News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

MySpace Field

Started by snork13, January 29, 2006, 07:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snork13

Link to Mod

This mod will add a MySpace Icon on the Posts screen once entered it in your profile.  Your MySpace profile name will also be displayed in your profile. Mod to allow the user NOT to have to enter "http://www.myspace.com/" as part of their MySpace Username, as that is entered automtically.

Tested on 1.1RC2

Example:

Thanks goes to [Unknown] for his tutorial & AwwLilMaggie (Gmail mod), and my board members for the idea!

-snork13
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

JayBachatero

Very useful mod.  I installed it on my forum.  Maybe for next version add the button to Memberlist.template.php :)
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

TANDIONO.COM

Great Mods, Can you do one for Friendster Mods for SMF 1.0.5? Thanks  :)

dtm.exe

I actually already had an unpublished version of this mod make a while back, but that's OK :).

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=43997.msg324602#msg324602

Gary

Glad to see that you liked my Gmail Field mod. :)

-AwwLilMaggie
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

RoarinRow

My installation failed when I tried to install on three different forums I have:

1. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php Test successful
2. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/Display.template.php Test failed
3. Extract Tree ./Themes/default/images

These are the mods I currently have:

1. SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
2. SMF Arcade 1.3.0-MOD              [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
3. TinyPortal 0.86                         [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 

What code should I be looking at for Display.template.php for my SMF 1.1 RC2-1 forums?

Thanks,
RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Larathiel

SMF 1.1 RC2 here and the mod didn't seem to have any actual functionality.

Sure, after installation, there was a text field in which to enter something for MySpace so I typed in just my folder (leaving out "http://www.myspace.com/ [nofollow]" ) but when viewing my profile, it didn't actually become a URL even though the instructions suggested it would.

Also, there was no hint associated with the MySpace field. For the users' sakes, where it says:

MySpace: [_____________________]

It should probably read:

MySpace:  http://www.myspace.com/[____________________] [nofollow]

With the hint "This is your MySpace nickname." below MySpace: just as it does for AIM, ICQ, etc.

As others have suggested, a column should be added to the member list for something like this. Lastly, since ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM are all about meeting or chatting with people, MySpace should probably be grouped in that "social interaction" category rather than with the user's own personal website (especially since MySpace isn't a part of one's own private website).

I'll keep an eye out here for a more complete version. It's a good idea, just needs some more work before it's of any utility.

RoarinRow

I couldn't wait for the fix so I just installed this mod for the MySpace field in the user's profile - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=79004.0

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Larathiel

Heh, I just finished installing that mod and posting a comment there when a notification arrived in my e-mail that someone had replied to this thread. ;)

Thanks for the tip just the same, it's appreciated. :)

RoarinRow

Quote from: Larathiel on July 22, 2006, 12:35:31 AM
Heh, I just finished installing that mod and posting a comment there when a notification arrived in my e-mail that someone had replied to this thread. ;)

Thanks for the tip just the same, it's appreciated. :)

I noticed that.  No problemo.   8)

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

TechnoDragon

I have added several fields for members at my forum (including MySpace) using a technique similar to Skype and Ventrilo.  It shows up pretty much everywhere the MSN, ICQ, etc, icons are.  Still cool to see someone make a mod for it though.
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

snork13

I have completely changed the myspace mod, while nothings wrong with the old one...I just wanted to get the info into the database so I could appove more in the future. So in version 2.? I added myspace to the memberlist with sort option and added myspace to your buddy list. The user will still ONLY need to enter their myspace name in the space provided in their profile, and not the full url!

I added 2 sql files, one installs the column, and the other removes the column via the package manager.

I'm not completely done, I would like to get some feedback if your brave :P. File attached. As always I tested on a fresh mod free default forum...so if you have many mods installed you may have issues and you may need to install manually.

FOR 1.1RC2 only!

make sure to un-install the old version first and always make backups :-X

-Snork13
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

madmumbler

Worked fine for me, after I realized I had used the older version first (can you get them to delete that from the download page? *LOL*) and after I moved the graphic into my custom template folder.

Can you make one to make a field for YouTube users too?? I tried to modify this one to work to make another field for YouTube, but I didn't do it right and can't get it to work. Pretty please???? *LOL*

Thanks!
Lesli in SWFL.

Kinesthesia

When trying to install the MySpace field mod onto RC3, I received the following error:

Installations actions for "MySpace Field":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Load.php    Test failed

Any suggestions ?

LuminaRS

Any way to get this for 1.0.8?

christinedlrp

Thanks for this mod. It works so much better than the other one.  8)

GJ-tje

Quote from: Kinesthesia on September 08, 2006, 04:00:05 PM
When trying to install the MySpace field mod onto RC3, I received the following error:

Any suggestions ?
I get the same error as above...
The modification(s) XML-file also has some errors, there are lines commented, but some sentences misses the required space after <!-- ;)
When I fixed that, I was hoping that the install would work... But it didn't... :(
Help would be appreciated!
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something of equal value.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

"People should not be afraid of their Goverments. Goverments should be afraid of their People."

snork13

Quote from: GJ-tje on October 29, 2006, 04:34:03 PM

Any suggestions ?
The modification(s) XML-file also has some errors, there are lines commented, but some sentences misses the required space after <!-- ;)
When I fixed that, I was hoping that the install would work... But it didn't... :(

the modification file is fine, the commented out stuff is also fine, will be part of the memberlist. however your error has to do with the load file. I suspect you have another mod installed that is conflicting with my mod. What other mods are you running?
Mods

GJ-tje

Quote from: snork13 on October 30, 2006, 08:38:57 AM
Quote from: GJ-tje on October 29, 2006, 04:34:03 PM

Any suggestions ?

the modification file is fine, the commented out stuff is also fine, will be part of the memberlist. however your error has to do with the load file. I suspect you have another mod installed that is conflicting with my mod. What other mods are you running?

- Member Color Link
- Custom Profile Field
- Skype mod

Those are the mods I can currently think of
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something of equal value.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

"People should not be afraid of their Goverments. Goverments should be afraid of their People."

Foreverpurple

I'm getting the same error.

Mods installed:

1.     SMFShop     2.0     
2.    Ultimate Shoutbox    1.33    
3.    TinyPortal    0.86    
4.    SMFShop 1.31 to 2.0 Update    2.0
5.    Shop Item: Change Display Name CSS    0.1
6.    Ignore user    1.2    
7.    SMFShop 2.0 to 2.1 Update    2.1
8.    SMFShop 2.1 to 2.2 Update    2.2
9.    Shop Item: Profile Image