justboards Theme

Started by KahneFan, February 03, 2009, 08:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadon

Hi KahneFan
I really like the concept you created with this design and it's the perfect solution for boards with a lot of sections.
I made some modifications to it and I would like to know if it's possible to have your permission to use it for my site and/or distribute it for others to use. Of course, your credits will stay where they belong.
It's a work in progress but you can see my version of your theme here.

I would also like to let you know that I had a lot of messages in the error logs of my 2.0 RC1 forum. I am not sure if it's due to the modifications I made but I fixed the errors by using the index.template.php file from the default theme.

KahneFan

Hmmm, I haven't noticed any errors, but I will keep checking. That version looks great, and thank you for asking, yes you may release that version. I like how you revised the credit, great way to do it. You could also try it like this to make your credit stand out more...

"justboards theme" design by KahneFan with Modifications by Chadon
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

chadon

This is the first time I see a template like this for a forum and I am quite sure you just started a revolution in the forum world. Why do they have to be with the same configuration? Thanks for sharing your great creativity.
I wrote "modded by chadon" in the footer, it means the same but makes it a little shorter. Let me know if it's fine with you, you are the boss  ;)
Thanks again.

KahneFan

That's fine with me, thanks :D

orelanic

Thanks for making this new theme, its a realy good idea and I'm impressed with how it looks.
I wish I had the brains to do that  :D

King regards
Ade
www.therapyworld.net
TLC for minds

dwd2000

Simply put: Excellent idea.

I had to change the black text on the dark background in the headers to be able to read easier, but other than that...great.

Suggestion:
You should create a mod that would change any theme to the board format you have. (almost any theme anyway)
I'm no expert and might be wrong, but I think it might just be mostly the BoardIndex.template.php that needs to be modified. Maybe it can be an option in the admin panel or even an option for each member to choose what he/she wants to use.

Just a thought.

EDIT:
By the way, are you a NASCAR fan? (as in Kasey Kahne)
30 years ago I was young and foolish.
Now I'm just young.

DAMMIT JIM...I'M A TWEAKER...NOT A CODER!!!

Dave's Games

KahneFan

Well, it's not too hard to break the boards apart. The main restructuring comes in to play when I re-organized the information cells. So it would probably be hard to make all themes work with it. With that said, I could possibly make a boardindex.template.php and try to keep all the original classes so that it might able to be applied to more themes. I used a lot of CSS for sizing, but I could probably put it inline to make it work with more themes.

Also, for those who may not have seen it, there is a second version now available with the boards broken up into their categories: LIVE DEMO

And yes, I started watching NASCAR a year or so before Kahne began. I used to route for Jr... since everyone did, but when Kahne came around I picked him up. Hopefully he'll catch some GOOD breaks this year.

dwd2000

I was thinking that your installation process would insert the code into the existing boardindex and css files, then add something to the admin section to allow the admin to choose the format, or even to allow the members to choose which format they want. I'm not sure if SMF likes us to fool around with the default core theme. (although I've heavily modified mine instead of creating one for my own site)

Now I'm just young.

Dave's Games

KahneFan

Quote from: dwd2000 on February 21, 2009, 08:46:10 PM
I was thinking that your installation process would insert the code into the existing boardindex and css files,

The hard part about that is that some custom themes use <div>'s and some use <table>'s to create the boards. If I create the mod to replaces tables then it won't work with div themes and vise versa. I guess I could make two versions. However, that still might not do it all since most theme's css files are different.

Quote from: dwd2000 on February 21, 2009, 08:46:10 PM
then add something to the admin section to allow the admin to choose the format, or even to allow the members to choose which format they want. I'm not sure if SMF likes us to fool around with the default core theme. (although I've heavily modified mine instead of creating one for my own site)

As long as you leave the copyright in tact, they are ok with (just about) whatever needs to be done. If I could figure this one out, then I would (try) to make three options in admin: 1) adjust width of boxes (which changes # of columns), 2) Change height of description box (purely aesthetics), 3) Boards only or Boards+Categories.

dwd2000

OOPS
I noticed something in my error logs:

QuoteURL  .../index.php?action=admin
Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
File: /home/.../cache/lang_Who_english_justboards_andcategories.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 398

Quotehttp://www.friends-alumni.com/.../index.php?action=admin
8: Undefined index: categories
File: /home/...cache/lang_Who_english_justboards_andcategories.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 398

I have disabled caching, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the error.
Any ideas?
Now I'm just young.

Dave's Games

KahneFan

It has to do with the "on" icon(s) I put in the header. I did not code it correctly. I'm unsure how to code it so that it won't throw a message though :(

The only way for me to do so is to place that icon on the top of the boardindex, which I might do later. For now, to get rid of the error:

index.template.php
remove:

// Start Quick Boards

foreach ($context['categories'] as $category)

if (!$category['is_collapsed'])
{

foreach ($category['boards'] as $board)
{
echo '';

if ($board['new'] || $board['children_new'])
echo '<div class="quickboards_on"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unread">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</a></div>';

elseif ($board['is_redirect'])
echo '';

else
echo '';
echo'';
}
}
echo '<br />';

// End Quick Boards

The version on the themes area has been updated to remove this function.

dwd2000

QuoteIt has to do with the "on" icon(s) I put in the header. I did not code it correctly. I'm unsure how to code it so that it won't throw a message though :(

The only way for me to do so is to place that icon on the top of the boardindex, which I might do later. For now, to get rid of the error:

index.template.php

Seems to have worked.  ;D
Now I'm just young.

Dave's Games

KahneFan

This is in response to your question in my 2column theme.

(for anyone) If you use the "justboards_andcats" version of this theme, you can change the number of boards within the categories to 2/3/4/5/6/7... wide by changing this...

/Themes/justboards/justboards_andcategories/style/forum.css
FIND:

table.mainboardsframe

{

float: left;

padding-left: 0px;

text-align: center;

border: 1px solid #0B1469;

margin: .5%;

margin-left: 1%;

width: 23%;

}

CHANGE: 23% to whatever width you need for your # of columns:
98% = 1
48% = 2
31% = 3
23% = 4
18% = 5

These are all rounded percentages. You may need to play with the percentages to make them look correct for your application. BTW, I know the percentages above are not true to equal the column amount I gave, but I allowed enough room for the padding around the tables.

Baloch

Quote from: ormuz on February 04, 2009, 09:00:13 AM
The idea is nice, but don't work that way...

the best way to do it is something similar to this:
http://www.joomlart.com/forums/

I agreed with you.

Advertisement: