On this page you will find the legacy Simple Machines License and BSD license (SMF 2.0+). There is also a special copyright page available that contains answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions about this license.
BSD License (SMF 2.0+)
Developed by: Simple Machines Forum Project
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the names of Simple Machines Forum, Simple Machines, nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this Software without specific prior written permission.
Simple Machines License (SMF 1.0 and 1.1)
- This Package is defined as all of the files within any archive file or any group of files released in conjunction by Simple Machines, Simple Machines, or a derived or modified work based on such files.
- A Modification, or a Mod, is defined as instructions, to be performed manually or in an automated manner, that alter any part of this Package.
- A Modified Package is defined as this Package or a derivative of it with one or more Modification applied to it.
- Distribution is defined as allowing one or more other people to in any way download or receive a copy of this Package, a Modified Package, or a derivative of this Package.
- The Software is defined as an installed copy of this Package, a Modified Package, or a derivative of this Package.
- The Simple Machines Website is defined as https://www.simplemachines.org/.
- Permission is hereby granted to use, copy, modify and/or distribute this Package, provided that:
- All copyright notices within source files and as generated by the Software as output are retained, unchanged.
- Any Distribution of this Package, whether as a Modified Package or not, includes this license and is released under the terms of this Agreement. This clause is not dependant upon any measure of changes made to this Package.
- This Package, Modified Packages, and derivative works may not be sold or released under any paid license. Copying fees for the transport of this Package, support fees for installation or other services, and hosting fees for hosting the Software may, however, be imposed.
- Any Distribution of this Package, whether as a Modified Package or not, requires express written consent from Simple Machines.
- You may make Modifications to this Package or a derivative of it, and distribute your Modifications in a form that is separate from the Package, such as patches. The following restrictions apply to Modifications:
- A Modification must not alter or remove any copyright notices in the Software or Package, generated or otherwise.
- When a Modification to the Package is released, a non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to Simple Machines to distribute the Modification in future versions of the Package provided such versions remain available under the terms of this Agreement in addition to any other license(s) of the initial developer.
- Any Distribution of a Modified Package or derivative requires express written consent from Simple Machines.
- Permission is hereby also granted to distribute programs which depend on this Package, provided that you do not distribute any Modified Package without express written consent.
- Simple Machines reserves the right to change the terms of this Agreement at any time, although those changes are not retroactive to past releases. Changes to this document will be announced via email using the Simple Machines email notification list. Failure to receive notification of a change does not make those changes invalid. A current copy of this Agreement can be found on the Simple Machines Website.
- This Agreement will terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the limitations described herein. Upon termination, you must destroy all copies of this Package, the Software, and any derivatives within 48 hours.