News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mambo Open Source

Started by Sreya, February 24, 2004, 01:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sreya

Just wondering if there's anyone else planning to use SMF with Mambo Open Source. I'm currently converting my site into Mambo, and working on a bridge to create a sort of universal registration and login system -- not really creating a component out of the boards, but just hooking them in a bit.

There are several of us working on different ways to do this with several different programs -- eFiction, phpBB, Gallery, YaBBSE, etc.

Anyway, just wondering if there's anyone else interested in the project, or if someone has tried something similar, and has any useful suggestions.

Sreya

Brat

I'm in the same situation.

My site is powered by Mambo, and has been for some time.

Just like with the above poster, I'd like Simple Machines to interface with Mambo (NOT integrate). If Simple Machines had "hooks" so that it could exchange information (particularly user info) with the portal, that'd be so very nice.

Currently, I am using YABBSE, and am eagerly anticipating Simple Machines. I truly dislike PHPBB (and its various clones), but those forums do offer an option to interface with MANY portal systems, including a new Mambo component that was just released.

Again, I'm not asking for integration (though if anyone is thinking of making an SM component for Mambo, I won't cry about it  ;)), but the ability to have "One Login To Rule Them All" would be great.

Regards,
Brat.

Brat

Anyone?

I really do hope the SMF programming team is at least considering Mambo. I have been a faithful user of YABBSE since Version 1.4.1, and do not want to go anywhere else. I'm TIRED of the only option being PHPBB (which I still do not like). Even now, the Mambo main site forum is down due to "technical issues" (translation: their PHPBB forum is acting up).

I love YABBSE because it has been STABLE, performed well, and has at its core a dedicated and talented development team who has been very responsive to user needs and requests. Even if the answer is "no", the team at least tells me why.

I have tried other portal systems - darn near ALL of them, and Mambo has been fantastic for me. To have SMF as a Mambo component would just be the end-all for me.

Please, please consider Mambo - it deserves a product as wonderful as SMF.

Regards,
Brat.

Grudge

Hey,

I have to say I haven't looked at portal integration myself but if you had no problem getting YABB SE to work I can't see why SMF would be a problem. Things like the member table and authentication method have stayed pretty much the same - so I can't see why there would be a problem using SMF. If the only hooks you need are to the login type functions of SMF I think it will be fine. There may be a few tweaks that are needed but if so I'd hope we could help you with that if you had any problems once it's released. At the moment all our effort is in getting SMF bug free and ready for public release.

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

Brat

Whoops! Sorry if I'd lead you to believe that somehow I got it all integrated.  :-[

My YABBSE is not integrated. I simply am using a portal wrapper for now. If my only choice was between YABBSE and the PHPBB Mambo component... I'll stick with my wrapped YABBSE, thank you very much.  ;D

Currently, there is NO known Mambo component using YABBSE. The ONLY option right now is either PHPBB and SimpleForum (IIRC). Yeah... not real options for me.

What I'd like is either a full on Mambo module or (just as good if not better) for SMF to have "hooks" into the Mambo system. In other words, I need these systems to share AT LEAST member information.

I wish I knew PHP better, I'd try to attack it myself. As I said before, I love YABBSE, would LOVE to upgrade to SMF, but my members are getting tired of having to log in all over the place.

ANY help (and I do mean ANY) with respect to this issue is and will be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you.

Regards,
Brat.

Winters

Quote from: Sreya on February 24, 2004, 01:40:26 AM
Just wondering if there's anyone else planning to use SMF with Mambo Open Source. I'm currently converting my site into Mambo,

Yes, I am!

I am currently in the process of testing 3 CMS, namely Mambo, Xmentor, and phpwmcs. I'm not sure I will really switch from html to cms sites, but if I did, I would really appreciate a smooth integration of SMF.

AmphetaMarinE

I also am planning on using mambo... and am in the same position as you...
Wish i knew php well enough to get it integrated with SMF....

For me there is no other option as far as forum software goes....
I simply refuse to use anything other than smf or YABBSE....
There is nothing else i have seen / used which comes close to the power and flexibility of this forum software.

I would dearly love a module to integrate it into mambo... but i think i might be stuck having to learn more php and write it myself...

If i ever manage to accomplish that, be sure i will post it here for all to use   :D

Might take a while... i have never played with php until using YABBSE a few months ago....
but i'm a fast learner...
Sign Here: X..........................................................................................

Raine

I'm definitely all in for this one!

Sreya

Just so people don't think I've abandoned this after starting the thread  ;), at this point I'm planning on figuring out how to hook into the registration and login, and just direct Mambo's login to also login to the boards when a user logs into the portal. I'm doing the same with several other systems. It will probably end up working as a modified login module, instead of making a component out of the boards.

Unfortunately, I won't have the time to put it together until June. So if anyone comes up with a better way to do it before then, like actually creating a full component, great. But otherwise, I'll hopefully have a SMF-linked module for Mambo sometime this summer.

[Unknown]

If you want to contact me, some of the developers here have already done basic work on Mambo integration.

-[Unknown]

Tony Reid

Ive been using Mambo for some time now - and integrating it with SMF will be an excellent move!

Tony Reid

[Unknown]

I got an email from someone telling me that this project may be supporting SMF:

http://mosforge.net/projects/mambridge/

-[Unknown]

sylvester

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 20, 2004, 10:56:04 PM
If you want to contact me, some of the developers here have already done basic work on Mambo integration.

-[Unknown]
Could you define 'basic work'? :)

Grudge

I believe we have it so that when you login/register with one it registers/logs you in/out on the other. However, we haven't got a script to "convert" members accross that are already in one or the other - and that's essential on anything bar a clean setup.
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

We do, however, have someone - Purple Raine from Eldaronline - who wants this integration, which is why I've sorta been pushing it.

-[Unknown]

sylvester

I don't have the time to do it by myself at the moment. But, I've got a lot of time from 27th April - 6th May.... ;)

wood_flower

Hello all of you!
I'm also using Mambo 4.5 to create my own site (http://my-juju.com [nofollow]) and i'm thinking about add a comunity forum (not desired to use phpBB) to my site! If any of you already successfully plug SMF or YaBB SE into Mambo as a component/module, please tell me how to do? Thanks very much!

the13th

I would also be glad, is someone could create a "bridge" between both systems - so that a registration is shared between MOS and SMF etc.

I hope that this will be done ;)

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

the13th

Hmm - yeah..
But this doesn't fix my problem.. ;)
Because I'm interested in sharing the userbase of MOS and SMF - because I still would like to have both "systems" work alone.

Maybe someday my wishes will get fullfilled.. lol

~13~

Advertisement: