News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Custom Board Sort

Started by codenaught, July 10, 2006, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Modification's page, version 1.0.2.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

hcfwesker

Quote from: edchapman on December 01, 2011, 11:41:32 PM
Where can I get that mod, or do I need to do a Manual Install?

Download the package labeled CustomBoardSort_1.0.2.tar.gz on the MOD page .   Emulate your version to SMF 2.0 in the package manager.  and install.  Yes, any install errors that conflict with other installed packages will have to be installed manually.

edchapman

I did the manual install.. painless.. :0) thanks for the help.

Really glad to have it back. It's crucial for my worship chord chart site worshipswap.com.

Eclipse16V

I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

fullmoonya

its not installing on smf2.0.2 i emulated the version but doesn't seem to take effect. please update this sir.  :'(
do not mark my topic solve unless it is REALLY SOLVED.
my forum

Visit My Blog:
Google SEO Share

hcfwesker

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if there would be a way to sort topics by last post timestamp instead of last post ID and by topic start timestamp instead of topic start ID?

We plan to convert the posts from our old Invisionfree forums to Simplemachines format in the future, then merge them with our current board. However, we would prefer to not touch the current 225000 post IDs to prevent all site links from getting broken, so we would rather prefer to change the older 56000 post and topic IDs instead. However, SMF sorts topics by ID instead of date, so this would cause all older posts from prior 2008 to appear above everything else.

We did not attempt a merge before, because the Invisionfree board was deleted in January 2008 and Invisionfree support team took 4 years before processing the restoration/backup request.

hcfwesker

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 08, 2012, 11:01:03 PM
I wonder if there would be a way to sort topics by last post timestamp instead of last post ID and by topic start timestamp instead of topic start ID?

Yeah, thats in this MOD.  you can sort by Last Post (timestamp)  Ascending or Descending.  which would accomplish both what you're asking for.

There's also options for Alphabetical, most replies, Topic Id, Topic author, Most Viewed,  ( all can be put in ascending or descending order) ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok I thought only the option to sort by last post ID was in.

bloodsong

heyas;

a very essential mod, absolutely brilliant!  i have a forum to post my fanfic, and this lets me keep the story chapters in the proper order.

i'm having one small problem.  i was using the "next" and "previous" topic links to page through the story without having to go back to the main board each time.  but because i'm sorting with the oldest at the top, the board things the "next" topic is the one older than the current (that is, my previous chapter), and vice versa.  in other words, "next" goes to the previous topic and "previous" goes to the next topic.
   which is not a big deal, if the users get used to hitting the opposite one to navigate.  BUT... when a topic has replies, hitting "previous" takes them to the last post on the next chapter, NOT the *first* post on the next chapter.

so....  what i am wondering is... if it would be possible to update or create an add-on to this mod that would have the next/previous links actually know what order the posts were being sorted by, in a particular board, so that they know where to go, and in the proper order?  do you know what i mean?

danialasghar

How can i install this mod in SMF 2.0.2? anyone please help!

Srinib

Quote from: danialasghar on July 27, 2012, 03:09:16 PM
How can i install this mod in SMF 2.0.2? anyone please help!
You should be able to install it by Version emulation.

Srinib

Can this MOD be modified to sort the boards/Child boards?
I have a requirement were just the child boards need to be sorted in an alphabetical order. But the posts in these child boards should not get affected by this MOD. And also the posts which are displayed along with those child boards(ie. posts of the parent board) also should not get affected.

hcfwesker

Quote from: Srinib on September 18, 2012, 03:34:27 PM
Can this MOD be modified to sort the boards/Child boards?
I have a requirement were just the child boards need to be sorted in an alphabetical order. But the posts in these child boards should not get affected by this MOD. And also the posts which are displayed along with those child boards(ie. posts of the parent board) also should not get affected.

Ummm, why not just rearrange the Child Boards in alphabetical order by title under Modify Boards, by moving them until theyre in alphabetical oder?  And, this MOD lets you sort each boards and child board's topics individually in each boards modify board settings.

It only sorts the topic listings for each board, not the Boards/child boards themselves.

Srinib

You are right(and that is what i am doing now). But the nature of my forum is a bit different. We have many child boards and going forward we are expecting the list to increase.

My only concern is that, while in the process of moving the boards up and down i may mess up things. I actually did that once. Fortunately, it was just a test forum then.

hcfwesker

Quote from: Srinib on September 18, 2012, 04:11:59 PM
You are right(and that is what i am doing now). But the nature of my forum is a bit different. We have many child boards and going forward we are expecting the list to increase.

My only concern is that, while in the process of moving the boards up and down i may mess up things. I actually did that once. Fortunately, it was just a test forum then.

It's rather simple, just have 2 tabs open, so you can see which cub board the board you're moving in was originally under.  And, when you make NEW sub-boards, as long as you know that title, when creating it, you can select 'where' it'll appear with the other Boards/Sub-boards in the board create page.  Just select [AFTER - "board title"] the board it comes after alphabetically.  We do this with out blog board where each member gets their own sub-board.

Srinib

Opening 2 tabs seems to be a good idea. While creating a new board/sub-board, i don't have any issue. Thanks a lot.

Mojohaza1

Is this compatible and safe to use with 2.0.2?

codenaught

I would recommend trying to install the mod using the version emulate feature (http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Package_manager#Advanced).

If the package manager reports no problems, then I would say it is safe to install the mod for 2.0.2. The only likely problem would be if code was changed recently for the SMF 2 branch that prevented the mod from installing, but if that happens, SMF will stop you from installing it anyway.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Mojohaza1

I'm getting everything passed except:

3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php   Test successful
   2.   Replace   ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php   Test failed

Could be something wrong my theme, i'm not exactly sure what this means though.

Advertisement: