News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB - 2.0.19+

Started by JayBachatero, January 13, 2007, 02:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBachatero

No it was after I posted that one.  This is another version.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Bernie

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 02, 2007, 01:46:46 AM

Just tried it...  100% success.  No errors reported.

I'll go look and see how it did in what it imported and post you a report later.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
If you do this, you can become his
Evil Minion, and not just another victim.

kc5hwb

I am trying to use this converter and not having much luck.  When I enter the settings that I think are right, this is the error I get:

Unable to find the settings for phpBB2. Please double check the path and try again.

Am I suppossed to be pointing this form to the live db?  I made a backup of the db and uploaded it to my new forum directory and tried to input that path, but I am getting the same error.

JayBachatero

You need to make it point to the correct phpBB directory.
Follow me on Twitter

SRaven

I would like to convert my phpBB forum to SMF, but I'm also using a portal on it, will that be a problem, or will it just remove it?
also a readme file would be nice with the download with instructions on what to do. I have no clue how to do this or even how to start  :-\ .
Will it totally delete all the phpbb files and replace them with smf?
Will it remove all tables and rows from the DB that are not used in SMF?

Sorry about the questions, but the idea of doing this terrifies me, I'm afraid something will go wrong I'm going to lose all or parts of the content in my forum thats been up and active for over 2 years(yes even with making a backup) lol

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

SRaven

heh yeah I JUST found that and came back to edit my post lol
one thing it didn't mention is, after its converted what do I do with the old forum files? can I delete them and the phpbb DB tables?
And if my phpBB forum is at mydomain.com and I install SMF in mydomain.com/smf and convert will I still have to use that path to the new smf forum? or will it be accessable with mydomain.com?

JayBachatero

You can delete your old forum and database.

After you install smf to the smf dir you can then move it to the root dir and use repair_settings.php to fix the paths.
What is repair_settings.php?
Follow me on Twitter

SRaven

Great! thanks! I'm starting to feel alot better about this now  :D

JayBachatero

You'll feel even better after you convert :P.
Follow me on Twitter

SRaven

oh yes, I know I will. I already have a separate smf forum running(Altered Universe link in my siggy), thats what made me decide to want to convert my phpbb forum ;)

Bernie

Quote from: Bernie on February 02, 2007, 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: JayBachatero on February 02, 2007, 01:46:46 AM

Just tried it...  100% success.  No errors reported.

I'll go look and see how it did in what it imported and post you a report later.

Jay, I had to reinstall the forum, and the DB, because of something I screwed up.  Anyway, even with the new sql it's still putting all the smilies in the post window, and none in the popup.  I'll do a regular sql query to reset the hidden code for all of them to "2", then move the few I want displayed in the post window up there.  (I'm also quite willing to test any changes to the script, since the new forum isn't live yet)

That should hold me over until I can write a mod that will categorize them and put them in tabbed popup windows.

Again, you've been a huge help here and I thank you sincerely.
(\__/)

JayBachatero

Bernie can you please go to phpMyAdmin and tell me me the highest number of ID_SMILEY in the smileys table?

Ok try this file.  I change the order in which things were done.  Hope it works this time.
Follow me on Twitter

Bernie

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 04, 2007, 01:56:07 AM
Bernie can you please go to phpMyAdmin and tell me me the highest number of ID_SMILEY in the smileys table?

Ok try this file.  I change the order in which things were done.  Hope it works this time.

1442 Jay.  Should be higher than that, but I think I had a few duplicates.
(\__/)

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Bernie

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 04, 2007, 02:04:57 AM
Just try the file that I posted.

I'll give it a try as soon as my search index finishes.  Might be a couple of hours.
(\__/)

SRaven

WOW, that went great! no errors at all. I'm still checking the forum for anything missing but looks good so far :D

One thing I noticed is that the post count titles didn't go over well...all of the title have phpbb infront of them lol
for example, one title was 'Warlord' and instead it says 'phpbb Warlord'  LOL All of the  membergroup names also have phpbb in front of them.
Also some of the  [ url ] and [ img ] tags in sigs are messed up adn (this is the strange part) there are some posts that say they from guest(deleted or banned members?) in some threads that aren't even in the old forum! LOL

Actually the tag thing I think has more to do with the very first character in all the sigs being missing...

JayBachatero

got an example of the messed up tags?
Follow me on Twitter

Bernie

Quote from: Bernie on February 04, 2007, 02:16:53 AM
Quote from: JayBachatero on February 04, 2007, 02:04:57 AM
Just try the file that I posted.

I'll give it a try as soon as my search index finishes.  Might be a couple of hours.

5th time was the charm Jay.  All the smilies are now in correct locations.

I believe what SRaven is talking about is that the converter prepends "phpbb" onto the name of any member group or rank that it carries over.  It would probably be better to just bring the groups and ranks over under their original names, and only make a change in case of conflict.

One of the problems faced by anyone trying to convert over is that there's a ton of setup work to do, particularly with permissions and membergroups.  That alone can take a day or more.  If you've closed down your previous system, all well and good.  But, if you're keeping phpBB "live" while you work on the new system, then you have the problem of importing any new posts/members without undoing all the changes you just made.

It might work better, for those kinds of situations, to have the converter pause for confirmation between tasks, giving the option to skip tasks.  In the above example, you could skip all tasks except the copying over of topics and posts, and not have to worry that you'll have to do everything all over again.
(\__/)

etdwh

Added ordering to smilies and converting between post and popup smilies.

SELECT code AS code, smile_url AS filename, emoticon AS description, smilies_id AS smileyOrder, IF(smilies_id > 25, 2, 0) AS hidden
FROM {$from_prefix}smilies
ORDER BY smilies_id;

Works great now  :)
Only problem is multiple smilies codes sharing the same icon. ;) and ;-);)
The same image shows up twice in the post form/popup.
If there was a way to hide the first one, and set everything else to hidden..right now i have to do that manually  :(

As for the duplicate entries when converting posts, try putting your forum in maintenance mode or offline before you start the conversion.

Quote from: Bernie on February 04, 2007, 01:52:29 AM
That should hold me over until I can write a mod that will categorize them and put them in tabbed popup windows.

Sounds like a great mod in the making  :D
Makes sense for forums with lots of smilies

Advertisement: