News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB - 2.0.19+

Started by JayBachatero, January 13, 2007, 02:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBachatero

@Bernie: I'm not sure what's the reason to adding phpbb as a prefix for membergroups.  I would have to get Grudge to answer that one.

I regards to having the converter pause/resume/skip I've been wanting to do this for a while now but I just don't have the time to work too much on the converter besides fixing it and making sure it's working correctly.

etdwh I don't get what you mean about the ;-) and ;).  They are supposed to show the same image.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

SRaven

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 04, 2007, 08:56:17 AM
got an example of the messed up tags?

its actually not really a case of messed up tags.. where the problem is, is that the first character in the sigs have dissappeared. so, if you have an img  or url in your sig it now looks like:
url=http://blah blah]blah blah[/url]  or
img][/img]
and if its text, the first letter is missing.

JayBachatero

Umm I set it correctly on the convert file. Open the file.  There is a line like this "$row['signature'] = substr($row['signature'], 0, 65534);".  Does the line match or is there a 1 after $row['signature']?
Follow me on Twitter

etdwh

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 04, 2007, 11:32:25 PM
etdwh I don't get what you mean about the ;-) and ;).  They are supposed to show the same image.

In phpbb (not sure how), its possible to have several codes for the same image.
So..;-) :wink: and '; )' [<--i added a extra space] will show ;) . But, only one code is shown in the popup/post forum.
So users only see '; )' is the post form. But if they manually enter :wink: or ;-)..its still shows the image ;)

In SMF, i need to set the smiley for ;-) and :wink: to hidden for the same effect

I hope you get what i mean.

margarett

Yes I had to to that myself... Set the "duplicates" to hidden does the trick ;)

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

JayBachatero

It can be done with the converter but I think its best if left for the admin to do.  That way they can select what they want hidden and what they want to be shown.
Follow me on Twitter

margarett

Yes I agree with you. For instance the ;) has 3 codes:

;)
;-)
:wink:

And the first one is :wink:. Well, I like the ;) much more, so I changed it my way ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SRaven

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 05, 2007, 02:06:07 AM
Umm I set it correctly on the convert file. Open the file.  There is a line like this "$row['signature'] = substr($row['signature'], 0, 65534);".  Does the line match or is there a 1 after $row['signature']?

Found that line in the sql file, not the convert file(convert.php)...
and this is what it says in the file I have:

$row['signature'] = substr($row['signature'], 1, 65534);
So yes, there was a 1

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

etdwh

Quote from: margarett on February 05, 2007, 09:51:43 AM

;)
;-)

And the first one is :wink:. Well, I like the ;) much more, so I changed it my way ;)

I agree, thats why i have created a seperate SQL script to setup the smilies once the conversion is complete. ;)
There is about 200+ smilies in my forum now, so manually editing it ONCE should be enough  :D

So far so good. I have been doing all the conversions as a test at home with no problems. Hopefully the live conversion goes well  :-\

Bernie

Quote from: etdwh on February 05, 2007, 10:44:02 PM

;)
;-)

I agree, thats why i have created a seperate SQL script to setup the smilies once the conversion is complete. ;)
There is about 200+ smilies in my forum now, so manually editing it ONCE should be enough  :D

So far so good. I have been doing all the conversions as a test at home with no problems. Hopefully the live conversion goes well  :-\

What does your script do?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
If you do this, you can become his
Evil Minion, and not just another victim.

etdwh

Quote from: Bernie on February 05, 2007, 11:06:36 PM
Well, I like the ;) much more, so I changed it my way ;)

Its just a collection of SQL statements to empty the smilies table and insert everything the way i like. Basically, i just setup the smilies the way i like once, then export the smilies table to a SQL script.
Once I have converted the forum, i just use phpMyAdmin to run the SQL script. No need to setup the smilies again.

Bernie

Quote from: etdwh on February 06, 2007, 12:49:27 AM
Quote from: Bernie on February 05, 2007, 11:06:36 PM
Well, I like the ;) much more, so I changed it my way ;)

Its just a collection of SQL statements to empty the smilies table and insert everything the way i like. Basically, i just setup the smilies the way i like once, then export the smilies table to a SQL script.
Once I have converted the forum, i just use phpMyAdmin to run the SQL script. No need to setup the smilies again.

Ah, okay, that's an improvement upon the way Jay handles them in his converter script, for your setup at least.

Mine is a little more complex since I've got over 7 times the number you have and they're categorized.  I really need to write that mod for SMF, but I've been too busy.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
If you do this, you can become his
Evil Minion, and not just another victim.

margarett

I have done it in another way... As I made several conversions to get used to SMF, one of those times I set up all the smileys the way I want. Then I saved the table "smf_smileys" and the smileys folder. When it was "final" I overwritten the smilies table with the "complete" one, and also the smileys folder. There is no connection (indexes or whatever) to other tables, so you can just "paste" a previous table ;)

Brunol

OK,
I am in the process of installing SMF to start converting. However, I keep getting this message.

The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some hosts, you have to create the database in your administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefixes - like your username - to your database names.

I tried making a database in Mysql, but it keeps getting this error message. I know I sound stupid, but this is my first with php.

odbayarb2000

Please help me.
I am new to this stuffs.
What values should I insert in highlighted by red .
Give me some examples.
http://www.oitamongols.com/ [nofollow]
Accessibility: All Browsers(I believe)
Language: Mongolian
Content: Student Community

odbayarb2000

Quote from: Brunol on February 17, 2007, 02:14:32 AM
OK,
I am in the process of installing SMF to start converting. However, I keep getting this message.

The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some hosts, you have to create the database in your administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefixes - like your username - to your database names.

I tried making a database in Mysql, but it keeps getting this error message. I know I sound stupid, but this is my first with php.

Hi I am also new to this stuff.
Have you installed your SMF in your server?
Does it work properly ?
If so you can start converting your forum.
http://www.oitamongols.com/ [nofollow]
Accessibility: All Browsers(I believe)
Language: Mongolian
Content: Student Community

JayBachatero

Did you guys install SMF before converting?  You need to have SMF up and running before converting.
Follow me on Twitter

tsp_derek

last night i ran the converter using the version available on the download page which i also downloaded last night.  from the look of things, i shouldn't have run that version.

my users are experiencing all the problems i've seen mentioned in this thread:

phpbb added to their ranking
unable to access profiles, make posts, etc
permissions to hidden sections removed

I've not seen anything in the thread about whether or not those problems are resolved by using the new converter.  Can I assume that they have been, or is this an unresolved issue?  If a new converter will fix it, then I can easily remove the old DB and start from scratch.

Hafdís

Hi
I am not sure where to put this files convert.php and phpbb2_to_smf

my phpbb is located here http://www.koddinn.com/spjall [nofollow]
and my smf bord here http://www.koddinn.com/spjallid [nofollow]

and before i install this, i have have to have clean smf board, no posts in it ?
Enjoy your life, while you are here

Advertisement: