telling me is:
Default custom text for link to forum from an article

See how the two are different?
"Custom text for link back to article from forum" is the one I want to know.  It should be 3 options below the one you are looking at.

chanh

Oh, I am sorry!  They are just look alike.

To answer your question there is nothing in there.

Thanks

chadness

No problem. :)

That's strange, with that blank, when you do the first post, it should put a full HTML link back to your article, and a quote of the first 700 characters (by default).  What does yours show?  Do you have a link to an example I could see?

chadness

Could you please create a test account for me so I can try creating an article?  You can PM me the info.

Advertisement: