Discussbot version 4.1 final (released 11-28-05)

Started by chadness, November 29, 2005, 01:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadness

OK, I think I've done what I can do for this version.

Here's what was added (aside from some little code improvements):

• Fixed a PHP notice.
  • Added ability to have a seperate description if there is only 1 comment (so you can have singular and plural descriptions).

Description available here.

Download available here.

I tried this out with the Joomlahacks version, and it seemed to work OK, but I had some little errors whether or not I had this installed, so it wasn't perfect.  I'd appreciate someone else testing this.

And, finally, for those just tuning in, what this is:
The purpose of this is to have discussions connected to your content items.  What it does is put a link in your article that will bring the user to a forum post for that specific article in the board you specified.  If the forum post doesn't exist yet, it will create it.

Usage : {mos_smf_discuss:Board Name} into any content item. Of course, replace "Board Name" with the actual name of the board in which you wish for the discussion to take place.

Other features include:

• The ability to automatically add links to all articles.  You can also use {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} if you have set it up to auto insert and you don't want it to show in a particular item.
  • The ability to have the link only show on the full article, not on the intro only front page.
  • The ability to see the posts from the forum at the bottom of the article, with optional parseing of the BB code and smileys.
  • The ability to have a quick reply box at the bottom of the article to add posts to the forum.

torkil

Great! Will it overwrite my old settings when I install it?

hshan

Thanks Chadness for your work on this. This is a very useful mosbot (josbot) with great parameters. Great work!

chadness

Quote from: torkil on November 29, 2005, 02:44:26 AM
Great! Will it overwrite my old settings when I install it?
If you uninstall the old one, it erases your settings.  Just upload the new files over the old ones, and then go in to the mambot parameters and save them, and it will still have your old settings. 

The only new setting is for the "singular" post text, and I deliberately made it so that if that was blank, it would fall back to using the old link text parameter, so there wouldn't be any changes to people's configuration.

And, thanks hshan.  :)

LortGob

Quote from: chadness on November 29, 2005, 01:32:16 AM
I tried this out with the Joomlahacks version, and it seemed to work OK, but I had some little errors whether or not I had this installed, so it wasn't perfect.  I'd appreciate someone else testing this.

I just tried it and can confirm that it works! I however got some errors on the bottom of every page associated with news:

Databasefailure: No Database Selected
File: /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/forum/Sources/Load.php
Line: 1877
Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0

I'm using Joomla 1.0.4, SMF 1.1 RC1 and the Joomlahacks bridge.

hxxp:www.energieportal.nl [nonactive]

LortGob

I've tested some more and that raised some questions ;)

- The post generated on the forum doesn't accurately take over the layout from the newspost. I guess this has something to do with the layout I use.

While this is minor, something else is more urgent. When there is more than one comment on the post, the newspage will not load properly anymore. It only seems to appear when you open the full post, this is the error:

Databasefout: No Database Selected
Bestand: /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Regel: 2305Databasefout: No Database Selected
Bestand: /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/forum/Sources/Load.php
Regel: 1877
Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0

Looks quite like the error I posted above, still haven't found a way to solve it.

chadness

Quote from: LortGob on November 30, 2005, 12:15:25 PM
- The post generated on the forum doesn't accurately take over the layout from the newspost. I guess this has something to do with the layout I use.
Probably - you might need to play with the CSS more.

While this is minor, something else is more urgent. When there is more than one comment on the post, the newspage will not load properly anymore. It only seems to appear when you open the full post, this is the error:

Databasefout: No Database Selected
Bestand: /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Regel: 2305Databasefout: No Database Selected
Bestand: /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/forum/Sources/Load.php
Regel: 1877

Looks quite like the error I posted above, still haven't found a way to solve it.
I saw errors similar to those that seemed to go away on their own.  I might need to start over from scratch again with another joomlhacks install and see if I can nail that down.  Please let me know if it continues to do so?  You might try different discussbot settings and see if something sets it off.

LortGob

Quote from: chadness on November 30, 2005, 12:30:55 PM
Probably - you might need to play with the CSS more.

The forum is 100% standard except for a Dutch language module so that is correct ;)

I saw errors similar to those that seemed to go away on their own.  I might need to start over from scratch again with another joomlhacks install and see if I can nail that down.  Please let me know if it continues to do so?  You might try different discussbot settings and see if something sets it off.

I played around but nothing seems to change. When I tried to change settings I once got the following error:

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /nfs/sessions) in /nfs/home/energieportal/html/energieportal.nl/administrator/index2.php on line 34

I'm not sure where that comes from, didn't occur earlier and doesn't happen again under the same circumstances.
Unpublishing the mod solves the fatal error when I try to view news, but doesn't solve the error on the bottom of the page.

Looks like someone on this forum already encountered the same error btw:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=57753.msg402244
My German is kinda rusty, but it looks like they found a solution to fix the session or something.

jorgen

A really cool bot, Chad!   ;D

But I didnt like the white background on the discuss.gif image. So I made it transparent.

jorgen

First question:
If I define a "(Optional) Custom text for link to forum with no posts", this only shows up in the article, not on the frontpage.
On the frontpage I see the default text.

Did I just find a bug or is this as designed?

chadness

The codes the same either way.  Might be a bug, though it's working fine for me.  Do you have somewhere I can see that in action?

[edit]
Looks like it's working OK here - http://www.inventorforum.net/index.php - I can see the different message for 0 posts on the front page.  Maybe your browser had it cached from before you added that?
[/edit]

chadness

Quote from: jorgen on November 30, 2005, 03:12:32 PM

But I didnt like the white background on the discuss.gif image. So I made it transparent.

Good idea.  Mind if I use that in future releases?

jorgen

Ehhhh. You're right. Must have been the cache. Working fine now   :-[

Of course anyone may use my modified discuss-picture! Thats why I posted it.

jorgen

I'm having one more problem which I could not figure out.

When viewing formatted posts under an article, like this:
http://www.inventorforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Itemid=2

I get an error saying

QuoteWarning: htmlentities(): charset `ANSI_X3.4-1968' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/jorgen/public_html/mambots/content/geshi/geshi.php on line 1608

Warning: htmlentities(): charset `ANSI_X3.4-1968' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/jorgen/public_html/mambots/content/geshi/geshi.php on line 1608

Warning: htmlentities(): charset `ANSI_X3.4-1968' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/jorgen/public_html/mambots/content/geshi/geshi.php on line 1903

Warning: htmlentities(): charset `ANSI_X3.4-1968' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/jorgen/public_html/mambots/content/geshi/geshi.php on line 1905

Is this some problem with the configuration on my web-server, or can I hack some file to make it better?

chadness

Hmmm...geshi.php is the code highlighter built in to Mambo.  I wonder if it's having a problem with the code tags being brought over from the forums, combined with your sites character encoding?

A test you might try is embedding code in a normal content item, like a news article, and see if you have the same problem.

One thing that might help with this is to download the whole geshi package from http://qbnz.com/highlighter/ and upload various files to the geshi folder, \mambots\content\geshi\geshi - I'm not sure exactly what you would need, though.
(got that info from here http://help.mamboserver.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=683&Itemid=124 )

Digging a little more, I see this error elsewhere with geshi and ANSI_X3.4-1968.  ANSI_X3.4-1968 (essentially ASCII) is basically a locale or character set that is the default for if a program doesn't have whatever one you should be loading.  Beyond that I don't know much :)

Also, I don't know if it's siginifcant, but I don't see the error on that page in IE, only in Firefox.

jorgen

Spot on, Chadness!

I replaced geshi.php with the one from the Geshi 1075, and the problem dissapeared!

Thanks for your help  8)

chadness

LortGob

Quote from: jorgen on November 30, 2005, 03:12:32 PM

Heh, I didn't like the button as well but I just changed it in the reply button from SMF :)

chadness

LortGob

After some searching without answers, the only thing that did really solve my errors (was getting some nasty fatals while logged in both in the front end and as admin as well) was deinstalling the discussbot.

I'll be trying to find a solution tho as I really would like to use this bot!

I could try the other bridge but still....this one works right now, so why change it? ;)

Advertisement: