Creating Themes Video

Started by KahneFan, April 01, 2009, 05:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahneFan

If it helps, I've put together a (very) brief intro to creating themes for SMF v2.0. This will get you started and help you finish up. The middle part of coding is all up to you and your skill...

Part I - Intro To Creating Themes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869rhy0CVMs

PART II - Making Sure Your Theme is Compliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaQHVGka_E
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

shadow82x

Gotta admit, thats a very nice tutorial. :)

Thanks for spending time making that. I'm sure many new themers will benefit from it.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

KahneFan

I'm thinking about making an add-on video in regards to making sure your design is compliant and how to use the FireFox Web Developers Toolbar tool... since without that, you're theme won't be approved.

bullbreedluverz

nice 1 KF that will be helpfull for people - the compliance tutorial will be good, i have a nightmare with it lol

phpMyTony

Wow, I never expected your voice to be like that ( I didn't know what to expect it to be like :P ). Cool vid, thanks!

Drumstick

Thanks! I still use SMF 1.1.8 but maybe I can learn something from this :P. Thanks!
Sorry for my bad English

Gary

It's pretty decent. But just to point out a couple of things that I personally recommend, is that you do not work remotely, incase your server goes down for any reason, you can still work on your theme without interruption but that's just me.

Also, a large preview image isn't really required, though of course it is beneficial. Also, unless you're going to be editing BoardIndex.template.php, there's no need to include it. We do actually check to see if templates have been edited over the default, and if they have not, we will ask you to remove unedited template files.

Other than that, it is pretty decent and for most part will work fine when editing 1.1 except there wont be list items and the css directory doesnt exist among other things. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

KahneFan

Quote from: Gazmanafc on April 03, 2009, 11:08:07 AM
It's pretty decent. But just to point out a couple of things that I personally recommend, is that you do not work remotely, incase your server goes down for any reason, you can still work on your theme without interruption but that's just me.

My $.02, most people who need a video like this, probably don't have the ability to set up a desktop version of SMF to test locally. Including myself, which is why I just suggest to use a test site outside of your main site. Plus, tbh, I've (heard) it's better to test live anyway, so you can see a true version of what the site will look like. It's my understanding that what a local version produces may not be the same as what a live version produces. And if you have any type of a decent host, down time should not be an issue.

Also, a large preview image isn't really required, though of course it is beneficial. Also, unless you're going to be editing BoardIndex.template.php, there's no need to include it. We do actually check to see if templates have been edited over the default, and if they have not, we will ask you to remove unedited template files.

I will make a revised version of this video at some point which excludes this step, since you're right, it's not needed. However, for now, I have notated the video with comment bubbles.

Other than that, it is pretty decent and for most part will work fine when editing 1.1 except there wont be list items and the css directory doesnt exist among other things. :P

I do have a 1.1.x forum that I can try to create a video with if there is a feeling that it would be beneficial.

In regards to your point #2, I will pull that part out and probably make a part II to this video in regards to what to do to edit extra templates. Any other points which I should include in an "advanced" editing video?

Drumstick

QuoteI do have a 1.1.x forum that I can try to create a video with if there is a feeling that it would be beneficial.

That would be awesome!
Sorry for my bad English

Gary

KahneFan - There's no real need to edit anything, more often than not people actually do edit BoardIndex.template.php I was simply saying that if you have no intention on editing it, why bother including it. :P

Also as for the local vs. remote thing, there's no difference in presentation. If you were to put the same data onto both a localhost and a remote server, graphically, they'd be the same. To establish a localhost, is actually pretty simple, since you can find free packages out there like XAMPP to install everything you need to get it running, Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin in one go without any configuring.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

KahneFan

I'll have to check those out, thanks!!

(That might have to be included for the advanced video :D)

- Lawrence -

Ah man that was a useful video, I may actually attempt to make a theme now :).

Thanks.

Antechinus

Definitely put the local testing option in the next video. Anyone who is capable of installing and using SMF is also capable of installing and using a local host package. They really are very simple to set up and save a lot of time and effort when testing themes and mods, or even when verifying database backups. This is particularly true for people on slower and/or unreliable connections.

In my opinion the best one is Vertrigo, with XAMPP being the next best. Both of these come with a good interface and good documentation in several languages.

http://vertrigo.sourceforge.net/?lang=eng

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

KahneFan

OK, I'm trying out Vertrigo. Seems pretty cool so far... except I haven't gotten very far. I figured out the PhpMyAdmin name/pass, so I'm ready to setup my forum. I have the server running, but when I go to open index.php of my forum folder, I just get the php page, it's not parsed. Do I need to view it differently?

Also, a few things I thought about between web vs local...

- I mod/theme from 2, sometimes 3 computers/notebooks, so a web interface is VERY handy for this.

- While editing there are times I like to come here (or iPost) and ask "What do you think about..." Or, "How should I adjust...", again, a web interface is much more handy for this. Granted, I could begin editing locally, then load to the web when I have questions, but it's easier to just start on the W instead of having to move later.

- (1&2 together), if help is needed with a mod/theme, with a web interface you can simply give a helper a login and they're ready to roll. With local, they have to have one of these programs, know how to use it, and have a copy of the forum as well.

Antechinus

You need to create a database in phpMyAdmin and then load the SMF files into a folder under the Vertrigo www folder, then run install.php like any other SMF installation.

I use one computer for all my design work and am too bloody arrogant to ask for feedback while it's WIP. :D
I'm also on a 512/256 sat link that sometimes lives up to its promised speed. Doing all my design and testing on a local makes a lot of sense for me. I also have online test sites for final checking or if I hit a coding problem and want feedback.

KahneFan

6 of 1, half dozen of the other :D

As long as I have my PhpMyAdmin name/pass, doesn't SMF usually create the db?

Antechinus

No. You have to create it yourself. SMF will create the tables once the db is there.

Gary

Actually, in some cases, SMF's installer can create the DB for you.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

Tiribulus

Quote from: Antechinus on April 08, 2009, 06:46:44 PM
Definitely put the local testing option in the next video. Anyone who is capable of installing and using SMF is also capable of installing and using a local host package. They really are very simple to set up and save a lot of time and effort when testing themes and mods, or even when verifying database backups. This is particularly true for people on slower and/or unreliable connections.

In my opinion the best one is Vertrigo, with XAMPP being the next best. Both of these come with a good interface and good documentation in several languages.

http://vertrigo.sourceforge.net/?lang=eng

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

Now he tells me :'( I went through a colossal hoop jumping spree setting this machine up from scratch. Oh well, it was good education anyway :)

KahneFan

Part II (compliance) has been added above.

Advertisement: