News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feeble

Ill update this later with more info, but i would probably just read the last couple of posts in this thread for more info.
Just thought i should get rid of the dated info in this post.

Essentially at this point in time, this Mod adds Drag-Drop PHP Chess to your forums. You can challenge and have a game of Chess with your mates and forum users.

If you have any suggestions, advice or layout ideas. I would love to hear.

Languages:
Language is nearly done, so what I'm going to ask now is that if you would like a translation.
The minimum I need at the moment is this document to be translated into the language that you require and also to specify if you require it in utf-8 variety.
Download the file here
This document contains all the text, located outside of the Chess Language file.

If you can either PM or email the translated document to me,  and also specify the language and if utf-8 is required, would be greatly appreciated.

Received Languages
German - translated by flame baiter
Thai UTF-8 - translated by Pongsak
Croatian UTF-8 - translated by Senad
Portuguese - translated by Bruno
Turkish - translated by PLAYBOY
French - translated by Fred

Package is for 1.1.2-3
If you installed the last package, you will need to uninstall that before going ahead with this version, I've kept the packages the same and version as well, to keep you from doing this.
Download here
Preview Here or Here - Thanks to David and weightman
Manual Theme Changes

Languages: If you do not see your language here, please follow this link
NOTE: LANGUAGE FILES ARE INCOMPLETE AND NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE TRANSLATED AS OF YET
NOTE: As with the main package, these language packs are not final, and will need to be uninstalled at a future date. What this does however, its stop your errors in your forum log regarding missing languages.
Out of date and should not be used
German
Thai UTF-8
Croatian UTF-8
Portuguese
Turkish
French

Have TP Installed?
A SMFChess Block has been put together by Lord Anubis
Download Images and Instructions
Original Post can be found here
Preview:

2 new Piece Set Pack are avaliable and have been included in the main package, kindly put together by Smith Online
Stylish - Instructions and recommended Colours are in a text file in the zip or here
Screen Shot Preview

Polished - Instructions and recommended Colours are in a text file in the zip or here
Screen Shot Preview

2 piece set packs have been included in the main package, kindly put together by Godsongz
Alpha , Harlequin , & Leipzig
Condal , Magnetic , & Marroquin

to use just upload the file contents to your "FORUM DIR/Themes/default/SMFChess/pieces/"

In Package
01/02/08
-Made a few adjustments to the javascript, hopefully should load a little quicker on slower connections
-Added two Chess variants (moreinfo)
--Dark Chess : is a devious and interesting variant of chess, in which the battlefield is covered by fog of war. All of your opponent's pieces are invisible unless when threatened by one of your own. The goal in Dark Chess is simply to capture the enemy king. There is no check or checkmate, so be sure to keep your king safe since he can be captured at any time.
--Extinction Chess : players in the game have to capture all of their opponent's pieces of any particular type. Losing your King, Queen, both Rooks, Both Bishop, Both Knights or all eight pawns will result in defeat. Check and checkmate do not apply. The King can be captured at any time.
-Added text to InstallScript.php, so you know whats its doing.
-Updated captured piece Section: now its much more compact and has been separated columns
30/01/08
-Language files are done.  :D There is no super grin, so this will do.
Only thing is that, I can't decide on redoing the ChessAdmin language file. More then likely I won't.
If I left any out, let me know but I think I caught all language snippets.
-New Colourpicker:
*Solved, uploaded a new build with fix for ie
Actually this is a lie. New colourPicker for firefox uers. About 30min ago, I wanted to make sure it was working in IE. To my surprise IE aborted the page as it tried to load. I have a feeling its to do with IE not liking dom transveral within a <form> tag under certain conditions or something. Its weird(I don't like IE so I don't mind all that much) but I'll get it working eventually or find a different one.
Also it seems to slow page loading, so more then likely I'll replace it with something else in another patch.

-Added png file support.
-Added native image size support.(0 in Piece Size in admin area)
Since we are starting to get different Chess Piece sizes I thought this would be a good idea.
-Added Chess Set Information Box
a scrolling box on the right side of selecting chess sets.
When you select a set, it will display a preview on the chess set, and display the contents of a Info.txt if it finds one.
What this means is that, you can have a small description or information regarding this chess set, who put it together, where it came from, history regarding the pieces etc.
As well as recommendations to use as your chess board colours, to go with the chess pieces.
Making this simple as well, so the users just have to click, and the colours are automatically adjusted.

P.S.: I was pretty lazy with the Info.txt files. So I'll fix that up later, or if anyone wants to create a narrative for a chess set they like, I would love to hear it. Possible history, maybe a good moment you had with it. Crushing Victory?

-Fixed PM's
Should be right now, no more \r\n etc.
-Added a 3 new Chess Sets to the main package
Stylish and Polish put together by Smith-online
and
a tribute Chess Set to Thinking Machine (Haven't got permission for this yet as I haven't received an email back yet, but I have high hopes)
Also the TM Chess Set is the first to use png image type. So it looks better, and is overall better in every way.
My new fav as well, I think it looks great.
-Added Captured Pieces
Simplistic at best. Basically just works out whats missing, and goes from there
25/01/08
Ok uploaded a new version, pretty much the same points are listed yesterday
-Improved the user search, actually looks pretty funky now.

Notes: the -95, is the difference between mine and Godsongz ELO. Arrow and Enter Key are useable to select player
-When you create a quickmatch, it will be listed now below, just so you know it has been created, and not think that you have done something wrong.
-Added a difference in ELO. so you can see a quick comparative skill to your opponent.
-added [C] next to players names on my page and leaderboard. This just means that if you want to challenge that player, just click the [C] and it will take you straight to the challenge page.
-Effects Added: Shake, Pulse and Fade Highlight
13/01/08
Without furture delay thou(been enough of that already), New version is up.
Its not that big of an update really
Mostly just contains
-alot of bug fixes
-doubling clicking should be fixed
-Chess960 Castling issues should be fixed(dont hold me to this thou, but im pretty sure)
-Better Castling - brought back castling with moving the castle. so now you have two ways to castle.
--I'm looking into lightbox scripts to make this look better as well, but thats another thing
-Much for advanced chess tag you can see examples here
-More personal ELO rating, as describe in the above post.
--I'm really interested in how this turns out, so please recount your Chess Results(Found in Chess Admin Maintenance)
Please let me know how this gets on

-Few other things, but ive forgotten as its been awhile since last update   ::)
25/08/07
-Added yours and meaction to turnname
-watching now is accurate to 20 seconds
-limited watching name to 10 chars
23-24/08/07
-Added basic move clock
-Added Upgraded Quickmatch to Challenge Page
-Move ControlMsg to below board, so that its easier to see with Board Chat
-Changed text to flip board
-Castling now avaliable in Chess960, great thank you to t0AsD for providing pretty much everything to accomplish this
22/08/07
-Select Pawn Promotion added as per request
-Can now remind(4days late)
21/08/07
-Admins can admin their own games
-Added ELO rating, starting point is 1200
-Added My Stats and Top Players on My Page
-Fixed bug with admins and finishing games
-Pieces now move back to original position if move was illegal
14-16/AUG/07
-Fixed a bug with userSearch
-Added basic Move Log
-Added Fischerrandom Chess
13/AUG/07
-Started preparing Sources files for submission
-Converted over to sa actions instead of do
-tweaked board update check

[truncated]

vbgamer45

Looks good so far! Keep up the good work. This would be a great addition to many sites.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

indigotwilight

I'll beta test it for you... send me the mod and I'll see what happens.

I have RC3 on four domains, two of which have TP v9.6, and as the TP ones are very new (only created these past few days) I can use one as a beta test site until everything's up and running.

Twilight
I write what I dream - through my writing my dreams come true

feeble

Quote from: indigotwilight on November 27, 2006, 06:51:36 PM
I'll beta test it for you... send me the mod and I'll see what happens.

I have RC3 on four domains, two of which have TP v9.6, and as the TP ones are very new (only created these past few days) I can use one as a beta test site until everything's up and running.

Twilight

thanks for your support, ill get back to you soon, when im close to releasing the beta package.

just struck my first problem, and i can do anything else till i get it sorted.
basically the drag drop script doesnt work under IE in smf, but works fine in firefox.
example page http://www.leaderless.net/index.php?page=19

anyone have any ideas? im gradually trying every possible fix i can think of.
its strange as the drag drop does work normally in ie.

from what i can tell at this point in time, is that it has to do with the <body> tags. but cant verify.

Elmacik

It seems there is something wrong with the sizing pawn image.
It works in Opera but width and height of the image is reduced.
And in IE, it seems width and height are set to 0.
Home of Elmacik

Bigguy

I will beta test also if you need me to. Very nice mod. :)

junglecat

PM me for affordable hosting. I will install your SMF forum with your choice of a theme for FREE.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join us at Christian Discussions 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

feeble

Quote from: Elmacik on November 27, 2006, 07:57:10 PM
It seems there is something wrong with the sizing pawn image.
It works in Opera but width and height of the image is reduced.
And in IE, it seems width and height are set to 0.

ah thanks for that, lol, cant believe i missed that.

umm, now just don't look at how ive fixed it for the moment.

its fowl, ill try and get a better solution later, but its work now. just that i think a few ppl out there will be rolling in their graves.

Quote from: Bigguy on November 27, 2006, 08:03:12 PM
I will beta test also if you need me to. Very nice mod. :)

Quote from: junglecat on November 27, 2006, 08:26:53 PM
I'll beta test it

for sure, ill also get back to you when im close to releasing the beta. thanks, its greatly appreciated

Elmacik

Yes, it seems you increased the width/height.
Weird but all the three browsers show the width/height absolutely the same now :)
(Opera 9.02, IE 6, FF 2.0)
Home of Elmacik

feeble

Quote from: Elmacik on November 27, 2006, 08:48:05 PM
Yes, it seems you increased the width/height.
Weird but all the three browsers show the width/height absolutely the same now :)
(Opera 9.02, IE 6, FF 2.0)

as it should be...

Elmacik

The weird thing is, yes they show the same, but bigger than normal
Home of Elmacik

franklinrony

good mod, congratulations, is public mod? sorry but i dont understan very god the english
http://twitter.com/franklinrony

Entra y aprende a ser un webmaster
www.sv-blog.com
--Si pides ayuda al menos agradece el soporte recibido----

feeble

Quote from: frony on January 23, 2007, 02:38:03 PM
good mod, congratulations, is public mod? sorry but i dont understan very god the english

thankyou,

but due to other commitments at this point in time, I have stopped work on this mod due to lack of time, and will be finished at some future date.

This mod is currently not avaliable anywhere for download to answer your question.

franklinrony

well, wait the mod, too good mod vwar bridge
http://twitter.com/franklinrony

Entra y aprende a ser un webmaster
www.sv-blog.com
--Si pides ayuda al menos agradece el soporte recibido----

PLAYBOY

Please somebody finish this mod. This mod is an incredible. Why dont some good experts work together for one thing? It doesnt have to be a "One Man Job" come on guys. we really need this thing.

feeble

Quote from: PLAYBOY on May 11, 2007, 08:43:32 PM
Please somebody finish this mod. This mod is an incredible. Why dont some good experts work together for one thing? It doesnt have to be a "One Man Job" come on guys. we really need this thing.

Hey Playboy, thanks for your interest in this project.

To tell the truth, i would love to actually start working on this again, but I just need to finish my current project.

In saying this, when i do actually eventually finish my other project, and my mates are happy with the initial release of it. Im going to start working on this again. That should be about in a couple of months or a couple of weeks depending on alot of little things.

But what I wouldnt mind doing till then is actually discussing what you and others want from this mod, other then Chess. To build a framework with what you guys want from this.

Im thinking that im going to have to rewrite, pretty much everything that ive go so far, for reasons i wont go into, so basicaly ill be starting from scratch again.

so features im thinking that it should have
-drag and drop chess using javascript(can still be used with javascript turned off)
-user custom pieces, board frame and colour scheme - stored in theme table if not default.
-Tournament - Both knock out and points based ladders.
-Game presets - casual, professional gametype. so lets say it includes timed moves, game time limit, scoring, game history, to review game.
-Feeds - ical, xml, and rss. so lets say your calendar get the ical feed. and lets you know when your move will end. tournaments are starting, your game will start, professional games. anything you might like really.
-iGoogle Gadget- so on google homepage, say your current games, current tournaments etc.

thats off the top of my head, ill update this later.

If you have any ideas at all, please write them down. just brain storming really.

PLAYBOY

Thank you for yoru reply. You have good ideas about the features. But when you are adding more features, please dont forget about the security of the forum too. Cause whenever i see the word, java or xml i always get scared of my forums security.

Also i think you dont have to add anything more than chess for now. Because thas the main thing and lets keep it fast and simple. Then you can improve it later on if you like.

We will be waiting for your good work on this. Believe me i will be sooo much appretiated when this project is done.

What do we really want from this mod?

Fast quick and easy, Chess mod for SMF thas it. When i say that i mean, i dont really care about the looking or points or something else. I just want that mod to be connected to me DB so people can use their own username when they are playing and the little section can be added for showing the "Playing Members Now"

I think it would be really good to have something like a little prototype without so many features for now. So when we are wasting some time with that, you can go ahead and work on your other projects and work to improve this.

Thank you very much for your support for our request.

feeble

your very correct about that. when i eventually get around to it, and start working on it.
it will be very simple with no real bells and whistles.

but since it will be a while before i get started(again), it cant hurt to lay down some ground work. then separate the features into legs that needs to be completed before a release.

so with javascript, it wont be anything complicated, just for the drag and drop interface.
the one that im planning on using is made by walterzorn, can have a play around with it here

when i had my demo running several months ago, it work very nicely. but even so, you can still play without it.

for the xml, its more for rss feeds which is almost a requirement for myself these days as i love them.

demarda

Waiting for this mod become real! The mod like this will become best of all our enhancement web forum! Anyone can finish this mod?!

PLAYBOY

Quote from: demarda on May 19, 2007, 08:27:59 AM
Waiting for this mod become real! The mod like this will become best of all our enhancement web forum! Anyone can finish this mod?!

I totally agree with you. Please someone take care of this mod.

Advertisement: