News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Welcome To Simple Machines!

Started by David, August 02, 2003, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 10, 2003, 10:49:35 AM
Hey Jeff... any idea as to when we will see the first beta version of SMF?

Of course I know ;)

We have given a target release date to Charter Members where will will set RC1 loose to them. The whole process will contain three release candidates before we release a 1.0.

Charter Members will work with RC1 and RC2 and an open beta will work with RC3.
Co-Founder of SMF

[Unknown]

Umm.. I'd rather phrase it more like, they're getting beta 1, they'll get beta 2, and they'll get RC1... or something.  And then RC2 (and 3, if there is one..) is public...

Just because RC and beta mean different things to me - RC means I can't add new features...

-[Unknown]

Jeff Lewis

Whatever name we give them then, the idea is the same across the board  :P  ;)
Co-Founder of SMF

eFishie

What? THat I'll be the last one with a copy of SMF because I can't afford Charter Membership?

You know, it would be nice of you to give me charter membership as a gift . . .  ;D
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Jeff Lewis

It's our way of thanking those that support us :) We then thank the rest of the user base with an open beta as opposed to a close beta :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Scott Hamilton

I just signed up as a Charter Member, absolutely love the old, waiting on the new with much anticipation.

You guys ROCK!
Been with SMF since the YabbSE Days...
http://www.fordpinto.com

eFishie

They do rock, but the only way I can support them is by sending them occasional dollar bills.
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Oldiesmann

Quote from: <?php Piranha ?> on September 10, 2003, 11:50:10 PM
They do rock, but the only way I can support them is by sending them occasional dollar bills.

Same here... I don't like the idea that I won't get to see any development until the final release candidate. Surely you guys can come up with a better reward for supporters, and more options for support would also be nice. You could set it up so that people have several "support levels" to choose from, and give them free "stuff" for supporting you, and let everyone beta test all the release candidates. I didn't start running my own YaBB SE board until right around the time 1.51RC1 was released, so I haven't really had the fun experience of beta-testing stuff. Give us college students a break! I'll gladly send you guys a little bit of money here and there when I can afford it, but I don't think that people should get priveleges to test earlier releases just because they can afford to pay $50 a year.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

bostasp

Quote from: <?php Piranha ?> on September 10, 2003, 11:50:10 PM

Then save up the dollar bills... and sell old stuff...  :P ;D

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 11, 2003, 02:33:42 AM
but I don't think that people should get priveleges to test earlier releases just because they can afford to pay $50 a month.

It's $50 for the year, not each month...
Co-Founder of SMF

eFishie

I can get domain names cheaper than that!!

$4.95 for piranhaweb.us, a price I could pay, it's 5 bucks a year. 50 bucks a year, I could probably not manage.

How is a high school student supposed to be a charter member?
--Jon

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: <?php Piranha ?> on September 11, 2003, 08:11:57 AM
How is a high school student supposed to be a charter member?

By getting a paper route? It's not for everyone I admit but it's there. I am sorry you can't take advantage of it.

You'll still get to beta test, just not the first go around.

One of our Charter Members has a lot of difficulty money wise and managed to become one after reorganizing things and chatting with me.
Co-Founder of SMF

eFishie

How about if I become a mod developer? Do I get sooner beta tests so I can make mods? How the hell does (or did) BoardMod work?
--Jon

Tony Reid

I remember suggesting  a while back, that YaBBSE had some form of paid membership - to allow users access to early betas....

http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?thread=23270/15

To me it certainly makes sense, and will help to provide a more focused product - with some umph behind it. Its a much better model, than a lot of other projects out there.

Maybe you'll just have to wait a little :)

Tony Reid

[Unknown]

When it boils down to it, we're thanking you for supporting us.  After all, the server is not free... and even if it were, nothing else is.  If you help us pay for such things that we need, we're more than glad to thank you in the only way we can - but if you can't, sorry... we'll still thank you for being here... but later.

-[Unknown]

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on September 11, 2003, 07:23:39 AM
Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 11, 2003, 02:33:42 AM
but I don't think that people should get priveleges to test earlier releases just because they can afford to pay $50 a month.

It's $50 for the year, not each month...

That's what I meant... What I'm saying though is that you should have more options for supporting you, like PBS and certain radio stations do, and also base the "premiums" on that level - ie, those who support you the most get the earliest version to test, and maybe a t-shirt or their choice of an item from the store, and then go down from there, so that everyone who supports you gets something and what they get depends on how much they can afford to spend.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Wezz6400

Thing is that with the charter membership you get something you couldn't get before. If don't want to pay or if you can't offord it you will still get access to every version you had access to before. Only now you can get access to versions you couldn't get access to before by paying $50 a year. Something that may be a lot for a student like me, but for an adult with a full-time job it shouldn't be a problem I think. And you still can get the software for free.

Jeff Lewis

Exactly :)

Perhaps we'll look at more down the road but for now, this is what we offer - and it's been well received so far.
Co-Founder of SMF

David

Quote from: Wezz6400 on September 11, 2003, 06:24:27 PM
Thing is that with the charter membership you get something you couldn't get before.
Exactly, the betas that charter members get were never prviously released to the public.
This space for rent.

antibob

when will the charter members get their hands on SMF?

thanks,
AB

Advertisement: